Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Arizona Diamondbacks

Old July 30th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #211
devilalum
Salary Cap Casualty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson View Post
Let me see if I got this straight...a player can't throw a tantrum because that is immature, but he also can't look casual in the dugout because that shows he doesn't care? So, what should Upton have done?

BTW, the second play was a fly ball, not a hit.
He should have caught the damn ball to end the inning!
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:06 AM   #212
BC867
Long time Phoenician!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson View Post
Let me see if I got this straight...a player can't throw a tantrum because that is immature, but he also can't look casual in the dugout because that shows he doesn't care?
One destroys a dugout after committing a careless error while the other chews on a necklace with a glazed look in his eyes.

Two extremes, but both highlighting problems -- not keeping their minds on the game or acting as adults.

What should Upton have done? Doh! Catch the fly ball. Not throw the next one half way up the 3rd base line. And not react as a child.

If they need counseling, get it for them. Just as you would for a child who destroys school property because he failed a test. Or sits in class with a glazed look in his eye, chewing on a pacifier.

They are not going to get better if left untreated.
BC867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #213
Mulli
Wow wow wow

The guy is 21 right? Unless he goes full Zambrano anytime soon, we just have to ride out the rough spots. Maybe more vocal veterans around him can help smooth out the rough spots.
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #214
BC867
Long time Phoenician!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulli View Post
The guy is 21 right? Unless he goes full Zambrano anytime soon, we just have to ride out the rough spots. Maybe more vocal veterans around him can help smooth out the rough spots.
21? No! Justin Upton will be 24 next month and is in his 5th Major League season.

Chris Young will be 28 the following month and is in his 6th Major League season.

If they cannot stay focused on the game by now, each in their own way, they'll be riding out the rough spots for the rest of their careers.

Upton showing flashes of what might have been, offset by careless play in RF and childish tantrums in the dugout.

Young as a great fielding/mediocre hitting CF and King of the Popups, tying up the cleanup spot in the batting order.

Both Upton and Young come to the ballpark knowing that they will be in the starting lineup every game. Not every D'back starter can say that.

Kirk Gibson's biggest contribution as Manager is motivating his players.

Despite those two factors making it easier for Upton and Young to grow as players, the nagging problems persist.

It is frustrating for D'backs fans. Baseball may be a business, but its financial success depends upon how it does as a sport.
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #215
Mulli
Wow wow wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC867 View Post
21? No! Justin Upton will be 24 next month and is in his 5th Major League season.

Chris Young will be 28 the following month and is in his 6th Major League season.

If they cannot stay focused on the game by now, each in their own way, they'll be riding out the rough spots for the rest of their careers.

Upton showing flashes of what might have been, offset by careless play in RF and childish tantrums in the dugout.

Young as a great fielding/mediocre hitting CF and King of the Popups, tying up the cleanup spot in the batting order.

Both Upton and Young come to the ballpark knowing that they will be in the starting lineup every game. Not every D'back starter can say that.

Despite those two factors making it easier for Upton and Young to grow as players, the nagging problems persist.

It is frustrating for D'backs fans. Baseball may be a business, but its financial success depends upon how it does as a sport.
Patience grasshopper?
Old July 30th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #216
BC867
Long time Phoenician!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulli View Post
Patience grasshopper?
Excuse me. I dozed off while waiting for some results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyglT...eature=related
Old July 30th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #217
82CardsGrad
7 x 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC867 View Post

YOu know I'm with ya on CY... he needs to be dumped, post haste...
However, you really need to lighten up on Upton. Since the break, he has been our sole, entire offense. Instead of 3 games back, we'd be 10 games back if it weren't for Justin. He'll continue to mature as Gibby and Baylor will see to that.
82CardsGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #218
BC867
Long time Phoenician!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82CardsGrad View Post
You know I'm with ya on CY... he needs to be dumped, post haste...
However, you really need to lighten up on Upton.
OK!
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #219
The Commish
youknowhatimsayin?

Some of you are ridiculous. As a life long Phoenix sports fan, I'm used to watching lifeless, soft, boring teams and athletes. Our fans are not surprisingly much different.

Until this season, Upton was no different either. He appeared to be "checked out" or careless at times which was most evident is his defensive play. However, after the first month of the season he has been anything but. Upton has clearly been better defensively, been a monster at the plate, and has put the team on his back when it’s needed it. The fans have started to respond, as witnessed with the ASG booing of Fielder, Weeks and Holliday. Ironically, Phoenix fans also shed their label of being from the national media.

Even though Upton wisely deflected questions about the ASG controversy, you know that support meant a lot to him. Since then, he’s carried this team on his back and shown the fire that few star athletes have. He seems to play better when he's angry, and more importantly he's learned how to harness it. (I think Don Baylor deserves some credit).

D-Backs fans haven't had a young baseball superstar to root for. Growing up between here and Seattle, I remember witnessing the impact Griffey had on that franchise and the city itself town. Games were electric, and the town gravitated towards Griffey and the Mariners.

Upton, Phoenix the D-Backs have the same opportunity. Disenfranchised fans of the "stale" Suns and the soon-to-be divorcee fans of the Coyotes are “Jennifer Aniston” desperate for something or someone to rally behind. So for those who get upset when Upton throws a Gatorade cooler: take a hike. This team shouldn’t even be in contention right now and Justin is a huge reason why they are. More importantly, they are going to be really good for the next few seasons. I know for some of you complaining is second only to breathing, but stop pissing in my coffee. It’s all some of us have right now, and we’re lucky to have it at all.

The Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #220
BC867
Long time Phoenician!

It was great to see Justin clear the bases with a double by going with the outside pitch for a line drive to right field, giving us the lead.
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #221
Bert
Good Times!

I still think Justin Upton is good at baseball.
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #222
AZ Native
Hope is a good thing

He is very good. And with a little more thought and effort on defense, he could be GGGRRREEEAAATTT!!!!!!!!
Old July 30th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #223
AzStevenCal
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Native View Post
He is very good. And with a little more thought and effort on defense, he could be GGGRRREEEAAATTT!!!!!!!!
He's got room for improvement but he's awfully close to great already. I think he passed "very good" a few weeks ago.

Steve
AzStevenCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 01:24 AM   #224
AZ Native
Hope is a good thing

On offense, YES. On defense, NOT YET. No doubt he will. He can be SCARY GOOD!
Old July 31st, 2011, 06:49 AM   #225
HooverDam

On the BS report (with Bill Simmons) recently they were talking about how the D'backs should try to acquire BJ Upton, what would people think of that? We haven't heard anything about the D'backs considering it, so I'm sure its unlikely.

I think he's just as good as CY in the field and has a higher upside at the plate. He's shown All Star level flashes before, but he's always had consistency and effort issues, more dramatic than Justin's for sure. Perhaps playing with his brother he'd be more motivated and able to stay on task? Though perhaps having them together they'd both slack off, who knows.

It would be a marketing panacea for the Snakes though.
HooverDam is offline   Reply With Quote