Enjoy an Ads-Free ASFN - lighter and faster too! Become an ASFN-Contributor and help support the site.
Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old February 21st, 2006, 04:34 PM   #1
HeavyB3
Unregistered User

Will Witherspoon likely free agent

They interviewed Will Witherspoon on the Afternoon Blitz today on Sirius and he said there was little in the way of contract negociations with the Panthers. He said that he is excited to test the free agency waters...

If Carolina does not resign him, the Cardinals should go after him hard. Dansby on one side, Witherspoon on the other.. would make for a very strong linebacker core.
Enjoy an Ads-Free ASFN - lighter and faster too! Become an ASFN-Contributor and help support the site.
Old February 21st, 2006, 04:36 PM   #2
kerouac9
Super Scout

OLB is a low priority--both in free agency and the draft. A backup WLB would be nice on the second day, but there's no reason to throw money at this guy. We already have a very good linebacker corps that's two-deep at every position.

Thanks, DesertDawg
kerouac9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 04:39 PM   #3
HeavyB3
Unregistered User

I'm not happy with the wlb... Darling is good, but is getting older and Huff, talks a lot of crap and then misses the tackle. Blackstock could be really really good, but he's still rough around the edges. I don't think he's going to be overly expensive and we'll have a ton of cap room.
Old February 21st, 2006, 04:47 PM   #4
kerouac9
Super Scout

Fine, but Witherspoon is going to be signed in the first 10-15 days of free agency, when the prices are at their highest. He may end up being someone's #1 priority. The Cardinals should be thinking of WLB as their highest priority when they had the 8th ranked defense in the NFL last year. Having Berry back will make the WLB spot look that much better, trust me.

If the Cards take care of LG, OT, DT, FS, MLB, & RB (not necessiarily in that order), and Will Witherspoon is still looking for a job, maybe we should bring him in for a visit. But as long as Reggie Wells still has a starting job, there are greater concerns.

Thanks, DesertDawg
Old February 21st, 2006, 06:27 PM   #5
sundevil04
AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy

Go

id like to see us take a run at him and thats from someone that's normally very conservative when it comes for wishing to spend cap money, i wouldnt throw the bank at him but for the right price he would make a lot of sense.

I agree we need to take care of other needs first but if we can cut shipp and sign bennett we shouldn't lose a dime of cap room, if we restructure and extend l.davis' deal we can save a few more mil on top of the 20 we'd still have available after the shipp>bennett move. i wouldnt want bennett to be the feature back but to target l.white in rd1 also wouldn't cost a dime of the cap room allotted for fa (it's draft money). which leaves 22-23 mil for ol, dt and fs needs. A fs like hope and a dt like clancey may cost 7-8 mil being generous, leaving 14-15 mil. with ol being the only need. witherspoon may take 6 of that (just a guess) leaving 9 mil to fix the ol (and we wouldnt need all of it)

we'd have

a nice thunder/lightning combo of bennett/white with a youngster like jj to learn from

a revamped ol

a front four of berry/fa/dockett/okeffor
lb's of dansby/hayes/witherspoon
db's of hope/wilson/rolle/green-macklin

as long as we dont go break the bank on 1 player like edge we can do it
________
Colorado marijuana dispensary

Last edited by sundevil04; May 3rd, 2011 at 11:19 PM.
sundevil04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 07:13 PM   #6
spanky1

What the heck is this fascination with Bennett. FOGETTSBOUTIT.
spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:18 PM   #7
sundevil04

Go

the facination is that we cut shipp and sign bennett and may not use any cap space at all MAYBE a half mil. I dont want to feature the guy but he's an upgrade from shipp at NO cost, with the potential to be something, if hes injury prone...again can him.

cutting shipp saves 1-1.5 mil, bennett has never played for more than 1.5-2/yr and that was a contract he signed as a 1st rd pick. he'll sign this offseason as 27 y/o damaged goods..CHEAP!
________
Lovely Wendie99

Last edited by sundevil04; May 3rd, 2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:04 AM   #8
spanky1

We don't need an injury prone, fumbleitis RB who can't block and who has marginal receiving skills whether he is cheap or not.

If we wanted him, we could have had him last year before we even drafted Arrington.

The time to take these types of players is over.
spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:28 AM   #9
seesred

Bennett isn't coming, shouldn't be coming and wont be asked. Witherspoon will be an afterthought as far as the cards go. Linebacker is one of our strengths. IMO we will look to draft a MLB to protrect against Hayes not recovering. Hayes if healthy gives us a solid starting three. That being said for the right price anything is possable.

GBR
seesred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:47 PM   #10
kerouac9
Super Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesred
Bennett isn't coming, shouldn't be coming and wont be asked. Witherspoon will be an afterthought as far as the cards go. Linebacker is one of our strengths. IMO we will look to draft a MLB to protrect against Hayes not recovering. Hayes if healthy gives us a solid starting three. That being said for the right price anything is possable.

GBR
I was with you right up to the bolded section. Denny and Rod were trying to replace or have solid backups for Hayes last season, and they'll probably look into free agency again to get someone. Hayes has done nothing to show that he's solid, but the evidence that the regime has doubts he may be is pretty strong.

Thanks, DesertDawg
Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:51 PM   #11
Redsz
We do this together

We have one awesome LB in Dansby. One solid LB in Darling. And one average LB in Huff.

I wouldn't mind an upgrade.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:56 PM   #12
BigDavis75
Making a Comeback

Witherspoon would be a very nice player ot have, but it is not as big of a need as power runner or O-Line, or even dt at that. I am still highly critical of Huff, and Witherspoon is probably the best FA LB (for his value) but I would rather see Bentley than Witherspoon here.
BigDavis75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:09 PM   #13
Crazy Canuck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevil04
id like to see us take a run at him and thats from someone that's normally very conservative when it comes for wishing to spend cap money, i wouldnt throw the bank at him but for the right price he would make a lot of sense.

I agree we need to take care of other needs first but if we can cut shipp and sign bennett we shouldn't lose a dime of cap room, if we restructure and extend l.davis' deal we can save a few more mil on top of the 20 we'd still have available after the shipp>bennett move. i wouldnt want bennett to be the feature back but to target l.white in rd1 also wouldn't cost a dime of the cap room allotted for fa (it's draft money). which leaves 22-23 mil for ol, dt and fs needs. A fs like hope and a dt like clancey may cost 7-8 mil being generous, leaving 14-15 mil. with ol being the only need. witherspoon may take 6 of that (just a guess) leaving 9 mil to fix the ol (and we wouldnt need all of it)

we'd have

a nice thunder/lightning combo of bennett/white with a youngster like jj to learn from

a revamped ol

a front four of berry/fa/dockett/okeffor
lb's of dansby/hayes/witherspoon
db's of hope/wilson/rolle/green-macklin

as long as we dont go break the bank on 1 player like edge we can do it
Interesting math, but when you subtract Warner's contract (and I believe one other signing) - Offers upcoming to our restricted free agents, the pool for draftees... and the contingency fund... I doubt it's anywhere near the figures your playing with to meet all of our needs.

P.S... Every year some posters on this board overestimate the "cash" actually available for Free agents.
Crazy Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:26 PM   #14
sundevil04

Go

i think thats a very realistic offseason im not saying revamp the ol with big names but maybe sign fabin he moves to rt and ross moves to lg. the only fa we'd sign are clancey, hope and witherspoon really. Bennetts contract would be offset by cutting shipp.

im guessing...
shipp>bennett= .5mil cap room spent
clancey= 1.5-2mil
hope=3-4mil
witherspoon=5mil
fabini=3-4mil
total spent 14 mil (all guesses of course)
plus the rookie pool minus guy cut to make room for rookies
________
SHIP SALE

Last edited by sundevil04; May 3rd, 2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 03:15 PM   #15
CardinalChris
Big Man Himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac9
I was with you right up to the bolded section. Denny and Rod were trying to replace or have solid backups for Hayes last season, and they'll probably look into free agency again to get someone. Hayes has done nothing to show that he's solid, but the evidence that the regime has doubts he may be is pretty strong.
Huh? He was a stud in college, played decently on the outside, then before he was dubbed the starter in the middle he got hurt. Before that Graves and Green let the starting MLB walk in FA and the backup moved outside to make room for Hayes. He got hurt, but what about the team's reaction to Hayes has been negative. In fact I think him playing outside shows that they WANTED himi on the field, s they were even willing to play him outside while the very popular and steady McKinnon finished his contract.

Now depth is a HUGE problem, but I think the only doubt anybody has about Hayes is how healthy can he stay, not can he play.

Tags
cap room, gerald hayes, ray thompson, ronald mckinnon