Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > NAU and All Non-Arizona College Sports

Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:25 PM   #1
Renz
An Army of One

U of A switch helmets

Wildcats get new "tougher" helmets

Corky Simpson
Tucson Citizen
Aug. 2, 2004 05:47 PM

TUCSON -- They've been white for 24 years. Before that, they were red. And once upon a time they were silver.

They've been leather, they've been space-age plastic, and they've even been polka-dotted with battle-star decals awarded to individuals for outstanding plays.

For the upcoming season Arizona football helmets will go navy.

Under new coach Mike Stoops, the blue headgear will show the "academic A" logo in red, white and blue on both sides. There will be no striping down the middle.

Stoops hopes the helmet will give the Wildcats "a tougher look," although UA tailback Mike Bell said he still preferred the white one.

UA helmets were leather and painted silver in the 1930s during the years of the "Blue Brigade," when the color sky-blue replaced traditional navy in jerseys and pants.

And there has been an assortment of doo-dads stuck on Wildcat helmets over the years. TV numbers, in the gridiron fashion of the day, adorned the sides of the helmets in the 1960s.

In the early 1970s there was a curving "snake-A" inside a football-shaped oval on the sides of the Wildcats' cardinal helmets. A short time later, under coach Jim Young, the helmets turned white with a blue "snake-A" on the sides and the Wildcats image on the front.

The late Tony Mason favored red, so when he became head coach in 1977, helmets went back to cardinal and bore Tony's invention, the "movin' A" (it was an italic A), on the sides.

Larry Smith replaced Mason in 1980, and a year later he changed the helmets back to white with a block-A on the sides. Smith reasoned that white would reflect heat, particulars important in preseason workouts.

Durng the Dick Tomey years (1987-99) the helmets remained white. But in 1990, the block-A was replaced by the "academic A," a logo that drew public fire when the school paid a Baltimore artist $29,000 to design it.

Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:40 PM   #2
Chaz
observationist

That looks nice. I don't know how it will look with white jerseys though.

Of course, if they are scoring touchdowns and playing defense it will look good no matter what color helmets they are wearing.
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:19 AM   #3
NickelBack
Banned

I kind of like them.
NickelBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #4
bratwurst
on double secret probation

This is a great site for helmets - kill some time. They have a bunch of UA helmets going back quite a ways.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/
Old August 4th, 2004, 04:06 PM   #5
abomb

Thanks for the link Brat! That killed 30 min here at work.

A-Bomb
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 12:03 PM   #6
CardLogic

Thumbs down

It may be a better look, but the players are going to hate it. Way hotter on the head than wearing white!

"...fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
CardLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #7
bratwurst
on double secret probation

UA plays almost every single home game at night, so it shouldn't be that bad.
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #8
jmcclain19

Send a message via AIM to jmcclain19 Send a message via Yahoo to jmcclain19
personally I love the "academic A" as Corky calls it.

I haven't seen what the new helmets will look like with the home blue's, so I'll reserve my judgement until then.

I've always wondered why fans are encouraged to wear Red, you can see the whole stadium fills up with Red T-shirts every home game, yet Red doesn't feature prominently in the football uniform at all.

Perhaps a "alternate" Red home jersey or something to that effect, with the blue helmets. I'd like that idea.
jmcclain19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 01:03 PM   #9
krepitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirChaz
Of course, if they are scoring touchdowns and playing defense it will look good no matter what color helmets they are wearing.
I wouldn't worry about that happening.
krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 04:15 PM   #10
MaoTosiFanClub
What Goes Around Comes Around

The blue helmets are okay, they certainly will go better with the white uniforms. The all white unis combined with the white helmets made our players look idiotic, except when they flipped over a UW defender for a TD.

More importantly than the helmets is the fact that Mike Stoops is absolutely owning the competition in recruiting. It might take a couple of years, but we're going to be very good sooner than even I originally thought.
MaoTosiFanClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 10:53 AM   #11
Gnomad
Roamin' Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratwurst
This is a great site for helmets - kill some time. They have a bunch of UA helmets going back quite a ways.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/
you just killed quite a bit of time for me here at a lazy day at work. most appreciated! (go boilers!)
"Never again shall Gnomekind suffer the indignity of being bombarded with bird feces. Never again should a Gnome be the victim of a careless pizza delivery driver, for there is no greater fear among the Gnomes than that of being crushed by an automobile."
Gnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #12
jmcclain19

Send a message via AIM to jmcclain19 Send a message via Yahoo to jmcclain19
I like the idea, as it brings a new attitude to campus. Tomey did the same thing switching from the old A to the new "academic" A.

At first I didn't like the Nikized new uni's with the odd numbers, but they've grown on me over the last few years. I imagine this new helmet will do the same. As long as Nike stays away from the Miami/Oregon mess they continually make worse with the UA jersey's, the Wildcats will be ok.
jmcclain19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #13
krepitch

The color switch was good, but I think making the "A" smaller was the best idea. The new helmets looked really good!

Best of luck to the U of A...aim for 10-1.
krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote