Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old May 13th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #1
john h

Will there be a full NFL season?

Now that this lockout has proceeded into the courts the chances of no NFL season is really out there. There could also be a short season. In any event at this point we are unlikely to see the quality of NFL football we have been accustomed to. Would you still want an NFL football season if it were only 10 games? The owners seem to me to be geared up to go all the way with this. I do not think the players can hold it all together come August. Many of these guys are not rich and have to much to lose. What about the drafted rookies? How happy are they going to be about not getting that big payday when they sign. The players will suffer if the owners suffer in the long run.

This is all so dumb as to be unbelievable. If I were a judge or God for a day I would kick them all out of court and advise play ball if you want or not. We got some real problems like the national debt and unemployment to deal with. Stop wasting our time.

It will soon be time for the NBA to go through the same ritual will it not. These players make even more money than the NFL players but I am sure they deserve more more more more me me me me.

How about the Laker player who just about decapitated one of his opponents. He will have to miss 5 games to start next season. That will only cost him about one million dollars. Chicken scratch to him. His fellow players are coming to his defense. Anyone here remember Rudy Tomjonovich? One of his opponents hit him in the face with a full roundhouse blow and broke nearly every bone in his face. I do not think he ever played again and he was a decent player. Never did hear what his punishment was.

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #2
slanidrac16

If as fans we accept ANYTHING less than a full complete season, we should have our heads examined.

We have already been cheated out of our off season. Next will be training camps, then exhibition and then finally the regular season.

What I think will happen is training camps won't open on time and at best may open around the 3rd -4th week of August....if then. Then there will have to be a week or two of free agency movement, two weeks of camp, two exhibition games ( and don't be shocked if these were "free" to the season ticket holders), and then finally a season schedule that would have to be modified.

All because these goofballs couldn't settle their matters without involving the court system.

I never thought these words would ever come out of my mouth, but the NFL is starting to lose me. I don't want my team to win a title with an asterick.......(* strike shorten season). I, for one, will notpay for or accept anything less than an entire complete 16 game schedule and full playoff format.
Old May 15th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #3
ARZCardinals
Registered

Stop this nonsense....The MLB had BIG issues...everyone on sports radio talked about not returning....derrr after a few months....they all come back.

NFL will not suffer any loss other than a temp. minor setback.

NFL ran with scrubs years ago...the fans returned...

wake up - the NFL owns the fans - they can shut it down for the season and they won't lose a dime come a year from now.
ARZCardinals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #4
LoyaltyisaCurse
MEH...

i have a feeling we'll be watching a 12 game season...

When I play rock, paper, scissors, I keep a glass of water in my hand and when my opponent throws down I throw the water in his face and say "Water". Beats all three, scissors can't cut-it, paper dissolves and the rock sinks. Plus it usually surprises the hell out of them.
LoyaltyisaCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #5
Red Dawn
Go Big Red!

With the condition of the economy, the players and/or owners would be stupid if they do not settle in time to have a full season. IMO, unlike in past labor disagreements, the NFL will take a huge hit that will take time to recover from if they cant settle their squabbling over millions of dollars when many fans are struggling with the job market, gas prices, feeding their family, and other problems.

The NFL does not have a headlock on all of its fans. I never dreamed I would quit being a rabid baseball fan but I did years ago. The strike year when the 1994 post season and world series was cancelled was big in that decision, and it was not helped with the juicing scandals.

I liken it to on-line gaming such as WOW. I've played them and they can be a pretty addictive time-sink. For whatever reason I lost interest and quit playing. I fill my time now with other interests that I enjoy just as much if not more.

I love the Cards, but a strike will piss me off.
RIP #40
Red Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #6
Billy Bob
Cardinals Fan

I am a fan of the Cardinals and even if there is no season I will still be, to what degree I just dont know.
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #7
Dr. Jones
Has No Time For Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyaltyisaCurse View Post
i have a feeling we'll be watching a 12 game season...
I am thinking 14. We shall see.

No urgency from either side right now. If no deal by August 15th.... then the season will have to be shortened.

Thats only 3 months away.

Dr. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 08:06 AM   #8
Jersey Girl
Stand down

Send a message via Yahoo to Jersey Girl
Sadly, I think we are going to have a shortened season. Initially, I didn't think it would happen, but we're well into May with no end in sight.

Rest in peace, Jenn.
Rest in peace, Bill. Slainte!
Rest in peace, Duckjake.
Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #9
ARZCardinals
Registered

shortened season ...they'll give 2-3 weeks for some sort of training camp.
ARZCardinals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #10
cardpa
December 17,2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dawn View Post
With the condition of the economy, the players and/or owners would be stupid if they do not settle in time to have a full season. IMO, unlike in past labor disagreements, the NFL will take a huge hit that will take time to recover from if they cant settle their squabbling over millions of dollars when many fans are struggling with the job market, gas prices, feeding their family, and other problems.

The NFL does not have a headlock on all of its fans. I never dreamed I would quit being a rabid baseball fan but I did years ago. The strike year when the 1994 post season and world series was cancelled was big in that decision, and it was not helped with the juicing scandals.

I liken it to on-line gaming such as WOW. I've played them and they can be a pretty addictive time-sink. For whatever reason I lost interest and quit playing. I fill my time now with other interests that I enjoy just as much if not more.

Like Red Dawn I was once a crazy baseball fan and they lost me with the strikes. I have not watched a complete game or an entire WS since then.
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #11
cheesebeef

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...ug=ap-nfllabor

crap.

my vote is a big fat NO. This thing drags wayyyyyyyy into summer and we're gonna be screwed next season. This FO has enough problems figuring stuff out when they have an entire off-season. give 'em a week or two of condensed off-season and we're gonna be terrible.

Mulli is smarter than the Cheese!
cheesebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #12
slanidrac16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dawn View Post

I'm with you. It's a huge mistake on the NFL's part to assume the fans will return in full.
I lived for baseball until the strike. Now I will watch apart of a game on occasions. I did watch the playoffs and world series when the Sox won it all. However now I use baseball as a whore to get to football. And if there is no football, trust me, many of us will find something else to spend our money on.
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #13
SoCal Cardfan
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARZCardinals View Post
Stop this nonsense....The MLB had BIG issues...everyone on sports radio talked about not returning....derrr after a few months....they all come back.

NFL will not suffer any loss other than a temp. minor setback.

NFL ran with scrubs years ago...the fans returned...

wake up - the NFL owns the fans - they can shut it down for the season and they won't lose a dime come a year from now.

Speak for yourself, I never went back to baseball after the last stoppage.
SoCal Cardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #14
freebyrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
Now that this lockout has proceeded into the courts the chances of no NFL season is really out there. There could also be a short season. In any event at this point we are unlikely to see the quality of NFL football we have been accustomed to. Would you still want an NFL football season if it were only 10 games? The owners seem to me to be geared up to go all the way with this. I do not think the players can hold it all together come August. Many of these guys are not rich and have to much to lose. What about the drafted rookies? How happy are they going to be about not getting that big payday when they sign. The players will suffer if the owners suffer in the long run.

This is all so dumb as to be unbelievable. If I were a judge or God for a day I would kick them all out of court and advise play ball if you want or not. We got some real problems like the national debt and unemployment to deal with. Stop wasting our time.

It will soon be time for the NBA to go through the same ritual will it not. These players make even more money than the NFL players but I am sure they deserve more more more more me me me me.

How about the Laker player who just about decapitated one of his opponents. He will have to miss 5 games to start next season. That will only cost him about one million dollars. Chicken scratch to him. His fellow players are coming to his defense. Anyone here remember Rudy Tomjonovich? One of his opponents hit him in the face with a full roundhouse blow and broke nearly every bone in his face. I do not think he ever played again and he was a decent player. Never did hear what his punishment was.
heck i want some scab football like last time, that was some funny stuff right there
Old May 17th, 2011, 05:36 AM   #15
RugbyMuffin
Night Hawk Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebeef View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...ug=ap-nfllabor

crap.

my vote is a big fat NO. This thing drags wayyyyyyyy into summer and we're gonna be screwed next season. This FO has enough problems figuring stuff out when they have an entire off-season. give 'em a week or two of condensed off-season and we're gonna be terrible.
+1.

There is no way there is going to be a season. The players know it as well. These team workouts are a show for the courts, IMO, and both side know there will be no football next year.

2014 Current Roster: Click Here
Cardinals Instagram: Click Here
RugbyMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote