Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Phoenix Suns

Old December 10th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Roca Dolla
BIRD CITY!

Thumbs up

Richardson reacts to surprising trade to Suns

Quote:
Posted Dec 10 2008 11:00PMNBA.com's Dave McMenamin tracked down Jason Richardson on the phone as he sat in a hotel room in New Orleans on Wednesday, hours after being informed of the five-player deal that is sending him and Jared Dudley from the Charlottle Bobcats to the Phoenix Suns for Raja Bell, Boris Diaw and Sean Singletary.

This is your first chance to comment on the trade. When did you find out about the deal and what was your initial reaction?
I found out the deal today. Rod [Higgins], the GM from the Bobcats gave me a call and woke me up from my pregame nap. He was telling me about the deal and at first it was shocking because I hadn't been hearing any trade rumors about Phoenix. I only heard one trade rumor and it was with the Clippers. Despite the shock, I thought it was a good move for both teams.
Now you go from a Bobcats team that has never made the playoffs and didn't really look like it was headed to the playoffs this year to a Suns team that boasts two former league MVPs in Shaquille O'Neal and Steve Nash, plus Amar'e Stoudemire. Entering into the veteran stage of your career, what can you say about the opportunity to team with players like that?
It's amazing. Every player loves playing with players like that. Been to Conference Finals, won The Finals, been MVPs, been All-Stars ... I'm just excited about having teammates like that at this point in my career. I feel like now I have a great chance teaming with players who are or are going to be Hall of Famers. I'm just excited to get out there with those guys, playing as hard as I can and going out there and doing what I'm capable of doing taking this team deep in the playoffs.
How satisfying is this deal, especially because you helped build what was going on in Golden State and you had to leave that winning culture to a rebuilding program? To know that you're entering a team that has a lot of recent success, how much does that energize you?
That's exactly right. I think my whole career I've been on rebuilding teams. It's been tough because I've only been to the playoffs once and even with that team, we didn't have a winning record. So if you give me the choice to play with guys who have been there before, who have won it, that's a rush. I've never had that in my career, guys of that caliber.
Terry Porter called you after the trade and said that if you can handle Tom Izzo, you can handle me. What did he mean by that?
I think that just means coach Porter demands a lot of his players to leave everything on the floor and that is kind of similar to Izzo. It was tough, it was a tough situation [in college]. I was just to doing certain things and I had to kind of scale back a little bit to fit his system, but I think one thing he did that helped me a lot was challenge me a lot to go out there and defend and put everything that I'm capable of doing out there that people weren't really paying much attention to.
That's a good point. You say defend, but you're known to NBA fans as a dunk champion and a 20-point per game scorer. Do you almost relish the opportunity to show off that part of your game? They are trading Raja Bell for you, one of the premier perimeter defenders in the league, so obviously there will be a need for defense.
I love challenges set by coaches for me like that. I'm going to do the best job I can do, helping guys out on the defensive end and doing the things that he wants me to do. It's just working hard and doing whatever he wants me to do to help the team win. They already got it started there so I'm just going to be there to get the team prepared for the playoffs.
You mentioned the talent. Talk specifically about the chance to play with Shaquille O'Neal and Amar'e Stoudemire in your front court.
Oh man. You got two BIG guys back there. There's not too many people that will drive and try to dunk on Shaq. As a perimeter player, that gives you a lot of confidence when you have a big guy back there who is going to hammer somebody real bad if they get past you. At the same time, Shaq is real vocal, so as a perimeter defender you always know where your help is coming from.
At 13-9, there's still a lot of season to go for the Suns, but now that you're a part of that team, are there expectations you're setting for yourself right away? Did the ceiling just get that much higher?
It did. You have a group that can win a lot of games right off the bat. You have guys that want to work. Amar'e, he wants to dominate games and, to me, he is, the way he's been playing. Steve Nash is one of the top point guards in the league and he loves having Shaq who is probably the best center ever to play the game. I'm excited by what can happen.
You played with Matt Barnes in Golden State, right?
Me and Matt had a great relationship in Golden State. Matter of fact, he just texted me to make sure everything was cool. He said, "Welcome to the team," and asked me if I need anything and stuff like that. I have a good relationship with Matt.
So what do you do tonight?
I'm actually in New Orleans, we did have a game tonight before the trade happened. So I'll go to Charlotte from New Orleans and be in Phoenix on Friday.
I guess you'll be tuning in to Lakers-Suns to see your new teammates then.
Yeah, you know I'll be watching that one.
http://www.nba.com/2008/news/feature...son/index.html
Roca Dolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #2
Andrew
flamboyantly righteous!

Interesting read, sounds like he wants to do everything in his power to help this team win, good mentality.
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #3
JustinD
Registered

Good attitude....can't wait to see if he makes a positive impact.
JustinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #4
Andrew
flamboyantly righteous!

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/qa_richardson_081210.html
Suns.com called guard Jason Richardson and forward Jared Dudley on Wednesday night, to get their reaction to the afternoon trade that will bring them to Phoenix.
The athletic duo was just sitting down to watch the Suns-Lakers game on ESPN from their hotel rooms in New Orleans, where their former Bobcats team is playing the Hornets. The Suns sent Raja Bell, Boris Diaw and Sean Singletary to Charlotte in the five-player trade, in which the Suns will also receive a second-round draft pick in 2010. The following is a transcript of the exlusive interview with "J-Rich," who is averaging 18.7 points and 4.1 boards a game this season.

Suns.com: Congratulations on the trade. How are you feeling about coming to Phoenix?
Richardson: Oh, I’m happy. I’m ready to get down to Phoenix right now and start working.
Suns.com: How did you find out about the trade?
Richardson: I was taking a pre-game nap in preparation for the game against the Bobcats and the general manager called me and asked me if I was ready to go to the West coast. I was a little confused at first because I was still half-asleep. He told me to get my running shoes on because I had just been traded to Phoenix. I got a big smile on my face because I knew what Phoenix had and adding me to that team could help out a lot.
Suns.com: Did you think you were still dreaming?
Richardson: I actually did. And then I held up the phone and thought, “Hold on. I just got traded?” I called my friends, family and fiancé to tell them. It was shocking, because I didn’t know I was going to be involved in any trades. I hadn’t heard any rumors so it was out of the blue. But it is one of those trades that you’re happy about.
Suns.com: I’m sure your teammates were disappointed.
Richardson: Yes, they were. I have a lot of great teammates here. We were all out in the (hotel) hallway and were talking. I let them know that I wasn’t going to the game tonight because I had been traded.
Suns.com: What are your thoughts on the Suns?
Richardson: There are high expectations in Phoenix. You can see what the roster has with Amar’e, Shaq, Steve. Those guys are future Hall of Famers. I’m very excited to play alongside guys like that for the first time in my career. I’ve never played on a team like this. I’ve always been on re-building teams. I’ve only been to the playoffs once. I’ve never really won anything, but I think I can bring a lot to this team and have a special season.
Suns.com: You played with Matt Barnes at Golden State. How do you feel about reuniting with him?
Richardson: Matt is a great guy. He called me today and said if I needed anything I should call him. I have a good relationship with him. It’ll be good to see a familiar face and to ask where to go, where to eat in Phoenix and all of those types of things.
Suns.com: What should fans know about you?
Richardson: I’m an exciting player. I do everything to win games. I have a lot of energy, I can dunk and shoot the threes. I give everything I can on the court. I’m not trying to take anyone’s spot. I just want to come in and do what is needed. I’ll fill the void where it is needed. Whatever it is – defense, scoring, rebounding, whatever it is. I just want to help the team to win and get deep in the playoffs.
Suns.com: What style of play is your game best suited for?
Richardson: Running, but I can play the halfcourt a little bit, too. Running fits my game perfectly, but I can also play the slow tempo, if needed.
Suns.com: Steve Kerr talked about your defense, as well as your scoring.
Richardson: People don’t give me enough credit for my defense. I can do a lot better job than what I’m doing now. I love challenges. Whatever the coaches and front office ask of me, that’s what I’m going to do.
Suns.com: What about Jared Dudley? Phoenix fans don't know a whole lot about him.
Richardson: Jared is one of those guys who is in the right spot at the right time on every play. He plays hard. He never takes the night off. He gives it his all. He plays defense. He can make shots. And he can definitely rebound.
Suns.com: Will you two be watching the Suns play the Lakers tonight?
Richardson: Oh yeah. I’ll definitely watch the Suns tonight to see where I can fit in and help the team. We’re the only two left in the hotel so we’re going to watch the game together (laughs). We went to dinner together earlier tonight and were talking about going to Phoenix. Suns.com: So what’s the game plan for the next couple days?
Richardson: I’m going to head back to Charlotte in the morning and pick up a few things, and then will get into Phoenix on Friday. I can't wait!
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #5
YouJustGotSUNSD
Custom User Title!

Send a message via AIM to YouJustGotSUNSD
" I can do a lot better job than what I’m doing now."

Yikes! Don't say that out loud!
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #6
D-Dogg
A Whole New World

Send a message via MSN to D-Dogg
I really like JR...a lot. Ever since he bounced that ball off of Boozer's head, I've loved his game.

Pisses me off juuuuuust a tad that you guys got him.
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #7
YouJustGotSUNSD
Custom User Title!

Confess! You've been crying all day! You are enraged with envy! Tell us you'll trade 10 Pau Gasols for a JRich! Tell us youre banning the NBA until this trade is vetoed! Tell us how much you hate stern!

Let me bask in your despair like Los Angeles did with mine!
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #8
D-Dogg
A Whole New World

Yeah...uhm no. I just am a bit jealous you got the guy. I don't like it when likeable players are on the Suns. It makes it harder to dislike them.

FFS, you now have Nash, Amare, Shaq, Hill and Richardson.

You lost Scottsdale Pub's Finest Diaw and Friggin Raja Bell. The likeability factor is far more than it should be. I dislike some of those guys (Nash, Shaq) for personal reasons but respect every single one of their games and enjoy watching them play.

Why couldn't you have traded for someone evil, like...oh, Antoine Walker and Mike Bibby? Then I could take my almost neutrality into a nice, natural Suns hate rather than this...."hey, i might watch some Suns games" weird world.
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #9
YouJustGotSUNSD
Custom User Title!

So it's more of a "you hate loving us," than a "you love hating us."

I'll take it!
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #10
Blackification
Registered

This is good I like it. Some chemistry should form between our bench. Barnes and Barbosa are already starting to click from their mother situation and him playing like Barnes did with Monta in GS now add another player who barnes is already familiar with and we have some chemistry within our new players and it isn't just shaq and hill who seem to be really good friends outside of basketball and Nash and Amar'e who have been together the longest. If we get some good chemistry going and all these people give everything they got we have really good chances. I will miss Singletary's enthusiasm but if we get a better back up point gaurd I won't miss him too much. Still the sun is getting much brighter in Phoenix with this trade.
Blackification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #11
D-Dogg
A Whole New World

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouJustGotSUNSD View Post
So it's more of a "you hate loving us," than a "you love hating us."

I'll take it!
Yeah, pretty much. Adding J-Rich makes me like you more, and subtracting smug douchebag Raja makes me dislike you less.

Thank God I've built up a lot of hate for the Suns or I'd be in trouble.

I actually attended a Suns/Spurs playoff game, cheering for the Suns, once. The series where Marbury pooped on the court when they won a game. Of course, I was cheering for the suns because I wanted the Lakers to play the Suns instead of the Spurs, but I really liked that team with little bitty holy crap amazing Amare.

By the way, when did he become Amar'e? That's stupid.
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #12
Blackification
Registered

I can also see him and Amar'e really getting some chemistry together with their similar play styles I think Amar'e can put his ego behind him for a little bit because he knows if he stays Phoenix this is going to be the guy staying with him and if they build the chemistry now come 2010 when we start building around Amar'e we can get a good team going early in the rebuilding process.
Blackification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #13
Linderbee
Goodbye, Sir. Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Interesting read, sounds like he wants to do everything in his power to help this team win, good mentality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Good attitude....can't wait to see if he makes a positive impact.
Bah. What's he going to say? "I can't believe I got traded to the armpit of the NBA! I'm firing my agent for this!!!" No. That would be vocational suicide. Granted, he may have meant it, but the whole interview made me think of this:

Quote:
CRASH: It's time you started working on your interviews.

NUKE: What do I gotta do?

CRASH: Learn your clichés. Study them. Know them. They're your friends.
Write this down. "We gotta play 'em one day at a time."

NUKE: Boring.

CRASH: Of course. That's the point. "I'm just happy to be here and hope
I can help the ballclub."

NUKE: Jesus.

CRASH: Write, write -- "I just wanta give It my best shot and, Good Lord
willing, things'll work out."
Old December 11th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #14
elindholm
rehabilitated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linderbee
Bah. What's he going to say?
Did you read Diaw's comments? Even cliches aren't automatic.

where's elindholm, i need to vomit again! -- Ouchie-Z-Clown

elindholm: Learn to read. -- Manu4five
elindholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 07:11 AM   #15
DeAnna
He Brought Sexy Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by elindholm View Post
Did you read Diaw's comments? Even cliches aren't automatic.
Which surprised me 'cuz Boris was one of the "malcontents" but was never vocal about it like Raja was. Then the roles were reversed when they were interviewed after the trade.