Here's my offseason wish list

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Just going to take a stab at it. I'll use Joes numbers on his spreadsheet since i'm sure its damn close to reality.

Restructures:
Fitzgerald - #1 priority this offseason. 24 million signing bonus, salaries of 4 mil, 4 mil, 6 mil, 6 mil, 8 mil, 8 mil. Cap savings 9.3 mil.

Gandy - Played well enough to earn a new contract and his 6.8 mil cap hit has to go. 6 mil signing bonus, salaries of 2 mil, 2 mil, 2 mil. Cap savings 2.8 mil.

Would try to get Okeafor, Smith and maybe a few others to take cuts, but won't figure them in here.

Cuts:
Holt - Don't think I need to add anything here. Cap savings 3.5 mil.

Ross - Ditto. Cap savings 2.1 mil.

Shipp - Love the guy, but I could have done as much as him last year. Cap Savings 1.75 mil.

Berry - After consideration, he needs to be cut. Cap Savings 3 mil.

Money under cap after restructures and cuts: 37.45 mil

Resignings:
Dansby - Well if we are willing to franchise him (8 mil) then we shouldn't be shy about our contract offer. 15 mil signing bonus, salaries of 3 mil, 4 mil, 5 mil, 6 mil, 6 mil. Cap hit 6 mil

Pace - Played well this year, but was it a result of contract year or teams not worrying about a guy that hasn't shown anything his first 3 years in the league. This is the type of guy I would like to give roster bonus too, but think he want too much to do that. Signing bonus 4 mil, roster bonus in 2010 of 4 mil, salaries of 2 mil x 4. Cap hit 3 mil and if he doesn't play well the next two years, cut him and never absorb his roster bonus.

Vincent - Good depth on the OL guy. 1.5 mil signing bonus, 1.5 mil x 3. Cap hit 2 mil.

Bailey, Tafoya, Hodel - Vet minimums 645k each. Cap hit 1.95.

RFA Tenders:
Green - 2nd round tender. Cap hit 1.3 nil

Smith - 2nd round tender. Cap hit 1.3 mil

Brown and Blackstock - Lowest tender (round he was drafted). Cap hit 1.7mil

FA Signings:
Faneca - Should have 4 years left, moves Wells to depth which I love. 12 mil bonus, 3 mil x 4. Cap hit 6 mil

Wharton - An actual starting LT. 10 mil bonus, 2 mil x 5. Cap hit 4 mil.

Odom - Can really get after the passer. 6 mil bonus, 2 mil x 4. Cap hit 3.5 mil

Money under cap after FA signings: 6.7 mil

Draft:

1. Harvey, OLB/DE, Florida - May not be there in the first, but is considered to be one of the best pure pass rushers in the draft. (Alt. Merling, DE or Campbell, DE)

2. Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas - Tons of speed to take it all the way on any play. Can work on ball security and getting bigger while playing behind James the next 2 years. 10 to 15 touches a game for now

3. Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa - Very athletic, a little raw cause he played safety early, but has great size and speed. Nickle back this year.

4. Tony Hills, OT, Texas - A LT of the future. Was recruited as a TE, but a knee injury cut some speed and was moved to LT. Injury concerns will move him down a bit (i'm hoping all the way to the 4th).

5. Durant Brooks, P, GTech - Mentored by Ray Guy.

6. Dexter Jackson, WR, App St - Small but fast as hell.

7. Ummm, they could draft anyone in the world here at this point. BPA that fell from the 3rd or 4th round projection, there is always a guy like that.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just going to take a stab at it. I'll use Joes numbers on his spreadsheet since i'm sure its damn close to reality.

Restructures:
Fitzgerald - #1 priority this offseason. 24 million signing bonus, salaries of 3 mil, 3 mil, 4 mil, 4 mil, 5 mil, 5 mil. Cap savings 10.3 mil.

Gandy - Played well enough to earn a new contract and his 6.8 mil cap hit has to go. 6 mil signing bonus, salaries of 1 mil, 1 mil, 1 mil. Cap savings 3.8 mil.

Would try to get Berry, Okeafor, Smith and maybe a few others to take cuts, but won't figure them in here.

Cuts:
Holt - Don't think I need to add anything here. Cap savings 3.5 mil.

Ross - Ditto. Cap savings 2.1 mil.

Shipp - Love the guy, but I could have done as much as him last year. Cap Savings 1.75 mil.

Money under cap after restructures and cuts: 36.45 mil

Resignings:
Dansby - Well if we are willing to franchise him (8 mil) then we shouldn't be shy about our contract offer. 15 mil signing bonus, salaries of 3 mil, 3 mil, 3 mil, 3 mil, 3 mil. Cap hit 6 mil

Pace - Played well this year, but was it a result of contract year or teams not worrying about a guy that hasn't shown anything his first 3 years in the league. This is the type of guy I would like to give roster bonus too, but think he want too much to do that. Signing bonus 4 mil, roster bonus in 2010 of 4 mil, salaries of 2 mil x 4. Cap hit 3 mil and if he doesn't play well the next two years, cut him and never absorb his roster bonus.

Vincent - Good depth on the OL guy. 1.5 mil signing bonus, 1.5 mil x 3. Cap hit 2 mil.

Bailey, Tafoya, Celestine, Hodel - Vet minimums 435k each. Cap hit 1.75.

RFA Tenders:
Green - 2nd round tender. Cap hit 1.3 nil

Smith - 2nd round tender. Cap hit 1.3 mil

Brown and Blackstock - Lowest tender (round he was drafted). Cap hit 1.7mil

FA Signings:
Faneca - Should have 4 years left, moves Wells to depth which I love. 12 mil bonus, 3 mil x 4. Cap hit 6 mil

Wharton - An actual starting LT. 10 mil bonus, 2 mil x 5. Cap hit 4 mil.

Money under cap after FA signings: 9.4 mil

Draft:

1. Harvey, OLB/DE, Florida - May not be there in the first, but is considered to be one of the best pure pass rushers in the draft. (Alt. Merling, DE or Campbell, DE)

2. Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas - Tons of speed to take it all the way on any play. Can work on ball security and getting bigger while playing behind James the next 2 years. 10 to 15 touches a game for now

3. Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa - Very athletic, a little raw cause he played safety early, but has great size and speed. Nickle back this year.

4. Tony Hills, OT, Texas - A LT of the future. Was recruited as a TE, but a knee injury cut some speed and was moved to LT. Injury concerns will move him down a bit (i'm hoping all the way to the 4th).

5. Durant Brooks, P, GTech - Mentored by Ray Guy.

6. Dexter Jackson, WR, App St - Small but fast as hell.

7. Ummm, they could draft anyone in the world here at this point. BPA that fell from the 3rd or 4th round projection, there is always a guy like that.

Hodel can't take a pay cut.

I love your plan.
I think Dansby will want more per year.
I pray but doubt Charles will be there in the 2nd round UNLESS we make a move to trade up. I think Charles would be the perfect fit going into this year with the capability of eventually taking over, especially after a year with John Lott.

OP
OP
HookemCards

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
OP
OP
HookemCards

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Hodel can't take a pay cut.

I love your plan.
I think Dansby will want more per year.
I pray but doubt Charles will be there in the 2nd round UNLESS we make a move to trade up. I think Charles would be the perfect fit going into this year with the capability of eventually taking over, especially after a year with John Lott.

Dansby may want more than 3 mil per year. But the important thing is the first couple years of the contract. I think he'll be happy with roughly 21 mil the next two years though, then you can escalate the salaries for the remaining years to 5 mil.

OP
OP
HookemCards

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Fitz will need a much bigger deal then just 6 years 48 Mill. Bonus is close but total deal is probably far off by about 20 Mill.

Gandy would be taking a huge pay cut as a starting OT. Only 3 years for 9 Million total is probably way off as well by about 5 Mill total.

OP
OP
HookemCards

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Fitz will need a much bigger deal then just 6 years 48 Mill. Bonus is close but total deal is probably far off by about 20 Mill.

Gandy would be taking a huge pay cut as a starting OT. Only 3 years for 9 Million total is probably way off as well by about 5 Mill total.

I figured Fitz's numbers would be a little bit low. But the last few years won't matter if he is going to count 12 mil against the cap again we'll be looking to restructure again in year 5 or 6.

Gandy doesn't have much leverage though. Right now he is looking at 7 mil this year, but nothing next year. I'm hoping next year he is depth, but if you would feel better with 2 mil a year I can live with that.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually those where the 2006 salaries for Bailey and Tafoya. Joe's spreadsheet for 2007 showed them all at 595k. Anyway I gave them all a 10 percent raise in my recent changes to 655k

Hmmm, according to Fox, those are the 2007 salaries.

Anyway, we are quibbling about a few bucks. My only concern was Hodel. As important as he is to this team, I can't believe he isn't making more money.

I agree about Fitz being the #1 priority. If we can get him straightened out and put the tag on Dansby, I think the rest will fall into place. This certainly ain't your fathers' Cardinals anymore. Glad to see them come out of the stone age.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
I still think it will be difficult to redo Fitz and he ends up playing this year on his inflated salary. Then next year when his salary really gets huge, the cards finally redo his deal.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I still think it will be difficult to redo Fitz and he ends up playing this year on his inflated salary. Then next year when his salary really gets huge, the cards finally redo his deal.

If that's how it plays out I think that would really send a bad message to the fans and the team by Fitz. It would be the beginning of the end of his time here in Phoenix. JMHO

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If that's how it plays out I think that would really send a bad message to the fans and the team by Fitz. It would be the beginning of the end of his time here in Phoenix. JMHO

I don't think it will come to that. Fitzgerald is really involved with the franchise and represents it at several functions. He does not strike me as one of the guys we used to see in Arizona who couldn't wait to be somewhere else. I believe he really likes being a Cardinal and will eventually do what it takes to help the team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose