Enjoy an Ads-Free ASFN - lighter and faster too! Become an ASFN-Contributor and help support the site.
Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Phoenix Suns > Other NBA Talk

Old July 8th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #196
tobiazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divide Et Impera View Post
That article says we may be getting David Lee. Someone try to clear this all up please....
All it means is that we could get a player in that price range. If Sarver were just planning on letting the TPE expire, he would have had little reason to acquire one, so it seems the Suns want some flexibility in that regard. If the Suns are doing well mid-way through the season, they may want to trade for a $10M player on a team that is in the cellar.
Enjoy an Ads-Free ASFN - lighter and faster too! Become an ASFN-Contributor and help support the site.
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #197
tobiazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshstmarie View Post
I think 13 a year is a pretty fair price for Lee, especially with boozer signing for 16.
Somewhere, it was stated that Sarver liked Lee at $10M, not $12-15M. I'm sure some team is willing to give him ~$13-14M, so he will not be on the Suns. Otherwise, it probably would have been a S&T for Lee.

Either GS gets Lee in S&T or NJ signs Lee in an attempt to steal NY fans.

BTW: $13M would be about 2/3's the price of Amare so that definitely sounds reasonable.
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #198
Louis
DJ Roomba

Location: Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My Head
What did the Suns do with the last big trade exception they had?
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #199
Mainstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I don't think anyone would argue that a TE is better than Lee or another player. The last TE (or at least the majority of it) went into Sarver's pocket.
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #200
SunsTzu

Quote:
The last big trade exception was acquired in th KT trade. There was no way they Suns were going to use it because if they were willing to pay that luxury tax they would have just kept him.
SunsTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:44 AM   #201
Louis
DJ Roomba

Location: Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstreet View Post
I don't think anyone would argue that a TE is better than Lee or another player. The last TE (or at least the majority of it) went into Sarver's pocket.
That's what I was thinking. I tried a search on the board but turned up nothing.

IIRC, the Suns had a pretty big TE the season Amare missed and Nash, Diaw, and Marion took the team to the WCF.

I think it was then but it expired and instead Tim Thomas was brought in (though he did fabulous).
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #202
Ouchie-Z-Clown
I'm better than Mulli!

if the suns could get the TE they had to do it. if for no other reason for PR reasons. "look, we got flexibility!" i fully expect it go unused.

"Standing mens bathroom troughs sucked rear nevermind the smell." - OmeneX (This just had to be quoted)
Ouchie-Z-Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:59 AM   #203
Mainstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsTzu View Post
The last big trade exception was acquired in th KT trade. There was no way they Suns were going to use it because if they were willing to pay that luxury tax they would have just kept him.
The KT trade was a colossal mistake unless one is a banker.
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #204
Chaplin
Public Enemy #1

The KT trade exception was under totally different circumstances. We were a taxpayer and using it effectively doubled the price of whoever we picked up. Now, we have a TE that if used does NOT make us a taxpayer depending on the contract being brought in.

Sarver still may not use it, but the actual chances of it being used are much, much better than the KT one.
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #205
slinslin
Welcome to Amareca

Quote:
That would have put us over the luxury tax. Now we are still 4M$ under the cap have a 14M$ trade exception twice as big as the last one and a 14M$ expiring contract of a very good player.

If we can't get quality picks or talents with that we just suck.
3. Jabari Parker 6'9 SF Duke
4. Noah Vonleh 6'11 PF Indiana
5. Exum, Randle, Gordon, Smart

Sleeper Picks:
Montrezl Harrell PF Louisville,
James Young G/F Kentucky,
KJ McDaniels SF Clemson,
Jordan Adams SG UCLA
Clint Capela PF, Switzerland
slinslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #206
Folster
The system doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinslin View Post
That would have put us over the luxury tax. Now we are still 4M$ under the cap have a 14M$ trade exception twice as big as the last one and a 14M$ expiring contract of a very good player.

If we can't get quality picks or talents with that we just suck.
Patience will be the key to capitalizing on those assets. I can see a team like Indiana or Philadelphia struggling during season, and realize they need to move a big contract and rebuild. A player like Granger or Iguodala could be stolen at that time just like Gasol was.
Folster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #207
SunsTzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplin View Post

Sarver still may not use it, but the actual chances of it being used are much, much better than the KT one.
It would be a complete waste to get it without the intent to use it. They'll likely have to lose 2 2nd round picks just to get the players they could have signed outright, plus they'll be missing out on about 4mil in cap space.
SunsTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #208
Joe Mama

Lee at $13-14 million for the next 5 years is a major mistake. Players making that much money better be able to create their own offense or be stellar defenders. He has neither of those traits. I know I'll catch hell for this, but give me Channing Frye at $6 million per season over David Lee at $13-14 million. And $6 million is a mistake on Frye unless he does some significant improving.

Joe
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #209
Ouchie-Z-Clown
I'm better than Mulli!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
Lee at $13-14 million for the next 5 years is a major mistake. Players making that much money better be able to create their own offense or be stellar defenders. He has neither of those traits. I know I'll catch hell for this, but give me Channing Frye at $6 million per season over David Lee at $13-14 million. And $6 million is a mistake on Frye unless he does some significant improving.

Joe
i agree with everything you said. and i a BIG opponent of the money we just ponied up for frye. let's not compound one mistake with another.

lee looks like another googs signing, but lee's not as good as googs was.

"Standing mens bathroom troughs sucked rear nevermind the smell." - OmeneX (This just had to be quoted)
Ouchie-Z-Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #210
Mainstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post

Joe
I'm sure Sarver will get someone better than Lee.

IMO, Sarver will pocket most of the TE. I guess the issue, could or would Sarver to do better with the TE. I don't think so.

Tags
amare stoudemire, new york knicks