Natyazhko to commit to Arizona

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/DougHaller/50653

Prized center Kyryl Natyazhko informed ASU today that he intends to commit to the University of Arizona, a source told The Republic.

The 6-foot-10 senior from IMG Academy in Florida is widely viewed as the best center available in the 2009 class. He averaged 24 points and nine rebounds this season.

Vince Walden, Natyazhko's coach, said in a text message that Natyazhko will announce his decision after tonight's All-Star game in Louisville, Ky. He didn't confirm or deny Natyazhko had decided on Arizona.

This is a crushing below for the Sun Devils, who seek a post player to help replace All-Pac-10 forward Jeff Pendergraph. Natyazhko had listed ASU as a frontrunner, along with Xavier, after visiting Tempe a couple weeks ago. Pittsburgh was also in the mix.

But once Xavier coach Sean Miller accepted an offer to coach Arizona, Natyazhko placed Arizona in his top three without even taking an official visit to Tucson.

All commitments are non-binding. Natyazhko cannot officially sign with the Wildcats, or any school, until the regular period begins Wednesday.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
:thumbup:

If Miller was lacking any credibility with any Wildcat fan up to this point he just endeared himself to everyone with this move.

Top Center for next year AND crippling ASU???

Priceless!

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Way to go Sean!!! This is a huge get.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thumbup:

If Miller was lacking any credibility with any Wildcat fan up to this point he just endeared himself to everyone with this move.

Top Center for next year AND crippling ASU???

Priceless!

I don't know a thing about the kid but note, it means top AVAILABLE center, not top center in the class. Scout has him ranked the 10th best C in the class one slot ahead of Anthony Stover, and 4 slots ahead of Greg Smith the former UA verbal who's now headed to Fresno State.

So it sounds like UA got a good player but I know nothing about him beyond his rating.

Definitely sounds like a good get for Miller UA obviously needs players.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The commitment was all about Natyazhko's wanting to play for Sean Miller. If he would have stayed at Xavier, Kyryl probably would have committed to Xavier but by him adding Arizona after Miller was announced as HC seemed to be more than coincidence.

Up next should be Jarrid Famous and if Geary stays, Hill will come on board.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Tradition sealed the deal on this one, IMO.

I hardly think a kid who was strongly considering going to Ohio cared too much about going to a traditional power.

This signing was all about Sean Miller. Once he switched to a UA and ASU didn't have any advantages like it did over XU (weather, bigger conference) the kid could simply pick based on his favorite coach.

Last edited:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hardly think a kid who was strongly considering going to Ohio cared too much about going to a traditional power.

This signing was all about Sean Miller. Once he switched to a UA and ASU didn't have any advantages like it did over XU (weather, bigger conference) the kid could simply pick based on his favorite coach.

Tradition did play a part. Miller has said he will tell recruits about the 25 years in a row of making the tournament, the NCAA title, all the players who have gone to the NBA, playing in front of 14,000+ people, not to a half empty arena, and the facilities + weather. He said he will tell recruits that he left Xavier because he has a legitimate shot at winning a national title.

Miller probably mentioned all that to the kid and you can see why he picked the UofA without visiting.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
The correct answer is playing time for a nationally recognized program.

Of course Miller was the key component. With Hill coming I am excited to see if they can get Famous and complete the class.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
When did he consider Ohio? I though his choices were Pitt, ASU, and Xavier before Miller got the UA gig?

Playing time, Miller, and the Arizona brand all played a part. This kid's coach was quoted as telling Kyryl about Arizona's tradition and great alumni all over the basketball world. It's funny you guys keep insisting money and tradition do not matter. Those two things are the biggest reason Arizona's coach is Sean Miller, Kyryl will be a Wildcat, and ASU will have one of the worst frontcourts in the Pac-10 next season.

Last edited:

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Don't get used to it, you'll be off our radar by 2011.

Considering how Miller has out-recruited most of the Pac-10 less than a week into the job I'm guessing his 2010 class will be a monster too.

eh, with UA basketballs arrogance, you all will probably throw us off the radar a bit too soon and we will be right back here having this discussion.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
eh, with UA basketballs arrogance, you all will probably throw us off the radar a bit too soon and we will be right back here having this discussion.

Probably not. I don't know how many more assistant coaches opportunities you have available for contacts/relatives of premium players.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Probably not. I don't know how many more assistant coaches opportunities you have available for contacts/relatives of premium players.

every fire starts somehow. New facilities coming, growing program. It's all good though. Your radar will ignore what it chooses to.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Our radar doesnt ignore anything, it just doesnt pick up programs below a certain level.

;)

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
every fire starts somehow. New facilities coming, growing program. It's all good though. Your radar will ignore what it chooses to.

Unfortunately for you that fire never got that big and will be extinguished when ASU goes to the NIT at best for the next couple years and Wells Fargo goes back to being a morgue. At that point you won't be a "growing program" more like a flash in the pan due to a couple players.

And that really is the difference between an average coach like Herb Sendek and the great ones - his failure to capitalize on good fortune. Didn't do it at NC State with Julius Hodge during the Guthridge/Doherty Era, didn't do it to Wake when they started struggling under Odom before Skip Prosser, didn't do it at ASU with Harden during the endless Lute transition era.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
When did he consider Ohio? I though his choices were Pitt, ASU, and Xavier before Miller got the UA gig?

Ohio was his #4 school after the ones you mentioned according to a lot of different reports. Even his Facebook page (again, creepy, I know) had an application on it that he set up called "Fans of Ohio Bobcats" or some such thing and he was friends w/ a lot of Ohio people.

Also Im not saying UA being a power for a long time played NO part, I just think it wasn't something high on his list judging from the schools he did consider. I think Sean Miller was the over whelming factor in his decision.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
FYI - It's technically considered a recruiting violation to try and convince a kid to come to your school via facebook or whatever if you're a booster. And if you biught only one ticket to an ASU game last year then you're considered a booster.