Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Other Stuff > Books

Old July 11th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #16
Mulli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
I found the references to ASU to be too forced. On the whole there was as much silliness as the Transformer movies.

I am the best corner in football.
Mulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:23 AM   #17
Pariah
H.S.

Sounds like the 4th book is scheduled for April. Hearne just turned it in to his publisher.

He's also just completed the first chapter of the 5th book.

(updates via facebook)
Pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #18
Brian in Mesa
BIMô

Send a message via MSN to Brian in Mesa Send a message via Yahoo to Brian in Mesa
Quote:
Sounds like the 4th book is scheduled for April. Hearne just turned it in to his publisher.

He's also just completed the first chapter of the 5th book.

(updates via facebook)
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #19
AZZenny

Send a message via AIM to AZZenny
Just about 4 chapters into Hounded and really enjoying the read a lot. Nice humor; makes me chuckle out loud. Thanks for the recommendation.

next day...
OK, finished Hounded and going to download the next one right away. Very entertaining, nicely done. A little light-weight in terms of real lasting power, but an excellent snack.

I think the AZ aspect adds interest for me and not sure how that would work for someone who's never been here -- wonder if it might seem a bit much.

Last edited by AZZenny; August 6th, 2011 at 07:56 AM.
AZZenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #20
AzStevenCal
Registered

Tricked (4th book in series) is out. I plan on reading it as soon as the NFL draft ends this weekend. Anyone else reading it yet?

Steve
AzStevenCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #21
AZZenny

Send a message via AIM to AZZenny
I'll probably start it tomorrow evening.
Old April 26th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #22
D-Dogg
A Whole New World

Send a message via MSN to D-Dogg
I love this series...I'm still finishing up the Song of Ice and Fire series before I get back into finishing Hammered, but this is a great set of books.
D-Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 06:42 AM   #23
jf-08
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
I love this series...I'm still finishing up the Song of Ice and Fire series before I get back into finishing Hammered, but this is a great set of books.
Donald, your reading choices seem to be similar to mine. How does the Druid series stack up vs. GoT series? It is a monsterous and complex? Or more like Hunger Games?

Play hard, get dirty and never make eye-contact with the man you're going to blind-side. - Hardy Brown

RIP Skkorp, KoC, Danny_L, jstadvl, and O.

jf-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 06:52 AM   #24
AzStevenCal
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf-08 View Post
Donald, your reading choices seem to be similar to mine. How does the Druid series stack up vs. GoT series? It is a monsterous and complex? Or more like Hunger Games?
Obviously I'm not Donald but it's nothing like either series. It's a modern fantasy set in the Tempe area (at least initially). I can't really think of any other series that is all that similar but the closest that comes to mind would be the Garrett PI series by Glen Cook or perhaps a lighthearted version of Jim Butcher's Dresden series. If you can do lighthearted and fun, you should like the series.

Steve
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #25
D-Dogg
A Whole New World

Send a message via MSN to D-Dogg
On a reading scale JF, it's in between, closer to hunger games. It is really, really quick to read because the writing is very fast paced and exciting. It leans more towards action than character dev, but Atticus who is the main character is very well developed.

I don't know if you have read the Percy Jackson series or the Red Pyramid series (both kids books by Rick Riodan, but these books are kind of like adult versions of those books. I personally LOVE those books because they are funny, action packed and steeped in mythology. These books are exactly the same, only set for an adult audience and located in freaking Tempe. I highly recommend them.
D-Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #26
jf-08
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
On a reading scale JF, it's in between, closer to hunger games. It is really, really quick to read because the writing is very fast paced and exciting. It leans more towards action than character dev, but Atticus who is the main character is very well developed.

I don't know if you have read the Percy Jackson series or the Red Pyramid series (both kids books by Rick Riodan, but these books are kind of like adult versions of those books. I personally LOVE those books because they are funny, action packed and steeped in mythology. These books are exactly the same, only set for an adult audience and located in freaking Tempe. I highly recommend them.
That's what I meant about GoT or Hunger Games - a quick read with action (HG) or very detailed, intricate plot story telling - GoT.

Thanks guys. I will definitely look into this series after finishing Clash of Kings.

Play hard, get dirty and never make eye-contact with the man you're going to blind-side. - Hardy Brown

RIP Skkorp, KoC, Danny_L, jstadvl, and O.

jf-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #27
Pariah
H.S.

I just started reading Tricked last night. I dunno, I think the tone is getting too flippant. What was a fun read for the first couple of books is becoming a little annoying.

I think the same thing happened to the TV show "Psych." It's like the writers of that show and Kevin Hearne just started leaning on the rapid-fire jokey dialogue without any restraint.

I'm hoping I can get past it to enjoy the book as much as I did the first few.
Pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #28
AzStevenCal
Registered

Quote:
I just started reading Tricked last night. I dunno, I think the tone is getting too flippant. What was a fun read for the first couple of books is becoming a little annoying.

I think the same thing happened to the TV show "Psych." It's like the writers of that show and Kevin Hearne just started leaning on the rapid-fire jokey dialogue without any restraint.

I felt like this while reading book 3 although I did still end up enjoying it quite a bit. I'm surprised to hear you say it about Psych though. I have mentioned something along this line about Psych several times during it's run starting as early as the 2nd season. IMO, it happens to that show every season but so far they always managed to find their way back. I'm really struggling with this season (I have a couple of unwatched episodes) but I keep reminding myself that they've always bounced back in the past.

Steve
Old April 28th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #29
Brian in Mesa
BIMô

Send a message via MSN to Brian in Mesa Send a message via Yahoo to Brian in Mesa
Going to read it next.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2.
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:37 PM   #30
AzStevenCal
Registered

Quote:

I just finished reading it and I thought it was much more like the 1st or 2nd book. I enjoyed the humor, it seemed appropriate for the story and not forced like I felt it was in Hammered. Still a very entertaining series IMO.

Steve