Rod Hood Might Have Hit a $2M Salary Incentive

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Rod Hood DID NOT Hit a $2M Salary Incentive

Hood not surprised by departure
Kent Somers

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/KentSomers/52110

Rod Hood knows better than most that football is a business. He's had to battle for a job his whole career. He walked on at Auburn and made it in the NFL as an undrafted free agent. So he understood when he found out Tuesday the Cardinals were releasing him.

Hood told me this morning that he had earned a play-time incentive that would have boosted his salary by $2 million. That means he would have made $5 million in salary and his cap number would have been $5.5 million in 2009. That's too much to pay for a backup cornerback.

"When they brought me here, I think they thought I would be a nickel corner," Hood said. "When I hit that incentive, it was tough to keep me. I enjoyed my run in Arizona. I had a great run."

The cap savings from cutting Hood are greater than I realized yesterday, when I thought his base salary was $3 million. The extra $2 million in savings means the club saves about $7.5 million by cutting Hood, Edgerrin James and Travis LaBoy.

Before the moves, the team was about $1.2 million under the cap, so it should be about $8.7 million under now. (Unless there are more bonuses, escalators and the like that I don't know about it.)

Hood already has interest from other teams, he said. He wants to be careful about picking the right team and the right situation.

UPDATE: It appears Hood might be mistaken. A source said Hood did not meet the play-time requirement that would have increased his 2009 salary by $2 million. Hood needed to play 70 percent of the defensive snaps. So Hood's salary would have been $3 million, meaning the Cards saved $5.5 million in cap space, not $7.5 million. I'll probably have more on this tomorrow as I try to learn what caused the difference of opinion. Sorry for any confusion that resulted.

Last edited:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right in that same article you poste arthur it says this :

UPDATE: It appears Hood might be mistaken. A source said Hood did not meet the play-time requirement that would have increased his 2009 salary by $2 million. Hood needed to play 70 percent of the defensive snaps. So Hood's salary would have been $3 million, meaning the Cards saved $5.5 million in cap space, not $7.5 million. I'll probably have more on this tomorrow as I try to learn what caused the difference of opinion. Sorry for any confusion that resulted.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahhh.. You sneaking lil rodent.. You changed your post when I posted mine..

:raccoon:

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Not so fast, he indeed did not reach his incentive -

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/KentSomers/52182

So we understood why he was cut because of the early news and kind of excepted it, now we can go can back to wondering why he was cut and bashing the FO for it.:D

Roller coaster of fun.

This would have been too easy and made too much sense LOL But isn't there some clause with "likely to achieve" bonuses adding value to the next year's cap? I believe Philly and Minny do this often with their contracts. Could that have positive cap ramifications?

It almost seems like they are so ticked at LaBoy that they were willing to cut a solid player to cover the accelerated bonus cutting LaBoy cost.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rod Graves to Hood: Oh what the hell, you're close enough to meeting your incentives, we'll just give the bonus to you like we did for Kurt a couple seasons back.

Hood: Wow! Really, that's awesome!

Graves: Psych! No, you're waived. I just said that to see the look on Warner's face.

JTS

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rod Graves to Hood: Oh what the hell, you're close enough to meeting your incentives, we'll just give the bonus to you like we did for Kurt a couple seasons back.

Graves: Psych! No, you're waived. I just said that to see the look on Warner's face.

JTS

:notworthy

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score

JTS

Jeff, you're funny. Now please remind everyone the Cards were prohibitted from paying the bonus to Warner. We don't need that fire trying to smolder again. Besides, I think the Cards paid him his bonus this year, no? The 2 mil difference with Hood is just enough to make me still wonder why he got cut. Do we know everything?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave