07: Seconds or Less - Book excerpts (Marion)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
plus becoming a Doctor is pretty much something anybody on this board can do if they put enough time and effort into it.

That's just blatantly untrue. You can't become a doctor without getting into medical school, and med school admissions are extremely competitive. Each year there are thousands of very bright students who have worked extremely hard most of their lives and still get turned away.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doctors get paid accordingly as well, plus becoming a Doctor is pretty much something anybody on this board can do if they put enough time and effort into it.

wow, is this a total joke. Time and effort doesn't = the intelligence level to actually put someone else's lif einto your hands. Do you have ANY idea how unbelievably difficult it is to become a doctor? How many grueling years of schooling, interning, residency and maybe even fellowships to get to the point where you can be a full fledged physician?

OP
OP
DevonCardsFan

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
plus becoming a Doctor is pretty much something anybody on this board can do if they put enough time and effort into it.

That's just blatantly untrue. You can't become a doctor without getting into medical school, and med school admissions are extremely competitive. Each year there are thousands of very bright students who have worked extremely hard most of their lives and still get turned away.

Ok well atleast some kind of Doctor, maybe a Vet, or a missionary helping out in Poor countries, I'm not saying Brain Surgeons.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score

i think it is pretty easy to become a doctor with some effort. check out the bottom tier med-schools, especially abroad. if the goal is an 'M.D.' after your name, its something that sweat equity can accomplish.

now if your goal is an ivy-league degree, that's another thing entirely...

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
i think it is pretty easy to become a doctor with some effort. check out the bottom tier med-schools, especially abroad. if the goal is an 'M.D.' after your name, its something that sweat equity can accomplish.

Why don't you get into one and get back to me. You don't have to earn the degree; an acceptance will be enough.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

now if your goal is an ivy-league degree, that's another thing entirely...

wow - there's a lot of people who really have no clue what they're talking about as far as becoming a doctor - there's a lot more to it than just getting into a "bottom tier" med school, like the ridiculous amount of schooling that comes after getting in, passing your state medical boards, going through youyr internship and residency all without quitting or being fired or being booted out of school.

sorry folks, but effort alone won't get an M.D. after your name - it takes a certain level of intelligence, just like it takes a certain level of athleticism to play at higher levels.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
wow - there's a lot of people who really have no clue what they're talking about as far as becoming a doctor - there's a lot more to it than just getting into a "bottom tier" med school, like the ridiculous amount of schooling that comes after getting in, passing your state medical boards, going through youyr internship and residency all without quitting or being fired or being booted out of school.

sorry folks, but effort alone won't get an M.D. after your name - it takes a certain level of intelligence, just like it takes a certain level of athleticism to play at higher levels.

number of physicians in US: 800,000

number of NBA ballers in world: 400

there's no way for me to quantify the effort required once you get in to a med school. i'd like to simply say 'it's not too hard to pass', but that doesn't qualify as convincing evidence. so i'd just say go talk to someone who's been through the process. and don't confuse working hard with working smart.

why do i know this? probably because of a half-dozen relatives that are doctors as well as hanging out with a bunch of them as friends nowadays. huge sample size? no. maybe 15 folks total. the ones from my school had to fight it out to get where they are, but in many cases that isn't what happens. i mean, there are med schools where acceptance rates are pushing 80%!

sorry, but i'm not worshipping a guy because he had the drive to stick it out for 10 years in a medical program...

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
That is flat ignorant. I'd like to see you name one US MD-degree granting school with an 80% acceptance rate. Hell go find one with a 35% acceptance rate.

There are several MD schools which have around a 25% acceptance rate because they only accept in-state applicants and are a state which produce a very small number of applicants. Not even the DO schools have acceptances like that.

Last edited:

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
That is flat ignorant. I'd like to see you name one US MD-degree granting school with an 80% acceptance rate. Hell go find one with a 35% acceptance rate.

There are several MD schools which have around a 25% acceptance rate because they only accept in-state applicants and are a state which produce a very small number of applicants. Not even the DO schools have acceptances like that.

Some of the crappy schools have acceptance rates approaching that:

http://biology.oru.edu/servlet/page?_pageid=1742&_dad=portal30&_schema=PORTAL30&dept=HPO

In any case, that wasn't his point. His point was that it is much more difficult to become a professional basketball player than a doctor. In general, you have to be born with a lot of God-given talent to be baller, but you can get through medical school with hard work (and some innate intellect).

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
See this is the problem. Lots of people can barely do research on becoming a doctor let alone actually become one. If you had read carefully, the link you posted was Oral Roberts University, which does not have a medical school, saying that the acceptance rate of THEIR applicants TO medical school was around 70%. That is, students from Oral Roberts to the various MD and DO medical schools. It was not an acceptance rate for a medical school.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
See this is the problem. Lots of people can barely do research on becoming a doctor let alone actually become one.

Nailed it. Most people don't process information anywhere near accurately enough even to sniff medical school.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
See this is the problem. Lots of people can barely do research on becoming a doctor let alone actually become one. If you had read carefully, the link you posted was Oral Roberts University, which does not have a medical school, saying that the acceptance rate of THEIR applicants TO medical school was around 70%. That is, students from Oral Roberts to the various MD and DO medical schools. It was not an acceptance rate for a medical school.

That's my bad. I did a search in google and clicked on the first thing that came up. I just checked again and there are medical schools that claim very high acceptance rates (50% - 75%), although the statistics only take into account students with high GPA's. Although if your GPA is below 3.5, you may want to think twice about becoming a doctor.

The fact of the matter still remains though, being a ball player takes a lot more innate talent than being a doctor.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
Nailed it. Most people don't process information anywhere near accurately enough even to sniff medical school.

Wow this is enlightening. So what you are saying is that most people can't become doctors? No Sh*t.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wow this is enlightening. So what you are saying is that most people can't become doctors? No Sh*t.

The argument wasn't whether it was more difficult to become an NBA player or a doctor. The original statement was that anybody on this board could become a doctor if they worked hard at it.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The argument wasn't whether it was more difficult to become an NBA player or a doctor. The original statement was that anybody on this board could become a doctor if they worked hard at it.

Thank you.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

and that statement was followed up by "i think it is pretty easy to become a doctor with some effort." I've just never understood people talking about subjects of which they have absolutely zero understanding about.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Back to the book....

Who was the guy (not a Sun) that wrote on the blackboard:

"No Your Roll" and his teammeat told him 'sit down, *******"

:biglaugh:

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
This is hands down one of the best sports books I've read. I bought it two days ago and couldn't put it down. I just finished it and if you haven't read it you have to. It is a must read for any suns or basketball fan.

Nash

Reaction score
I bought this book last week and have painstakingly managed to split my reading so that I didn't exhaust all the fun in reading the book, in a day's span. I don't allow myself more than 2 chapters a day, so I've stretched the book out for 5 days now.
I've heard the term 'un-putdownable' and for the first time, I thought that about a book.

Sounds like this team is full of nutty goofballs -- just the kind of person I am and just the kind of company I love.
Here's an excerpt:
After 3rd game in the Clippers playoff series, which we won (in McCallum's words)...
For the next fifteen minutes, the sounds of a jungle bird emanate from the shower room.
"What exactly is that?" I ask Nash.
"It's called immaturity," he says.
barbosa started it, and I wonder if it;s some kind of bird native to Brazil.
"No, its just a sound I make," he says, "and see? Everybody want to follow me."

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Back to the book....

Who was the guy (not a Sun) that wrote on the blackboard:

"No Your Roll" and his teammeat told him 'sit down, *******"

:biglaugh:

Just read through that part of the book. Alvin Gentry is hilarious, he's a great guy to have on the staff. Here's the quote-

Stories get into Gnetry's head and never leave. He tells another one form Miami, about a player named Ladell Eckles who stood up during a team meeting and wrote on the board:"No Your roll." Glen Rice said, "Sit down, ********."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose