Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Phoenix Suns

Old June 27th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #61
oneofthesedays
Registered

Hey guys, Laker fan here. I'm just wondering if this latest ATL deal makes sense even to Phoenix fans. Here in Lakerland we are very confused by these latest deals.

So if this deal is even true or close to happening you would be trading the future of your franchise to get KG. Amare is a 1st team all-NBA all-star center who is SEVEN YEARS younger than KG. Not only that, but you would be trading to ATL who will no doubt instantly make the playoffs next year with Amare making your future 08' pick from them worthless? KG offers better defense but I don't think he'd do as well offensively as Amare in your system. A minimal upgrade at best as far as I can see.

I would go out and hang Steve Kerr if this deal goes through. You would essentially be mortgaging your future for slightly better defense. Your team was 2 suspensions away from winning it all last year, you don't need a complete re-tooling. Just a defensive presence that can guard the likes of Tim Duncan. I'd be interested to know if you guys see something out of this deal that I'm not seeing.

oneofthesedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #62
TJ
W.W.R.G.D.

Send a message via Skype™ to TJ
I dont want anyone to be traded. I like things status quo. But if we have to trade someone, it has to be marion to boston and getting garnett from Min. The untradeable should be SToudemire. If the Suns trade away STAT, they would be taking two steps back

But just to make matters simple, dont trade anyone!!
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #63
Amare32
STAT man

Quote:
Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett is close to going to the Phoenix Suns in a monumental three-way trade that would send Phoenix forward Amare Stoudemire to the Atlanta Hawks, league sources said Wednesday. Atlanta would move the Nos. 3 and 11 picks in Thursday's draft, as well as Zaza Pachulia and Anthony Johnson, to Minnesota.
Minnesota owner Glen Taylor has delivered a mandate to his basketball executives to get a deal done, one league executive said.
Yahoo! Sports has learned that the trade would also save the Hawks from an emerging showdown between the front office and coaching staff over whom to draft with the third pick. The front office and coaching staff had settled on Florida power forward Al Horford, but a faction of the Atlanta Spirit ownership group, with business interests in China, is pushing them to take Yi Jianlian.
the trade.

The deal hinges on Atlanta general manager Billy Knight saying yes, as well as Hawks ownership, which is mired in lawsuits, being willing to increase payroll. It is believed that star Hawks guard Joe Johnson talked to his former Suns teammate on Wednesday and that the 24-year-old Stoudemire, a first-team All-NBA choice, told him that he'd welcome the trade.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #64
AsUdUdE
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouJustGotSUNSD View Post
Repeat after me: Kerr will not trade our 24 year old superstar franchise player the first year on the job.

Then think of a string of words that could convince you otherwise.

Don't believe the hype folks.
Are you still so sure?...

this is starting to get messy...

I mean honestly is there anyway Kerr does this trade?

Unless the suns end up with the #3/#7 along with KG in the trade it makes no sense to do it...

NONE...

Ofcourse Minnesota/ATL LOVE the deal.... they are BOTH coming out smelling like a rose...

Kerr.. stop this right now, let KG come here next year for the MLE, no use in ruining your GM career in your 1st month....
AsUdUdE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #65
F-Dog
lurker

I trust Coro on this more than any member of the national press, and certainly more than that smirking Dukie.
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #66
Griffin
Registered

The only way the Suns make this deal is if Amare has expressed that he does not want to play here anymore. This deal doesn't help next year, and it hurts in the long run. Financially, it doesn't help neither. We would trade the best center in the league not even in the prime of his career yet for an aging superstar and not even get any picks in return.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #67
mribnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
The only way the Suns make this deal is if Amare has expressed that he does not want to play here anymore. This deal doesn't help next year, and it hurts in the long run. Financially, it doesn't help neither. We would trade the best center in the league not even in the prime of his career yet for an aging superstar and not even get any picks in return.
Not to mention the other players/picks the Suns would have to give up to make the deal work. It doesn't make any sense financially, or from a talent standpoint.
mribnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #68
D-Dogg
A Whole New World

Send a message via MSN to D-Dogg
You guys give up Amare for KG and you are crazy...not like a fox. Just let KG go to the Lakers ( )...don't do anything rash like mortgage your future.

Seriously though, talk about a lateral move that eats up more of your precious salary cap money...how does this even make sense?

If I were atlanta and Minny I'd jump all over it immediately and submit it before Kerr could come to his senses...and because of that I don't think there is ANYTHING to this rumor...the moment it hit the table it would be gobbled up by Minny and ATL.
D-Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #69
Diawsome
Registered

You know for all of these "sources close to the situation" journalists, none of them seem to understand the salary cap and the CBA. You would think if they are going to make up a bunch of lies they would at least take the time to make sure they aren't so easily rejected. Amare for KG huh? Where do the Suns come up with roughly the other 14 million dollars in contracts the Suns would need to give up just to match KG's salary.

This is basically what the Suns would have to do just to match KG's salary
Outgoing
Amare -- $6,227,500
Thomas -- $8,091,188
Banks -- $3,966,207
Jones -- $2,900,000
Total - $21,184,895 * 125% + 100,000 = $26,581,119

Incoming
Garnett -- $25,300,000

Last edited by Diawsome; June 27th, 2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: editing for correct salary
Diawsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #70
dreamcastrocks
Chopped Liver Moderator

Atlanta needs to send us the #3 pick, not Minnesota.

I would HATE for Amare to be traded, but it would be worth trading him, for the #3 pick and KG. A lineup of

Nash
Bell
Marion
KG
Horford

is about the only way I could deal with Amare gone.
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #71
Folster
The system doesn't work.

Let Minnesota keep KG. After tomorrow they won't get near as much for him. We don't lose anything if the deal doesn't go down. We still have a contender without KG. Add the #24, #29 and Grant Hill and we are looking pretty good. Not to mention we still have the possibility of moving up into the lottery.

If Minnesota doesn't pull the trigger they will have to accept a trade like Philly did for Iverson. (One good player and a couple of late draft picks).
Folster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #72
D-Dogg
A Whole New World

Send a message via MSN to D-Dogg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diawsome View Post
Total - $21,838,783 * 125% + 100,000 = $27,398,479

Incoming
Garnett -- $25,300,000

They have to be within 25%...not that they have to be over by 25%.

At least that's how I understand it.
D-Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #73
AsUdUdE
Registered

If this trade does infact go down and the suns don't get any picks either... I can't WAIT to hear Kerr try and explain why he felt trading his 24-year old Super Star, a good back-up center, and a decent SF, all while ruining any chance of the ATL pick next year being any good, for a 31 year -old on the down side of his career....

Should be interesting...Man, I can't express how much I hope this DOESN'T go down.....

And if it does... The only way I will be able to MAYBE adventually forgive Kerr is if we get the #3 or #7 pick, and We still have a deal with Charlotte to trade the ATL pick, #24, #29, and Diaw for the #8 pick... so we essestually trade

Amare
Diaw

Recieve:
KG

its the ONLY way this makes sense.....and even then Id rather have Amare + 8, than that anyways....

ARGH....
AsUdUdE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #74
Gaddabout
Plucky Comic Relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diawsome View Post
You know for all of these "sources close to the situation" journalists, none of them seem to understand the salary cap and the CBA. You would think if they are going to make up a bunch of lies they would at least take the time to make sure they aren't so easily rejected. Amare for KG huh? Where do the Suns come up with roughly the other 14 million dollars in contracts the Suns would need to give up just to match KG's salary.

This is basically what the Suns would have to do just to match KG's salary
Outgoing
Amare -- $6,881,388
Thomas -- $8,091,188
Banks -- $3,966,207
Jones -- $2,900,000
Total - $21,838,783 * 125% + 100,000 = $27,398,479

Incoming
Garnett -- $25,300,000
Amare makes $12+ mil a year. The Suns would need no less than $7+ mil more and no more than $19 mil more in salary to match it according to the CBA.
Gaddabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #75
az1965
Love Games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofthesedays View Post
Hey guys, Laker fan here. I'm just wondering if this latest ATL deal makes sense even to Phoenix fans. Here in Lakerland we are very confused by these latest deals.

So if this deal is even true or close to happening you would be trading the future of your franchise to get KG. Amare is a 1st team all-NBA all-star center who is SEVEN YEARS younger than KG. Not only that, but you would be trading to ATL who will no doubt instantly make the playoffs next year with Amare making your future 08' pick from them worthless? KG offers better defense but I don't think he'd do as well offensively as Amare in your system. A minimal upgrade at best as far as I can see.

I would go out and hang Steve Kerr if this deal goes through. You would essentially be mortgaging your future for slightly better defense. Your team was 2 suspensions away from winning it all last year, you don't need a complete re-tooling. Just a defensive presence that can guard the likes of Tim Duncan. I'd be interested to know if you guys see something out of this deal that I'm not seeing.
You are preaching to the choir...

I don't see any improvements, maybe even taking few steps backwards.