Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Phoenix Suns

Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:59 PM   #46
boisesuns
Standing Tall And Traded

Send a message via AIM to boisesuns Send a message via MSN to boisesuns
It seemed like Harden was going to come back, and then they sent him back to the locker room. Often times, the suspension seems to be tied to the injury of the other player. Hopefully it's the intent and the potential of what could have happened that gets taken into account. (And hopefully harden is ok)

The nba didn't need this. First the lockout lost a lot of fans, and now the suspension length better send a message that this isn't tolerated.

but then again, we're talking about it!
boisesuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:14 PM   #47
Mathew81
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisesuns View Post
It seemed like Harden was going to come back, and then they sent him back to the locker room. Often times, the suspension seems to be tied to the injury of the other player. Hopefully it's the intent and the potential of what could have happened that gets taken into account. (And hopefully harden is ok)
He has a concussion:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ey...ld-peace-elbow

Quote:
Harden will be subject to the NBA's new concussion policy, which mandates that Dr. Jeffrey Kutcher, a professor of neurology at the University of Michigan and the Director of the NBA's Concussion Program, must independently clear Harden before he can return to the court.

The Oklahoman reported that it "could be a few days" before Harden is able to receive said clearance and that he did not address reporters on Sunday. It's not clear whether he will be able to play in OKC's two remaining regular season games.
Mathew81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:14 PM   #48
D-Dogg
A Whole New World

Send a message via MSN to D-Dogg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstreet View Post
Fast mode, slo-mode, the same thing happened.

Please...let's not act like slo mo doesn't add drama to live action.

Quote:
Perhaps you forget that Kobe had perpetually elbowed Raja in the face in that Laker series. I'm not condoning what Raja did but it there was a legitimate reason for the retaliation since the referees were swallowing their whistles. Raja plays tough defense but he is not know as a hot head. Raja did not attempt to hurt Kobe. In fact he took Kobe down for all to see. If Raja were inclined, he could have given Kobe a dose of his own medicine by popping him with his elbow and inflicting some real injury.
Like that makes ANY difference. It was a cheap shot. Potentially very harmful.

Quote:
I don't know how you can rationalize Metta World Peace's behavior on one one hand and defend his actions on the other hand. It seems if you claim Metta World Peace is "completely mental" it somehow makes it all better.
I don't defend his actions at all. I don't know how you get that from anything I've posted. What I have said is that it wasn't premeditated, and he had no clue who he was hitting. Defend it? No way...it was ridiculous and as I said, whatever he gets as a suspension will be too little. It was nasty.
D-Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:17 PM   #49
Superbone
Lifelong Suns Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
You don't know how to read either, huh?
I read it perfectly. Maybe you don't know how to write.
Superbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:22 PM   #50
Superbone
Lifelong Suns Fan

Quote:
You misunderstand my statement. Slo mo makes things look very different than they are in reality.
What slo mo does is show you the nuances. That is why slo mo is a staple of sports broadcasts.
Superbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:35 PM   #51
AsUdUdE
Registered

The most maddening thing about this situation, is how brutal it was.. Here Raffi Torres who is viewed in hockey a little how Ron Artest is viewed in basketball, delivers a hit during the game, and is made an example of by getting a RIDICULOUS 25 games..

Here Ron Artest blatantly and viciously elbows a defenseless opponent, he is deserving of a suspension for the rest of the season WITHOUT A DOUBT.. If he gets anything less than 5 games there should be a riot...

What a classless piece of work..
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:06 PM   #52
carrrnuttt
b-balllnuttt

Quote:
However, he also had no friggin idea who was there, just there was a guy on him (which actually, IMO, makes it more frightening) and he blew him up.
Bull****.

Pro athletes live and die by their vision, especially their periphery and how they sense people around them, even behind. Now, whether or not he knew it was Harden might be debatable, but I guara-damn-tee that he knew it was an OKC player behind him.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:21 PM   #53
AzStevenCal
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsUdUdE View Post
The most maddening thing about this situation, is how brutal it was.. Here Raffi Torres who is viewed in hockey a little how Ron Artest is viewed in basketball, delivers a hit during the game, and is made an example of by getting a RIDICULOUS 25 games..

Here Ron Artest blatantly and viciously elbows a defenseless opponent, he is deserving of a suspension for the rest of the season WITHOUT A DOUBT.. If he gets anything less than 5 games there should be a riot...

What a classless piece of work..
I disagree (sort of). I think there are a few players in the NBA that are scum. I don't think Artest is one of them. I think he's actually a pretty decent guy most of the time. But Ron has a real problem. He's bat-crap crazy. I blame the NBA for this action more than I blame Artest. He's demonstrated a lack of control many times at both the NBA and collegiate level and enough is enough.

It's time the commissioner sits down with him and promises Artest the full support of the league as he deals with his issues and they should do everything they can to assist him in adjusting to life without basketball. But, make no mistake, it should be life WITHOUT basketball. It's not fair to the rest of the players to put them on the court with a man that has demonstrated time and again a willingness to assault others without regard for consequence.

While separating him permanently from the NBA might seem like harsh punishment, I'm not suggesting it should be done as punishment. I say suspend him in a manner consistent with the league standards and dock his pay the corresponding amount as a disciplinary action. Then, treat him as you would any other player with a disability that prevents further play.

Steve
AzStevenCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:22 PM   #54
asudevil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrrnuttt View Post
Bull****.

Pro athletes live and die by their vision, especially their periphery and how they sense people around them, even behind. Now, whether or not he knew it was Harden might be debatable, but I guara-damn-tee that he knew it was an OKC player behind him.
agreed. and how often do players blindly bump eachother? ALL THE FREAKING TIME. and how often do we see them EXPLODE with elbows?

artest is mental. sorry Meta World Peace is a complete f'ing nutbag.

and if some guy bumping into him is an excuse for him to blow up then he is a danger to the nba
asudevil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:46 PM   #55
D-Dogg
A Whole New World

Quote:
Bull****.

Bull**** - he knew someone was on him, but he had no idea who. there is NO way he knew it was harden, and incredibly doubtful he knew it was an OKC player...I'm sure he assumed it was an OKC player in the fraction of a second he had to process. It happened in an eyeblink, and he was primping for the crowd, looking at the crowd.

He had no effing clue what he did...he was completely gonzo and he had lost his freaking mind and threw the elbow while supercharged with hype and aggression. Inexcusable, but in no way was it premeditated or even thought about. He reacted in a crazy, violent manner, but it was a reaction, not a retaliation or anything of the sort. Thinking he had a clue what he was doing is a falsehood driven by the dramatic effect of slow motion replay. That happened FAST as all hell.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:54 PM   #56
carrrnuttt
b-balllnuttt

Quote:
Bull**** - he knew someone was on him, but he had no idea who. there is NO way he knew it was harden, and incredibly doubtful he knew it was an OKC player...I'm sure he assumed it was an OKC player in the fraction of a second he had to process. It happened in an eyeblink, and he was primping for the crowd, looking at the crowd.

He had no effing clue what he did...he was completely gonzo and he had lost his freaking mind and threw the elbow while supercharged with hype and aggression. Inexcusable, but in no way was it premeditated or even thought about. He reacted in a crazy, violent manner, but it was a reaction, not a retaliation or anything of the sort. Thinking he had a clue what he was doing is a falsehood driven by the dramatic effect of slow motion replay. That happened FAST as all hell.
Dude. Lay off your Laker glasses bro.

Harden didn't come at him from behind. Harden came from his front peripheral area. At the VERY least, he saw the flash of his uniform color.

I was a state corrections officer, and trust me when I say that "eyes behind your back" is almost a real thing--and I'm not being paid professionally for my excellent vision on a well-lighted basketball court.

EDIT: Of course, you're also operating under your Laker-tinted view that MWP "didn't mean it." If you look at it again, MWP deliberately lifts his elbow level to his head to make it over the-person-behind-him's shoulder. I'd link you to all the "fist pumps" I've seen in the NBA that's done that way, but I can't find any. They're usually done more naturally, with the elbows never raising above the shoulders.

Last edited by carrrnuttt; April 22nd, 2012 at 10:01 PM.
carrrnuttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:02 PM   #57
D-Dogg
A Whole New World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbone View Post
I read it perfectly. Maybe you don't know how to write.
Hmmm....so you say that I put the blame on Harden because I think he was stupid to go near a psychopath. However, you failed to read these comments from me:

Quote:
Meds are a good thing, Metta Ron.
Quote:
Ron was way out of line and will deserve however many games he gets plus some
Quote:
Ron was out of control and didn't know who he was punishing...he felt someone and lost his **** and swung. Inexcusable.
Quote:
That said, Ron gets five games and it will be a slap on the wrist...should get 20.
Quote:
Absolutely...I was telling my wife if it were me, my neck would be broken. Artest is what, 260 lbs of muscle? That's a wickedly lethal weapon (driven by a crazy man).

Yes, you need to learn to read. My writing is just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbone View Post
What slo mo does is show you the nuances. That is why slo mo is a staple of sports broadcasts.
Slo mo shows you what happened....but it does NOT show you why. It exaggerates motions and allows one to infer all kinds of crap that does not come into play as to the action that takes place in real, live, actual time. Watching Ron's arm cock back for the elbow takes a ton of time in slo mo, letting you place all your bias and expectations in the gap. In reality, without slo-mo, Artest had an eyeblink between getting bumped to having Harden on the ground - the dude was raging after a big play and pumping adrenaline like mad...it was clearly a reactionary play and not a play with forethought.

It was a BAD play, and inexcusable, but it wasn't thought out. People act like Ron was thinking "oh, let me knock Harden or this OKC dude out right here." He didn't have time for that...he was in the "get off me mothereffer" mode, which IMO is far more dangerous (and crazy) than a guy who is headhunting another dude for retaliation. Ron is a danger to everyone, because when he snaps like that, he doesn't really care about anyone but Ron...he's in his own little world. Even as a teammate, I for sure would not be the one getting between him and another player because he's the type of guy who would swing through a "friend" to get to his perceived enemy, and damn the torpedoes. Those guys are dangerous, and not to be trifled with.

I agree with Steven in many respects...probably shouldn't be playing basketball when he isn't medicated or in charge of his mental facilities. He's more than a touch unstable. At core, I think he's actually a very good guy, but he has serious mental issues.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:07 PM   #58
D-Dogg
A Whole New World

Quote:
Dude. Lay off your Laker glasses bro.

Harden didn't come at him from behind. Harden came from his front peripheral area. At the VERY least, he saw the flash of his uniform color.

I was a state corrections officer, and trust me when I say that "eyes behind your back" is almost a real thing--and I'm not being paid professionally for my excellent vision on a well-lighted basketball court.

EDIT: Of course, you're also operating under your Laker-tinted view that MWP "didn't mean it." If you look at it again, MWP deliberately lifts his elbow level to his head to make it over the-person-behind-him's shoulder. I'd link you to all the "fist pumps" I've seen in the NBA that's done that way, but I can't find any. They're usually done more naturally, with the elbows never raising above the shoulders.
Wrong. Of course he meant it. He wanted whomever was on him to get off. Of course, you are operating under your Suns colored glasses that anyone who likes the Lakers doesn't know ****. Whatever.

Watch the live action video - he had no time to discern anything, he was in FULL reaction mode. If you worked corrections, you know also that people defend themselves instinctively, and crazy people aggressively attack instinctively in "defense."

And I never said he came at him from behind...he came from the side, and Ron was looking at the crowd with adrenaline pumping through his brain like a fountain...if he saw a color flash of the uniform it didn't matter, he was already committed to throwing that bow no matter what. The dude is like nitroglycerin, handle with care.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:12 PM   #59
carrrnuttt
b-balllnuttt

Quote:
Wrong. Of course he meant it. He wanted whomever was on him to get off. Of course, you are operating under your Suns colored glasses that anyone who likes the Lakers doesn't know ****. Whatever.

Watch the live action video - he had no time to discern anything, he was in FULL reaction mode. If you worked corrections, you know also that people defend themselves instinctively, and crazy people aggressively attack instinctively in "defense."

And I never said he came at him from behind...he came from the side, and Ron was looking at the crowd with adrenaline pumping through his brain like a fountain...if he saw a color flash of the uniform it didn't matter, he was already committed to throwing that bow no matter what. The dude is like nitroglycerin, handle with care.
Again:

BULL****

Feel free to look at what--or more like who--"World Peace" was DIRECTLY looking at, right before he sidled over to knock him out:

^ That's the video in the OP. Feel free to go to the marked time and see what happens after, and tell me that MWP didn't at least know that an OKC player was behind him, considering there are NO white jerseys in front of him before he went "looking at the crowd."

Last edited by carrrnuttt; April 22nd, 2012 at 10:17 PM.
carrrnuttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:19 PM   #60
D-Dogg
A Whole New World

Quote:
Again:

BULL****

Feel free to look at what--or more like who--"World Peace" was DIRECTLY looking at, right before he sidled over to knock him out:

LOL, your little image cap shows him looking more in the direction of Durant.

That super meaningful look is 1/30th of a second of life, when the dude is starting to pound on his chest and preen for the crowd. He never looks at or addresses Harden at all.

game speed:

I don't think the crazy muffer even realized what he had done for a good 20 seconds. He is visibly shocked people are coming at him pissed off.

He simply flipped the f out. which is not surprising.