Enjoy an Ads-Free ASFN - lighter and faster too! Become an ASFN-Contributor and help support the site.
Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Phoenix Suns

Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:10 PM   #1
George O'Brien

Kobe Isn't Going Anywhere

After watching Kobe destroy the Suns again, my thoughts weren't "wow we've to get this guy". It was, "Kobe is not going anywhere".

Whatever friction Kobe may have with Shaq, it is not going to be enough to make him give up being on certain championship contender and $50 million to boot. Against the Suns, Kobe showed the kind of "team play" that Shaq was asking for and still scored 40 points.

I'm not going to hedge. As long as he does not go to prison, Kobe will be a Laker next year. 100% done deal. Oh, he will shop around and let everybody ooh and ah over him, but Kobe is not leaving the Lakers.
Enjoy an Ads-Free ASFN - lighter and faster too! Become an ASFN-Contributor and help support the site.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:13 PM   #2
slinslin
Welcome to Amareca

Please stay reasonable.

First of all the difference is much much smaller than 50M$.

It is more like 15M$.

Second of all the Lakers don't really look like a contender and Shaq is far away from the most dominant player in the league at this point.
Minnesota, Sacramento and San Antonio look much better still. I wouldn't sell Dallas, Detroit, Indiana and New Jersey short either.

I doubt the Lakers even get out of the 2nd round.

You put Kobe on the Suns next season, they would be better than the Lakers if he stayed with Shaq a year older, Payton a year older if he even stays, Malone a year older if he ever comes back.

They have about no chance to get under the cap until Shaq retires which is 2007 at best.
3. Jabari Parker 6'9 SF Duke
4. Noah Vonleh 6'11 PF Indiana
5. Exum, Randle, Gordon, Smart

Sleeper Picks:
Montrezl Harrell PF Louisville,
James Young G/F Kentucky,
KJ McDaniels SF Clemson,
Jordan Adams SG UCLA
Clint Capela PF, Switzerland
slinslin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:24 PM   #3
George O'Brien

Quote:
Originally posted by slinslin
Please stay reasonable.

First of all the difference is much much smaller than 50M$.

It is more like 15M$.
Oh? How do you figure that?

Quote:

Second of all the Lakers don't really look like a contender and Shaq is far away from the most dominant player in the league at this point.
He is as long as long as the refs refuse to call 3 second violations and offensive fouls against him.

Quote:

Minnesota, Sacramento and San Antonio look much better still. I wouldn't sell Dallas, Detroit, Indiana and New Jersey short either.

I doubt the Lakers even get out of the 2nd round.
It is a certainty as long as there are no more major injuries. The Lakers are made for the slow down game of the playoffs.

Quote:

You put Kobe on the Suns next season, they would be better than the Lakers if he stayed with Shaq a year older, Payton a year older if he even stays, Malone a year older if he ever comes back.
Is this after you've gotten rid of White to clear cap space.

Quote:
They have about no chance to get under the cap until Shaq retires which is 2007 at best.
But they do have mid cap which is fine for getting role players. How many more big time players do they need?

As a life long Laker hater, I would love to see those snots fall apart. But don't count on their losing Kobe for that to happen.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:30 PM   #4
slinslin
Welcome to Amareca

The Lakers deal is 7yrs/140M$, the Suns deal 6yrs/100M$ plus he could work out a sign and trade.

If he resigns for another year after the 6yrs are up he could get ~25M$ in that year because the last year of that 6yrs contract should be over 20M$.

So the difference is more like 15M$ not 50M$ you suggested.

The Lakers showed how they are made for the slow down playoffs when San Antonio eliminated them last season.

You put Kobe on the Suns tonight, they would have blown out the Lakers, Shaq in the lane or not.

There is no doubt that if the Suns want to sign Kobe they can easily get in a position to sign him for the max. There is no question.

Sleeper Picks:
KJ McDaniels SF Clemson,
Jordan Adams SG UCLA
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:32 PM   #5
Chaplin
Public Enemy #1

Re: Kobe Isn't Going Anywhere

Quote:
Originally posted by George O'Brien
After watching Kobe destroy the Suns again, my thoughts weren't "wow we've to get this guy". It was, "Kobe is not going anywhere".

Whatever friction Kobe may have with Shaq, it is not going to be enough to make him give up being on certain championship contender and $50 million to boot. Against the Suns, Kobe showed the kind of "team play" that Shaq was asking for and still scored 40 points.

I'm not going to hedge. As long as he does not go to prison, Kobe will be a Laker next year. 100% done deal. Oh, he will shop around and let everybody ooh and ah over him, but Kobe is not leaving the Lakers.
Dang, cry me a river! Is this your easy way of making sure that when the summer comes, you'll be safe to say "see, I told you so!" That seems to be your modus operandi.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:42 PM   #6
fordronken

See, I looked at Kobe's good game as an audition. But I guess I'm just an optimist, instead of a pessimist(read: "George O'Brien").
fordronken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:43 PM   #7
George O'Brien

Re: Re: Kobe Isn't Going Anywhere

Quote:
Originally posted by Chaplin
Dang, cry me a river! Is this your easy way of making sure that when the summer comes, you'll be safe to say "see, I told you so!" That seems to be your modus operandi.
Up to this point I have hedged my bets. I said it was unlikely.

Do you want me to put it on my postscript "Kobe will remain a Laker".
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:49 PM   #8
slinslin
Welcome to Amareca

Some people keep saying they couldn't root for Kobe because he was a Laker.

Why?

Signing Kobe would be a shot in the heart to all Lakers fans. If you ever mention the possibility of Kobe signing here on a Lakers board you will be told that he would never go to a dump like Phoenix etc.

We could say "WE TOLD YOU SO" to Lakers fans for the rest of our lives.

Sleeper Picks:
KJ McDaniels SF Clemson,
Jordan Adams SG UCLA
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:53 PM   #9
George O'Brien

Quote:
Originally posted by slinslin
Some people keep saying they couldn't root for Kobe because he was a Laker.

Why?

Signing Kobe would be a shot in the heart to all Lakers fans. If you ever mention the possibility of Kobe signing here on a Lakers board you will be told that he would never go to a dump like Phoenix etc.

We could say "WE TOLD YOU SO" to Lakers fans for the rest of our lives.
Actually destroying the Lakers MIGHT be worth it even if it did not really help the Suns.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 07:10 PM   #10
Yuma
Out of posting retirement!

I agree with George. He will shop himself, just like Duncan did, then break everyone's hearts and let some undeserving slobs eat up all the cap space teams were making hoping they could lure him to them. Just like Duncan. His wife will own him after all this and from what I have read she has family in LA and how many women will move from their families unless forced to. I bet Mrs. Bryant will determine where Kobe goes next year. I bet she wants LA. Done deal!

Who makes the playoffs first? Suns or Cards?
Yuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2004, 07:11 PM   #11
elindholm
rehabilitated

George O'Brien, you'd have a lot more credibility if you'd acknowledge when you're wrong, as you are on the salary issue, by which I mean the difference between the deal the Lakers can offer and what Bryant could get from another team. Both slinslin and I have corrected you now and you haven't said a word. I often make factual statements about things which I think are true, but when someone points out an error, I thank him for the correction and move on.

If you watched more Laker games, you'd see that this is the same kind of "team play" Bryant demonstrates most of the time. Of course he does not usually score 40 points, but he is a good team player.

If the Suns succeed in moving White or Eisley, they can offer Bryant a max contract, or so close to a max deal that the difference is negligible.

That said, I agree that Bryant is very unlikely to leave the Lakers, as I have said all along. I think he'll double-check which way the franchise is headed and then stay with the sure thing.
elindholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2004, 07:12 PM   #12
Yuma
Out of posting retirement!

Even with George's facts being wrong on the salary, bottom-line, you and Slin both have a gut worry about this, Kobe will stay in LA.

Who makes the playoffs first? Suns or Cards?
Yuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2004, 07:14 PM   #13
elindholm
rehabilitated

you and Slin both have a gut worry about this, Kobe will stay in LA.

I'm not sure I'd call it a "worry." It's more of a "realization." I never thought Bryant was coming to the Suns anyway, and I still don't. It would be great if it happened, but I regard it as very unlikely, and I certainly don't have my heart set on it.
elindholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2004, 07:35 PM   #14
thegrahamcrackr

I don't see it happening either, but I will throw in my opinion ona couple of things.

1.) The court case is irrelevent. I don't see why people even bring it up anymore. There is no way Kobe gets convicted, and at this point, I am not even sure it will make it to trial.

2.) The Lakers are in a big time state of dissaray this summer. Both Jackson and Shaq will want their extensions. Payton and Malone can opt out after this year. If the Lakers do not win the championship, then the chances Kobe leaves go up.

3.) The salary point is irrelevent. If Kobe cared about the money, he would have signed his extension already.

4.) Slin, your salary numbers prove the difference is smaller than first thought. However, I think you are greatly underestimating the fact of guaranteed money. What if Kobe gets injured near the end of his 6 year deal? It becomes a lot less likely he will get a max extension for the 7th year. In theory, the difference isn't large, but you have to acknowledge how much more valuable the guarantee is. Of course, I dont think money will be a factor, so it doesn't matter anyways.

5.) If Kobe leaves, I think it will be to Phoenix. The clipps being second, but I don't think their core or future is nearly as bright as the suns. Especially since they will have to loose at least Q to get Kobe.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 07:38 PM   #15
thegrahamcrackr

BTW, I was at the game tonight, not sure if they showed the warmups for the second half on tv or not.

For about 3-4 minutes, Kobe was at the suns bench laughing it up with D'antoni, while the other lakers were shooting around. Then when warmups ended, and the teams were at their benches, Kobe was talking with and hugging Grgurich for about 2 minutes.

The entire Laker team was in a huddle, and Kobe sprinted over there just as the half was starting.

I know it isn't a big deal since he is friends with Mike, and every player seems to love Grgurich, but I just thought it was worth mentioning.

Tags
bench player, cap room, charles barkley, clear cap space, gary payton, karl malone, los angeles lakers, malik rose, manu ginobili, penny hardaway, playoff team, role player, salary cap room, scottie pippen, suns fan, tom chambers, van exel