Enjoy an Ads-Free ASFN - lighter and faster too! Become an ASFN-Contributor and help support the site.
Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Phoenix Suns

Old April 12th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #151
sunsfan88
Registered

This team has overachieved. Nash has said that at least 5 times this season. Everyone knows it including Sarver.
Enjoy an Ads-Free ASFN - lighter and faster too! Become an ASFN-Contributor and help support the site.
sunsfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #152
DarenG
Can't Stop the Signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan88 View Post
This team has overachieved. Nash has said that at least 5 times this season. Everyone knows it including Sarver.
A team that will more than likely fail to reach the playoffs is overachieving!?!?!?!?!?

Oh...how fast the Suns have fallen.

DarenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #153
AzStevenCal
Registered

Quote:
Well, first off, since I'm already on record for stating this team has underachieved, I think we can re-write that "everyone knows it including Sarver" comment. Secondly, can you point me to the 5 + times that Nash has said they were overachieving?

I remember Nash saying this team isn't graced with great talent but I don't recall any "we've overachieved" comments and I certainly think someone would have posted a few of them if he had done it as often as you claim. I think this team is slightly above average albeit with a dismal future. Slightly above average ought to get us into the playoffs and if we're overachieving it ought to have us fighting for a first round home series rather than on the outside looking in.

Steve
AzStevenCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #154
Griffin
Registered

Seems like every time the Suns get really close to that playoff spot, they lose a game and fall right back where they started. They aren't getting much help from the other teams, just like last season. Five teams battling for the final three spots, and it still looks like the Suns will be one of the two teams out. A must-win game at Houston coming up.

As for next season, I really don't see this trend continuing. Either the Suns will be really good, or really bad. The middle ground will no longer be an option because I do believe Nash will leave if the Suns don't add at least one all-star level player.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #155
cheesebeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
Seems like every time the Suns get really close to that playoff spot, they lose a game and fall right back where they started. They aren't getting much help from the other teams, just like last season. Five teams battling for the final three spots, and it still looks like the Suns will be one of the two teams out. A must-win game at Houston coming up.

As for next season, I really don't see this trend continuing. Either the Suns will be really good, or really bad. The middle ground will no longer be an option because I do believe Nash will leave if the Suns don't add at least one all-star level player.
one all-star level player won't make them really good. a big three of Nash, Gortat and say... Eric Gordon (probably the only pretty good FA available) is a six seed... maybe a 5 at best. In other words... a complete playoff pretender.

Mulli is smarter than the Cheese!
cheesebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #156
ASUCHRIS
ONE HEART BEAT!!!

Send a message via AIM to ASUCHRIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebeef View Post
one all-star level player won't make them really good. a big three of Nash, Gortat and say... Eric Gordon (probably the only pretty good FA available) is a six seed... maybe a 5 at best. In other words... a complete playoff pretender.
Even better, we'll have to overpay for both Gordon and Nash, and lose all of our flexibility. Yay! Can't wait for it to happen.
ASUCHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #157
Griffin
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebeef View Post
It's possible, but then again, the Suns currently are two games out of the sixth seed with the roster they have and the horrible first half of the season they endured. I would think that adding an all-star scorer like Gordon, assuming he stays healthy, would mean more than a two game improvement in the win column.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #158
Absolute Zero

Golden State leading Dallas early. Too bad that won't last.

But it sure was nice watching the end of the Bulls/Heat game and the Bulls making the Heat their biotch.
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #159
Mainstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUCHRIS View Post
I've gone through the same equations regarding playoffs/no playoffs, and ultimately I've come to the same conclusion. It's just really hard to get excited for the team with the stench of Sarver and his failures permeating the team.

I hate feeling this level of apathy towards the team as the Suns are probably my favorite team, but everything about the team right now seems so half assed, amateurish and hopeless. Barring a minor miracle, we'll be striving for mediocrity at best for a long time. Not good times.
I think the above speaks for the feelings of most on this board.
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #160
Mainstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzStevenCal View Post
I agree with your first sentence but not the rest of your post. I think this team is better than last year's team and they have underachieved by quite a bit. They are now, finally, playing to their potential but it appears to be too late. I'm not too brokenhearted by that fact. Even playing to it's potential this team isn't capable of going very far in the postseason. Still, the second half of this season has been a lot more fun to watch than the first half so, playoff success or not, it would have been nice if they could have played to their level a little sooner.

Steve
Watching the improved play of the Suns the second half of the season doesn't mean much long term. The Suns are a sinking ship without a captain to right it.
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #161
sunsfan88
Registered

Quote:
Well, first off, since I'm already on record for stating this team has underachieved, I think we can re-write that "everyone knows it including Sarver" comment. Secondly, can you point me to the 5 + times that Nash has said they were overachieving?

I remember Nash saying this team isn't graced with great talent but I don't recall any "we've overachieved" comments and I certainly think someone would have posted a few of them if he had done it as often as you claim. I think this team is slightly above average albeit with a dismal future. Slightly above average ought to get us into the playoffs and if we're overachieving it ought to have us fighting for a first round home series rather than on the outside looking in.

Steve
"To be over .500 right now, we've overachieved," Nash said. "We are gaining confidence and we believe that we can keep winning. The spirit is good. Guys are sticking together and playing hard.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap/_/id/32...s-vs-utah-jazz

"We have 15 games left and we have to regroup and find a way to win games as soon as possible," Nash said. "We have overachieved thus far, but we are in a position to crawl back into the playoffs and prove everybody wrong."

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/nba/...&home=21&vis=3

“Obviously, I’d love to have Boris on the team,” Nash said of Diaw, whom San Antonio lured by offering more playing time and a better chance for the postseason than Phoenix. “I’m happy. We’ve got ourselves a chance to make the playoffs. We’ve overachieved thus far, frankly. We always want more. We always want to do better.”

http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-new...arting-lineup/

This is the 2nd time in the past week or so that I have proved you wrong (first that Brook Lopez injury thing) Perhaps its time for you to start doing the research before asking me to do it?

Last edited by sunsfan88; April 12th, 2012 at 07:43 PM.
sunsfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #162
Mainstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinslin View Post

Steve Nash is the sun, stars and the moon. Who cares if he is 39, there are surely enough stupid fans that will put money in Sarvers pocket again for bringing out the same mediocre product once more.
I think most of the fans see the writing on the wall but can do nothing to change it. Nash should have been moved when Amare left.
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #163
Mainstreet

Quote:
You're applying logic and reason to a man who may very well have none. I think the guy's ego is great enough that he'll be just fine when it comes to rationalizing away this team's failures. OTOH (and I'm sure this is a part of your point in the first place), no matter how he deludes himself, if this team continues to lose fans he'll have a hard time looking the other way when the reality of empty seats hits his bottom line.

Steve
The more I read this post the more I feel depressed about the Suns future.

However, if there are ownership groups that will buy the Dodgers for 2 billion dollars there must be other groups that would buy the Suns and give Sarver a profit.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/46875915/ns/sports-nba/
Old April 12th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #164
AzStevenCal
Registered

Quote:
"To be over .500 right now, we've overachieved," Nash said. "We are gaining confidence and we believe that we can keep winning. The spirit is good. Guys are sticking together and playing hard.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap/_/id/32...s-vs-utah-jazz

"We have 15 games left and we have to regroup and find a way to win games as soon as possible," Nash said. "We have overachieved thus far, but we are in a position to crawl back into the playoffs and prove everybody wrong."

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/nba/...&home=21&vis=3

“Obviously, I’d love to have Boris on the team,” Nash said of Diaw, whom San Antonio lured by offering more playing time and a better chance for the postseason than Phoenix. “I’m happy. We’ve got ourselves a chance to make the playoffs. We’ve overachieved thus far, frankly. We always want more. We always want to do better.”

http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-new...arting-lineup/

This is the 2nd time in the past week or so that I have proved you wrong (first that Brook Lopez injury thing) Perhaps its time for you to start doing the research before asking me to do it?
I think of myself more as management.

Steve
AzStevenCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #165
cheesebeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
It's possible, but then again, the Suns currently are two games out of the sixth seed with the roster they have and the horrible first half of the season they endured. I would think that adding an all-star scorer like Gordon, assuming he stays healthy, would mean more than a two game improvement in the win column.
the above assumes that a) the teams ahead of us do nothing (like the Mavs who have a bunch of cap space and are actually an attractive FA destination for a guy like Deron Williams) and b) that nash wouldn't continue to see his play slightly drop as his scoring has has every year the last three seasons and c) even if we have a modest win improvement, the top 5 seeds are all much younger and MUCH MORE talented.

but yay! We'd be in the running for sixth and maybe five! Believing that a core rallying around a Nash/Gortat/Gordon threesome is better than a likely Dirk/Deron/Whoever, Kobe/Pau/Bynum, Randolph/Gay/Conley/Gasol, Parker/Ginobli/Duncan or OKC's ridiculous plethora of talent is highly unrealistic.

Mulli is smarter than the Cheese!
cheesebeef is offline   Reply With Quote