Brussels Sprouts!

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Its gettig to be winter again1 Perfect time for brussels sprouts. One of the most widely underrated of all veggies.

Im thinking that for the restaurant, we are going to do a roasted baby brussels sprouts dish, with a Sweet and vinegary guajillo chile puree. Of course the whole mess will be roasted in our house made chorizo fat.

That sounds delicious.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) I love them, but my wife says they are too "cabbagey." I loves cabbage.

2) Would you blanch them first to get them soft. Sometimes they are too "al dente.

3) Had some brussel sprouts in a mustard cream sauce last night that were good, but needed to be a bit softer.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I just cooked my self a bag of frozen ones over the weekend. Awesome, ate the entire bag. (well, not the actual bag itself) Your version sounds even better.

OP
OP
schutd

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1) I love them, but my wife says they are too "cabbagey." I loves cabbage.

2) Would you blanch them first to get them soft. Sometimes they are too "al dente.

3) Had some brussel sprouts in a mustard cream sauce last night that were good, but needed to be a bit softer.

Blanche them first in HEAVILY salted water. Water should taste like the ocean. Really. Then shock them in an ice bath so they stay nice and green and sry them thoroughly before roasting them in your bacon fat. I like to halve mine so I have a flat side to get a nice carmelization to.

Ive never worked with the baby ones before. I imagine Ill cook those whole.

Shane, you should try them like I said above, but roast them with bacon (which we all of course love,) and then hit the pan with a touch of sherry vinegar. I doubt anyone could hate brussels after eating them like that.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane, you should try them like I said above, but roast them with bacon (which we all of course love,) and then hit the pan with a touch of sherry vinegar. I doubt anyone could hate brussels after eating them like that.

That actually sounds like it could be really good. But also sounds terribly unhealthy and like a lot of work for a non-cook :)

AZZenny

Reaction score
Love em. Trim, cut across the base 1/4 inch deep, put them in a heavy pan with butter and maybe 1/4 inch water, cover and butter-steam them on med-low heat until just tender (you may have to add a little water); let them almost cook dry but never scorch, then toss them in freshly grated parmesan.

Put leftovers in a balsamic vinaigrette overnight for a great quick-pickled brussels sprouts.

Also good butter-steamed and then sauted quickly with either peeled roasted chestnuts, or peeled shallots, or both.

Anyone like fresh lima beans? ;-)

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brussels sprouts was EASILY my favorite food as a kid. Still love 'em...I may have to try your recipe, Schutd. Haven't steered me wrong yet. Of course, without the chili puree & chorizo fat (I will do the bacon fat, though).

dcr is really good at having at least just one of whatever vegetable is served, even if he doesn't like it (gotta set that example). I wonder if this will be his breaking point :)

OP
OP
schutd

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Shane, steamed brussels sprouts would certainly be better for you, but I doubt even Id eat them that way. I get my bushel in from my veg purveyor today. Ill let you know how they come out!

Also, pork spare rib pozole hits the menu today as well.

OP
OP
schutd

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Zenny, Ive been super into pickled things lately. I might have to make a run at some pickled brussels. Thanks for the idea.

We've been topping our tampequena (seared skirt steak) with pickled habanero chilies. I nearly put a guy on his arse last night...

AZZenny

Reaction score
I'm transplanting in a couple brussels sprouts plants today. I've never had much success growing them here, but time to try again.

Schutd -- I, too caramelize them very slightly when I butter-steam them. I had BLTs last night -- think I'll try the bacon fat and sherry vinegar approach on some baby brussels tonight. (I always select the smallest, tightest sprouts). Or I may play around with the chile idea.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dcr is really good at having at least just one of whatever vegetable is served, even if he doesn't like it (gotta set that example). I wonder if this will be his breaking point :)

LOL. Sounds like it may be. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
schutd

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I changed the recipe a bit. I stemmed and seeded dried guajillo chilies, covered them in boiling water and let them soften. I then pureed them into a nice guajillo paste. Dont worry, Linder, guajillos are essentially heat free, they have a nice bittery and raisiny quality to them. I made a syrup from 1 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup white wine vinegar. Then stirred in 3 cups of guajillo puree, and salt to taste. Basically came up with a mexican, heat free version of Koreas famous chili sauce "gochu jang". Blanched the sprouts in salted water, then roasted them in the pan, Added a 1T of the guajillo vinegar puree for 6 oz brussels sprouts and they glazed up nicely. Then I tossed in about a tablespoon of chorizo to finish it off.

We sold out. It was yummy.

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
I crossed the bacon fat with parmesan approach and oh, wow, those were nice little brussels sprouts! The few leftover I drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette for a little salad the next day.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think of regular cabbage with bacon on it. Maybe a little bit more crunch to it.

Would be better than smoked corn soup.

:)

I don't eat cabbage either.