Boldin is no longer an elite receiver

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lost in the debacle that was the Colts game was a tough, GAM performance by Boldin.

I thought Boldin led the team in yards received yesterday with something like 81? Maybe I dreamed that. Anyway, I am not ready to bury him after 4 game just like I was not ready to bury Kurt Warner a few tmes when people were calling for his scalp.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Boldin led the team in yards received yesterday with something like 81? Maybe I dreamed that. Anyway, I am not ready to bury him after 4 game just like I was not ready to bury Kurt Warner a few tmes when people were calling for his scalp.

He did he lead the team in catches in yards.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Yes I'm as big a Boldin homer as they come. However this thread is just plain ********!

You guys do realize that that guy you are calling no longer an elite WR just did all of this just last season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n527PgTzSIw

You have guys in here making comments like these: "Its more the lack of speed and burst I have noticed with him the last year.. He has been caught from behind by weak arm tackles and just doesnt break as many as he used to."

For the last year??? WTF are you talking about? That video and last year having 2 TD's of 70+ yards says otherwise. I dont see anyone gaining on Q in those videos. Nor do I see any speed or getting open problems.

Now if you want to bitch that he has been hurt to much or fumbles to much that is one thing. But he has been that way HIS WHOLE CAREER! Now you are all looking for some imaginary excuse to call him not elite. When he has done that THE WHOLE TIME! This is really nothing new. With Q you are going to get some fumbles thats a fact.

The guy played hurt in the first game this year and was like 70%. Was about 85% in the second game and still played well. Against the Colts he was a STUD and was faking Marlin Jackson out of his freaking shoes with his crisp routes. This last game he was damn good too outside of the fumble. 7 for 81 yards and that sweet catch on the sideline is a pretty solid performance. He is on pace for 92 catches and over 1000 yards again even with the slow start. Odds are he will get even better as the years moves on.

Youy guys kill me with your short memories.

This is true for the most part. What Boldin is today is really not anything different than what he's been his whole career. He is a warrior. Plane and simple. He has never been a huge threat in the way Fitz, or Breaston, or Moss, are "threats" however. He is a short to mid-range, possession type BEAST! Who once the ball is in his hands, will attempt to punish anyone who even thinks about getting in his way. This will produce fumbles. The one yesterday literally happened directly in front of me. I had a perfect view of the play and it was all on Boldin. No, a helmet did not hit the ball. In fact, nothing from a defender's body or helmet hit the ball. Q did take a tough shot when he was in a very compromised position. He did not protect the ball well enough and the hit from the defender caused the ball to spring loose. It was a bang-bang play as Q had just caught the ball and immediately tried to make a play. Hard to fault him for that. However, he did cough it up...

Is Q slowing down? Hard to say... It's reasonable to assume that the littany of injuries he's suffered over the years are beginning to take a toll. I have no doubt that his shelf-life does not extend much further beyond the next 3-4 years. He just turned 29 but to me, he's on the older side of a 29 year old. Fitz just turned 26 but to me, he's on the younger side of 26 and I can easily see him producing at the highest levels for the next 7... 8, maybe even 9 years.

Q, contrary to what his ego and heart tell him, never was and certainly isn't now a #1 receiver. But, he's still the best #2 in the game and I would hate to see him in some other uniform...

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Hey guys "We won"! 2 & 2 is about where I thought we would be. We have a decent shot at the division title if we stay healthy.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
Sad to say that Boldin has played his way out of consideration as an elite receiver and any sort of equating contract. He is at best a #2 and has shown serious deterioration of skills the last two seasons. His inability to hold on to the ball is of serious concern as according to KTAR, Boldin has more fumbles lost the past two seasons than any other WR in the NFL.

The Cardinals played their hand right and will rightfully let Boldin play out his contract. Seems they say what some of the fans with rose colored glasses failed to acknowledge; Anquan has taken too many hits and has already seen his peak come and go. Steve Breaston is the future of this team, not Boldin. You can argue this all you want, but the statistics speak loudly

Agreed. Fitz and the Breast-Man are outplaying him by several orders of magnitude

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I really and truly believe Q is the "Ray Lewis of the Cardinals." He's a guy who lays it on the line each and every week, and thus has earned the right to get in his teammates' face if they aren't giving it all. I don't pretend to know everything that goes on in the locker room, but I know enough to realize the guy has taken on the role of a team leader and just the way he gutted it out in week one should earn everyone's respect and admiration.

Blast away at the guy if you want, but I consider him the type of player who has earned the benefit of the doubt, and I will gladly extend it. I'm glad he's an Arizona Cardinal. And I wish we had 52 more with his attitude and leadership.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a perfect view of the play and it was all on Boldin. No, a helmet did not hit the ball. In fact, nothing from a defender's body or helmet hit the ball. Q did take a tough shot when he was in a very compromised position.

I have to question your eyeballs on this one on a full speed in person view. I just re-watched the game. They have a a full view camera in HD right on the goal line. I replayed it in super slow motion and the CB coming in to make the hit absolutely puts his helmet right into the ball and chest of Q. Clear as day. Might want to make an appt. with the optometrist my friend. :D

BTW I'm not excusing the fumble. Just stating what happened. He still should have hung on by securing it better.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I have to question your eyeballs on this one on a full speed in person view. I just re-watched the game. They have a a full view camera in HD right on the goal line. I replayed it in super slow motion and the CB coming in to make the hit absolutely puts his helmet right into the ball and chest of Q. Clear as day. Might want to make an appt. with the optometrist my friend. :D

BTW I'm not excusing the fumble. Just stating what happened. He still should have hung on by securing it better.

Well, from what I saw - without the benefit of TV replays, it looked like the defender's helmet never touched the ball, rather it hit Q's forearm which jarred the ball free.
But come to think of it, I have seen the eye doc in a few years... hmmmm....

EDIT: Just watched this clip: http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/09000d5d81353b34/Cardinals-28-Texans-21. Still hard to tell from the video, but unless there is more conclusive video, I'm gonna stick with what I believe I saw - that the helmet did not actually touch the ball...

Last edited:

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I don't think Q had the chance to secure the ball as he was hit right after the catch.

seesred

Reaction score
Q is still the man. There are some balls that no matter what you do they will hit the turf. He IMO is still a top 10 reciever.

GBR

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
That jumping catch he had was awesome --looked a little like a Fitz move.

DieHardCardFan

Dallas 2011
Reaction score
Well, from what I saw - without the benefit of TV replays, it looked like the defender's helmet never touched the ball, rather it hit Q's forearm which jarred the ball free.
But come to think of it, I have seen the eye doc in a few years... hmmmm....

EDIT: Just watched this clip: http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/09000d5d81353b34/Cardinals-28-Texans-21. Still hard to tell from the video, but unless there is more conclusive video, I'm gonna stick with what I believe I saw - that the helmet did not actually touch the ball...

That video is to blurry to see much when you pause and start it over and over. When it happened EVERYONE in my area said just what I said, he got hit and then bam the DB that hit him next rammed his helmet right into the ball. I am sure at some point there will be a better view made available. But if Shane says he watched it in HD and saw the helmet hit it then I will stick with what I believe I saw at the game as well.

I too think this whole topic is a joke. Q is not playing any different than he always has. The man is a true stud at WR and it really suprises me that this many Cards fans are seeing the man the way it sounds in this thread.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That video is to blurry to see much when you pause and start it over and over. When it happened EVERYONE in my area said just what I said, he got hit and then bam the DB that hit him next rammed his helmet right into the ball. I am sure at some point there will be a better view made available. But if Shane says he watched it in HD and saw the helmet hit it then I will stick with what I believe I saw at the game as well.

I too think this whole topic is a joke. Q is not playing any different than he always has. The man is a true stud at WR and it really suprises me that this many Cards fans are seeing the man the way it sounds in this thread.

On the TV version that give replays from the front and the side it is crystal clear and blatantly obvious that the helmet hit the ball.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
No longer an elite receiver? He had one bad game, one meh game, and two solid games so far. Some of you are ridiculous, no longer elite because of two games? He got absolutely drilled on that fumble yesterday, I don't know what more you want him to do getting the ball in that kind of traffic. He is still a top 10 receiver and will prove this when all is said and done. I'd be a bit more worried with our defense than I would with our WR's at this point, but maybe I'm just crazy.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
Q is just one of many FSU STUDS on this team.Q,Dockett,Rolle,McFadden and I'm proud to say I've watched every college game they've played.

Ask Kurt Warner if he wants to go to battle without Q? I think he already would have retired.I can't even name another reciever of his ILK.He's a wide reciever in a Giant Tightend/Fullback type body.

He could have taken any of a few of his receptions to the house yesterday.He's always just a move away from breaking something.Normally its the defensive guys bones.

We need his leadership on this team greatly.Words can't express what he means to this team in that manner.He came up one catch short of what AJ caught yesterday and AJ was the go to guy for the texans.

We're gonna see some FANTASTIC things from Q this season.I would'nt want my name in this thread being brought back from the dead.No way:D

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Q is just one of many FSU STUDS on this team.Q,Dockett,Rolle,McFadden and I'm proud to say I've watched every college game they've played.

Ask Kurt Warner if he wants to go to battle without Q? I think he already would have retired.I can't even name another reciever of his ILK.He's a wide reciever in a Giant Tightend/Fullback type body.

He could have taken any of a few of his receptions to the house yesterday.He's always just a move away from breaking something.Normally its the defensive guys bones.

We need his leadership on this team greatly.Words can't express what he means to this team in that manner.He came up one catch short of what AJ caught yesterday and AJ was the go to guy for the texans.

We're gonna see some FANTASTIC things from Q this season.I would'nt want my name in this thread being brought back from the dead.No way:D

I know for a fact Rolle didnt play at FSU Doug. He went to Miami. Just FYI

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

This thread is quite humorous! All Boldin did is what he always does, makes catches, gains yards and knocks into people. He had a TD on the ropes but didn't secure the ball well enough, it happens. His style, it happens more often. He's elite. He hasn't lost a step. For the record though, when he does lose it, I think he's going to go fast. He takes a pounding.

AJ's touchdown reminded me of something Anquan would do. He's just sick as hell. Watch it again, too, and you'll see him practice better ball security than Q did...but that was an Anquan G-A-M move there.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
I'm SORRY Samari Rolle is the one that played at FSU and he is also a defensive back and his number is 22 instead of 21 that Antrelle wears.Somari plays for the defensive minded Ravens for a long time.How could I get that wrong?

My apologies Shane. I had the wrong ROLLE.There is another one coming also.He went to England as a Rhodes Scholar from FSU and will be coming back to football once he finishes.Or that is what he said.He was very talented and highly ranked when he left for Oxford.

I was born in Miami.:DStill don't count.We play some mean arse football in this state.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wear a Fitz jersey, but I have the utmost respect for Q. He always was and still is a grown ass man.

You want to hate on him, don't do it around me

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I agree but for a different reason. I don't think Q is showing the fire anymore. It seems like Fitz has taken over his role and he's kind of mopey about it. Usually, you'd see an outburst of excitement from him after a catch, I didn't see it this game.

I don't want to jinx us, but I think if Fitz ever went down and Q had to be the man again, he'd show everyone what he has. He just seems like more of a really incredibly skilled employee of the Cardinals than a leader.

Years past, his catches inspired the team. Haven't seen that this year.

I hope he brings it out this Sunday. We're going to need him.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need a new Beaston now. The Colts are alwasy able to have quality wr's in the wings waiting for the old ones to go. Who is our nest Breaston when Breaston is #2?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree but for a different reason. I don't think Q is showing the fire anymore. It seems like Fitz has taken over his role and he's kind of mopey about it. Usually, you'd see an outburst of excitement from him after a catch, I didn't see it this game.
I'd disagree. Reports are that Boldin has been pretty vocal in the locker room. I think he's still the heart and soul of the team.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need a new Beaston now. The Colts are alwasy able to have quality wr's in the wings waiting for the old ones to go. Who is our nest Breaston when Breaston is #2?
Doucet needs to get (and stay) healthy.

NHEIB84

Rookie
Reaction score
Considering what Boldin has done for the Cardinals it amazes me how much crap he takes when all he does is play his ass off.