Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Phoenix Suns

Old May 15th, 2007, 01:43 AM   #1
AZ Shocker

26 million Consumers vs. 6 Million Consumers

For some reason the NBA is in love with small market San Antoinio. I couldn't put my finger on it entirely until I realized even though San Antoinio is small...it is in the gigantic Texas market (comparable to California and New York).

Obviously there must be a lot of "closet" Spurs fans in metro Houston and Dallas and all over the state buying Chevy's and Bud-Lite (commericials that pay the bills for ABC, ESPN, and TNT).

Heck with both the Dallas Mavs and Houston Rockets out of the playoff race (both Texas teams), the NBA "knows" and figures Texans' all over the state will be "tuning in" to view a local state team win a Championship. Texas as a whole is a huge market spending lots of dough on American product(s).

Arizona with only 6 million in the entire state can't compete with the Texas consumer of over 23 million.
23 MILLION consumers in Texas! That there is a lot of trucks, beer and Tim Duncan jerseys that will sell.

San Antoinio will win in 6!

Why? Because the league has been and will always be "fixed". Listen to and hear this FACT. There hasn't been a "non-huge market" team win the NBA Championship since over 30 years ago.

Two Suns starters (Amare and Diaw) will be suspended for Wed. game guarenteeing a Spurs victory all because San Antoinio's Robert Horry "body checked" two-time MVP Steve Nash in the final minutes of the game. Complete chicken-**** and dirty play, but the league ironically will penalize the Phoenix Suns for doing nothing while the Spurs thugs get a way with murder. Game 6 in San Antoinio will go down as one of the worst officiated games ever as the Spurs route the Suns winning the series.

Congrats to the Spurs for "playing" the Jerry Springer slash "politically correct" system-society we live in today, and good luck against Detroit in the Finals.

It's all about which market generates the most "sales" kids. Don't let them kid ya.

Funny how I'm pissed (even though the Suns won)!!!
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #2
D-Dogg
A Whole New World

Send a message via MSN to D-Dogg

I didn't know Phoenix was quickly turning into Sacramento before my very eyes.
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #3
Chris_Sanders
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris_Sanders Send a message via AIM to Chris_Sanders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post

My patience for this is at a minimum. Just a warning.
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #4
dodie53
A. O. II

shocker..

"Above and Beyond"

-- Steve Nash

"I don't even care how much I score.
I just want to win."
-- Ron Artest
dodie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #5
Chris_Sanders
Super Moderator

BTW,

I don't agree with any of this, which is how you say it instead of making some whiner reference.
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #6
D-Dogg
A Whole New World

Send a message via MSN to D-Dogg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Sanders View Post
My patience for this is at a minimum. Just a warning.
Thanks for the warning. I'll shut up and let the board speak for itself

Good series...
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #7
Chris_Sanders
Super Moderator

I have never understood the idea that the NBA is fixed.

If the NBA was fixed than Los Angeles and Miami would be playing in the finals. Kobe vrs Shaq. #1 merchandise seller vrs #2. It would be huge.

The last thing the NBA wants from a ratings standpoint would be Detroit/San Antonio. TV Deals is where the real money is and low ratings kill negotiating power. The NBA is praying that Lebron James makes it to the finals, not Detroit.
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #8
AZ Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post

Unfortunentely in the eyes of the NBA and "corporate" America...Phoenix and Sacremento have more in common than I and the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce would care to admit. lol Lack of corporate $, $, and more $$$. NBA is a well-oiled and financed machine. Texas money outweighs Arizona money by 20 million consumers. It's science. lol

In the last 30 years and since David Stern has come aboard in 1984...with the excemption of Miami last season...the NBA Champion has come from American heavy-weight markets...Los Angeles, Chicago, Texas, Detroit, Boston. That's it!!!! Five geographic areas!!! All with MAJOR deep pockets, and millions of fans who buy millions of dollars of product.

So where are the other teams? Why hasn't Phoenix, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Atlanta, Denver, Portland, Utah, Sacremento, Minnesota, Indiana, Orlando, etc. etc. never won a Championship???

In the history of the league...the chances of "other" teams winning is non-existent. Ask yourself...would you be interested in following the NBA if the Charlotte Bobcats or Memphis Grizzlies won 4 out of the last 7 NBA Championships??? Probably not (as would most Americans). What if the Sacremento Kings or Phoenix Suns had won the last 4 out of 7 NBA Championships??? Would you be following this league??? If that were to happen...this league would suck, and people around America would not watch.

David Stern is a genius money maker. Getting 18-20,000 people a night to drive into big-city downtowns every other night to watch a better "sketched" production of the WWF is nothing short of miraculous. We love it as fans...but c'mon...we all know it's fake.
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #9
Gaddabout
Plucky Comic Relief

If the NBA was fixed, Isaiah wouldn't be the New York GM and Cup-check wouldn't be the LA GM.

FWIW, Texas is a HUGE place, and I doubt they get any more TV viewers in Dallas, Houston, or wherever than they do for a Phoenix game. If they did, Texas would be the No. 1 target market for every advertiser, because they would dwarf even NY, LA, and Chicago.

OTOH, Phoenix is only 15th, but it's considered a desirable market (especially a test market) because there are so many people from elsewhere.
Gaddabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #10
Gee!
What The What!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Shocker View Post
Unfortunentely in the eyes of the NBA and "corporate" America...Phoenix and Sacremento have more in common than I and the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce would care to admit. lol Lack of corporate $, $, and more $$$. NBA is a well-oiled and financed machine. Texas money outweighs Arizona money by 20 million consumers. It's science. lol

In the last 30 years and since David Stern has come aboard in 1984...with the excemption of Miami last season...the NBA Champion has come from American heavy-weight markets...Los Angeles, Chicago, Texas, Detroit, Boston. That's it!!!! Five geographic areas!!! All with MAJOR deep pockets, and millions of fans who buy millions of dollars of product.

So where are the other teams? Why hasn't Phoenix, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Atlanta, Denver, Portland, Utah, Sacremento, Minnesota, Indiana, Orlando, etc. etc. never won a Championship???

In the history of the league...the chances of "other" teams winning is non-existent. Ask yourself...would you be interested in following the NBA if the Charlotte Bobcats or Memphis Grizzlies won 4 out of the last 7 NBA Championships??? Probably not (as would most Americans). What if the Sacremento Kings or Phoenix Suns had won the last 4 out of 7 NBA Championships??? Would you be following this league??? If that were to happen...this league would suck, and people around America would not watch.

David Stern is a genius money maker. Getting 18-20,000 people a night to drive into big-city downtowns every other night to watch a better "sketched" production of the WWF is nothing short of miraculous. We love it as fans...but c'mon...we all know it's fake.
Call me crazy, but this doesnt make sense at all..
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #11
Gaddabout
Plucky Comic Relief

Quote:
Los Angeles, Chicago, Texas, Detroit, Boston. That's it!!!! Five geographic areas!!! All with MAJOR deep pockets, and millions of fans who buy millions of dollars of product.
Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem, McHale, Duncan ... I don't suppose the location of the game's best big men had anything to do with it?
Gaddabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #12
mr_sunshine
Registered

Conspiracy theories are ridiculous. I find it hard to believe that anyone would be into this. :\
mr_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #13
AZ Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaddabout View Post
Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem, McHale, Duncan ... I don't suppose the location of the game's best big men had anything to do with it?
But it is ironic how they all wind up where they wound up.

Why hasn't Phoenix, Denver, Portland, Seattle, Utah, Cleveland, Sacremento, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Charlotte, Minnesota, Indiana, Memphis, New Orleans, Toronto, New Jersey, etc.etc. ever been able to land a "super stud" center???

Do all those teams listed above not know that a good center would increase there chances of winning a NBA Championship??? Are they all that stupid, and only guys who work for the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Rockets, and Pistons realize this?
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:36 AM   #14
AZ Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee! View Post
Call me crazy, but this doesnt make sense at all..
Care to expand? Where's the rebuttal? lol
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:36 AM   #15
mr_sunshine
Registered

Quote:
But it is ironic how they all wind up where they wound up.

Why hasn't Phoenix, Denver, Portland, Seattle, Utah, Cleveland, Sacremento, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Charlotte, Minnesota, Indiana, Memphis, New Orleans, Toronto, New Jersey, etc.etc. ever been able to land a "super stud" center???

Do all those teams listed above not know that a good center would increase there chances of winning a NBA Championship??? Are they all that stupid, and only guys who work for the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Rockets, and Pistons realize this?
You speak as if great centers come along every draft. This is definitely not true, and drafting one depends on luck. I mean hell, being a Suns and Celtics fan, I'm still extremely bitter that the Spurs got Duncan when the Cs had a 37% chance of getting the #1 pick. Oh how that fateful ping pong ball changed the course of NBA history forever.
mr_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote