Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Arizona Diamondbacks

Old June 20th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Skkorpion
Grey haired old Bird

This stuff gets old fast

If you watched last night, the FSN production team actually missed showing two pitches to Dbaks players during a tight game so Grace and Sutton could babble on about fans and signs to bring to the game.

On one, Ojeda was at bat and they showed an upper body closeup as the pitch went by, never showing the pitch.

On the Reynolds pickoff, they missed showing the first throw to first base, then completely whiffed on the pickoff throw which came next, only showing it after the inning was over.

After hearing Joe Garagiola, Matt Williams and whoever the guy is who is doing the twinkies game right now, every one of them makes the broadcast far better than when Grace is there.

And it's not all on Mark Grace. It's on the production team that allows and encourages the Grace/Sutton combo to suck.

The inane timings of the cutaways and fan interviews is on the producer.

I finally muted the sound and put on the radio but the radio leads the picture by close to 17 seconds. Hard to enjoy.

Grace can be good. Sutton can often be good. Grace/Sutton/Idiot producer suck hugely.

Last edited by Skkorpion; June 20th, 2008 at 05:13 PM.
Skkorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:38 AM   #2
AZCB34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skkorpion View Post
If you watched last night, the FSN production team actually missed showing two pitches to Dbaks players during a tight game so Grace and Sutton could babble on about fans and signs to bring to the game.

On one, Ojeda was at bat and they showed an upper body closeup as the pitch went by, never showing the pitch.

On the Reynolds pickoff, they missed showing the first throw to first base, then completely whiffed on the pickoff throw which came next, only showing it after the inning was over.

After hearing Joe Garagiola, Matt Williams and whoever the guy is who is doing the twinkies game right now, every one of them makes the broadcast far better than when Grace is there.

And it's not all on Mark Grace. It's on the production team that allows and encourages the Grace/Sutton combo to suck.

The inane timings of the cutaways and fan interviews is on the producer.

I finally muted the sound and put on the radio but the radio leads the picture by close to 17 seconds. Hard to enjoy.

Grace can be good. Sutton can often be good. Grace/Sutton/Idiot producer suck hugely.
Grace can be goood...Sutton is awful and for more than just the way he overreacts emotionally to simple things that happen in a game.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 08:20 PM   #3
BC867
Long time Phoenician!

I posted a few weeks ago about how boring it is to listen to Mark Grace address every one of his comments to "Daron Sutton", instead of the fans.

A week ago, listening to Joe Garagiola, Sr., do color commentary with Sutton on Friday and Saturday, I was reminded of how it should be done.

Yes, Joe is a fossil. But hearing him say, "As Daron mentioned", then commenting further directly to us in TV land, was much more professional than hearing Grace say, "You're right, Daron Sutton.", then discussing it with him, as though we were eavesdropping.

Sutton does the same thing Grace does, but did not do it once to Joe.

Apparently Daron is so much in awe of his color man, or is so eager to please the guy next to him, he is a follower.

My wife and I just got back from a week travelling southern California -- San Diego, Santa Barbara and L.A. Not once did I hear a Padre or Dodger announcer or color commentator pull the Sutton/Grace routine of addressing each other instead of the viewing or listening audience.

Someone needs to wise up our guys.
BC867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM   #4
Skkorpion
Grey haired old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC867 View Post
I posted a few weeks ago about how boring it is to listen to Mark Grace address every one of his comments to "Daron Sutton", instead of the fans.

A week ago, listening to Joe Garagiola, Sr., do color commentary with Sutton on Friday and Saturday, I was reminded of how it should be done.

Yes, Joe is a fossil. But hearing him say, "As Daron mentioned", then commenting further directly to us in TV land, was much more professional than hearing Grace say, "You're right, Daron Sutton.", then discussing it with him, as though we were eavesdropping.

Sutton does the same thing Grace does, but did not do it once to Joe.

Apparently Daron is so much in awe of his color man, or is so eager to please the guy next to him, he is a follower.

My wife and I just got back from a week travelling southern California -- San Diego, Santa Barbara and L.A. Not once did I hear a Padre or Dodger announcer or color commentator pull the Sutton/Grace routine of addressing each other instead of the viewing or listening audience.

Someone needs to wise up our guys.
Well put. You wrote what I meant but did it better.
Skkorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 08:42 PM   #5
AZZenny

Send a message via AIM to AZZenny
I listen to some CWS games, Mariners, and St. Louis, and while all have a bit of patter, they are broadcasting a game, not a sitcom. On occasion I actually learn things about the game of baseball I didn't know. I honestly can't think of anything I have ever learned about the game from listening to any of our TV announcers.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 08:45 PM   #6
BC867
Long time Phoenician!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skkorpion View Post
Well put. You wrote what I meant but did it better.
Skkorp, you made a great point about the Producer being responsible for what's been going on in the booth.

OMG, you and I are beginning to sound like the Mutual Admiration Society of Sutton and Grace.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 08:50 PM   #7
devilalum
Salary Cap Casualty

What pisses me off is the way they've gone in to damage control mode. Every team the Dbacks play is soooo good and every opposing pitcher has great stuff. If Brandon Webb had just got that one break he wouldn't have given up 11 runs and on and on and on.

I don't know what they're supposed to say but this glass half full routine is really insulting to my intelligence.
Old June 27th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #8
CardsFan88
NO MA'AM

Is there any listing of an announcer schedule? It's always a treat to listen to Joe Sr imo. I love hearing his stories and I agree the way he presents the game to the audience is top notch. One of these years he's going to lose it, and baseball will be forever poorer for it. Until then I would like to soak up as much as I can and enjoy it, from the understanding that he is such a special guy with such rare knowledge and insight of the game, from the WWII era (actually I think pre-WWII) to now.

Do they announce an announcer schedule? If not for the whole season, maybe a month at a time?
99+ percent fall into this category in regards to economics epitomized in a quote by Jack Nicholson from "A Few Good Men"...."You can't handle the (economic) truth". That's a fact. When the tsunami comes, what do you think will happen to the clueless ostriches? All so needless. All so certain. Don't blame me that the economists don't know economics one bit. Blame yourself for believing in the false dichotomy of competing ivory tower wizards.

SB Victory....In the Cards....someday?!?

R.I.P. Dad 5/14/33-11/27/13
CardsFan88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #9
BC867
Long time Phoenician!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan88 View Post
Is there any listing of an announcer schedule? It's always a treat to listen to Joe Sr imo. I love hearing his stories and I agree the way he presents the game to the audience is top notch. One of these years he's going to lose it, and baseball will be forever poorer for it. Until then I would like to soak up as much as I can and enjoy it, from the understanding that he is such a special guy with such rare knowledge and insight of the game, from the WWII era (actually I think pre-WWII) to now.

Do they announce an announcer schedule? If not for the whole season, maybe a month at a time?
I agree with you. But I don't believe they announce a schedule in advance for when Mark Grace does color on Fox games on Fri. and Sat.

The candidates are Joe, Sr. and Matt Williams and, if necessary, Tom Candiotti then Greg Schulte.

IMO, they (even the boring Matt Williams) are better than what Grace has become. Not what he could have been as an announcer, but what he has become.

Daron Sutton gears his presentation to the color commentator working with him. In the case of Grace, he dumbs down.

Did you hear when they proudly announced that the Red Sox announcers said that the D'backs TV booth is the loudest in baseball?

And Sutton and Grace started carrying on like a couple of adolescents, then kept bragging about it.

Enthusiasm at the right time is one thing. Juvenile behavior gets annoying.

Daron did a very good job when working alongside Joe, Sr.