Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old October 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #1
Mitch
Crawled Through 5 FB Fields

With always an eye to the future...as Cardinals' GM I am considering the following moves:

1. Re-signing QB Kurt Warner to a two year $10M deal, with $5M up front.

Rationale: although Warner briefly contemplated retirement feeling as if his high throw imperiled Anquan Boldin...now that Boldin is relatively fine and Warner is the straw that's stirring a 29 pt. per game drink, I get this one done.

2. Re-signing QB Brian St. Pierre to a 4 year $14M deal which includes incentives to the tune of $2M yearly bonuses in the third a fourth year if St. Pierre becomes the starter.

Rationale: St. Pierre is the better fit for the Cardinals' offense than Matt Leinart. St. Pierre has the stronger arm and he's far more mobile, which would make it more difficult for opponents to play strict man-to-man coverage, seeing as the middle may be left wide open for scrambles.

3. Trading QB Matt Leinart for value...as in a high draft pick or a need player or two.

Rationale: Leinart is due a $15M roster bonus the year after next for playing in over 20% of the snaps his first year. There is a market out there for Lienart, whom some think will wind up being a good NFL starter...but there's no way, the way things have gone in his tenure here that the Bidwills will pony up a cool $15M in two years to keep a player that did not seure a starting job in year three of his contract. So, get value for him and move on.

4. Releasing RB Edgerrin James after this season.

Rationale: We NEED to re-sign Anquan Boldin, and while James has been the consummate warrior, his contract is too high. If he wants to take a pay cut, great. If not, he has to be let go.

5. Re-sign Anquan Boldin to a three year $24M contract, with $10M up front.

Rationale: Q means too much to this organization to let him go. Even though Breaston and Doucet are keepers, we need to keep Fitz, Q, Stevie and Early togethere for the next three years, to form what may be the most prodigious WR tandem in the NFL, and take it from there.

6. Release C Al Johnson. He played well last year, but did not warrant such a lucrative salary and cap hit.

Rationale: Lyle Sendlein has been solid in the middle, and is on board for two more years. We need Johnson's cap space. Again, if Johnson wants to take a paycut that's reasonable and cap friendly, fine. Otherewise, he's got to be released.

7. Offer DE Antonio Smith a 3 year $10M deal. If he takes it, great, if he doesn't, say bye.

Rationale: Smith is a good player, but he plays in spurts, and is not as consistent as we need. Calais Campbell figures to be a better and more productive player.

8. Re-sign OLB Clark Haggans to a two year $5M deal.

Rationale: He's still active and good, and it may be time to part ways with Chike Okeafor.

9. Get OLB Chike Okeafor to take a Bertrand Berry type paycut or let him go.

Rationale: Chike was supposed to be unstoppable in this defene and he's been pedestrian at best, depsite being at full strength after a year on the sidelines.

10. Trade WLB Karlos Dansby before this year's trading deadline.

Rationale: First of all, there's no way based on Dansby's lackluster play that he commands the kind of future money he wants. Secondly, Monte Beisel played well last year at WLB when Dansby was out. Thirdly, Ali Highsmith is the heir apparent. Get value for Dansby now...otherwise he walks at the end of the year with no compensation.

11. Offer CB Eric Green a three year $8M deal with incentives to remain in Arizona as a starter or nickel back. if he takes it fine, if not let him go.

Rationale: the Cardinals need depth at CB and Green has upside, even if he's the 3rd CB next year. However, if he wants to go elsewhere let him. DRC is going to start next year, regardless.

12. Keep the stauts quo on DT Darnell Dockett and SS Adrian Wilson.

Rationale: they are both signed for next year anyway. Dockett hasn't played well enough to warrant a restructuring of his deal...which has him signed through 2011...and Wilson, while he's the straw that stirs the defense's drink is injury prone, and, if he proves otherwise the rest of this year and next, we can f-tag him if necessary.

Last edited by Mitch; October 7th, 2008 at 04:01 PM.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #2
joeshmo
Kangol Hat Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
2. Re-signing QB Brian St. Pierre to a 4 year $14M deal which includes incentives to the tune of $2M yearly bonuses in the third a fourth year if St. Pierre becomes the starter.
You can sign him to a much cheaper contract then that. He doesnt even make 80% of that on the open market without a doubt.

1 Mill per year max would easily get it done for a guy who will not be hottly sought after in the free agent market. throw in the 5 Mill bonuses if starting for more thne 10 games in year 3 and 4 if you want, but 1 mill base salary would get this done without a problem.

Last edited by joeshmo; October 7th, 2008 at 03:58 PM.
joeshmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #3
joeshmo
Kangol Hat Aficionado

Dansby was voted defensive captian. No way the cards get away with trading away the players deemed to be their captian. Will do more damage then good to the players psychy and relationships with coaching staff and upper management.
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #4
joeshmo
Kangol Hat Aficionado

Completely agree with 4,6,7,11.

Might be to early for 1,2,3,8,9,10
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #5
SoCal Cardfan
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmo View Post
Dansby was voted defensive captian. No way the cards get away with trading away the players deemed to be their captian. Will do more damage then good to the players psychy and relationships with coaching staff and upper management.

The "C" on his jersey means squat when he is doing next to nothing on the field.

5 tackles a game aint gonna cut it for the type of money he wants.
SoCal Cardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #6
cheesebeef

Quote:

holy good god. This would go down as the most worst decision/waste of money the Cardinals have ever made. I can't see any justification whatsoever for doing this (or any other) kind of deal.

Quote:
10. Trade WLB Karlos Dansby before this year's trading deadline.

Rationale: First of all, there's no way based on Dansby's lackluster play that he commands the kind of future money he wants.
a) it's still early in the season and we did see some very encouraging signs of life out Dansby last week and b) if he doesn't have an outstanding season, he's not going to have negotiating power and we might be able to get him at a reasonable contract.

trading him now is basically selling low. why in the world would you want to do that?

Quote:
Secondly, Monte Beisel played well last year at WLB when Dansby was out.

no he didn't. the above is a complete falsehood IMO. He made no plays and hit guys 8 yards down field after he was pushed around like he always is.

Quote:
Thirdly, Ali Highsmith is the heir apparent. Get value for Dansby now...otherwise he walks at the end of the year with no compensation.
Highsmith has proven nothing and the Cards can always slap the tag on and take it off if it seems like there are no takers for trade. Doing this NOW hurts us right now, doesn't see if he gets back to form he's had the over-whelming majority of his career and once again, let's one of our most talented players walk right out the door just as they're hitting their prime.

Quote:
11. Offer CB Eric Green a three year $8M deal with incentives to remain in Arizona as a starter or nickel back. if he takes it fine, if not let him go.

Rationale: the Cardinals need depth at CB and Green has upside, even if he's the 3rd CB next year. However, if he wants to go elsewhere let him. DRC is going to start next year, regardless.
Green is what he is. He's got no upside at this point in his career. This team can do better than Green at that amount of money.

Mulli is smarter than the Cheese!
cheesebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #7
Mitch
Crawled Through 5 FB Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmo View Post
You can sign him to a much cheaper contract then that. He doesnt even make 80% of that on the open market without a doubt.

1 Mill per year max would easily get it done for a guy who will not be hottly sought after in the free agent market. throw in the 5 Mill bonuses if starting for more thne 10 games in year 3 and 4 if you want, but 1 mill base salary would get this done without a problem.
I disagree. St. Pierre is on other teams' radar. With the need for two good QBs at an all-time imperative, St. Pierre will get some mult-million dollar offers. Get him signed now.

As for Dansby...he's not playing like a captain. The distinction means little. What means everything is his $9M cap hit...and he's not playing well enough to warrant even half of it.

I still think he should be played on the edge...and have all along. As I predicted on another post, the team that gets him next will play him where he belongs. The Cardinals' defensive coaches are clueless.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #8
joeshmo
Kangol Hat Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Cardfan View Post
The "C" on his jersey means squat when he is doing next to nothing on the field.

5 tackles a game aint gonna cut it for the type of money he wants.
The players didnt vote for him for no reason. They didnt vote for him because of stats. They voted for him because they wanted him to be their captian.

It is also over 7 tackles a game. More tackles then Hayes. More tackles then any other player on the team.
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #9
cheesebeef

and with the way Matt's looked over two years, with injury concerns and losing his job in pre-season, I'm not sure who you think is going to actually pony up a high draft or a player or TWO.

I think your Pierre, Matt and Dansby GM plays are really out there. As far as everything else, i could go along with most.

Old October 7th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #10
cheesebeef

Quote:
I disagree. St. Pierre is on other teams' radar. With the need for two good QBs at an all-time imperative, St. Pierre will get some mult-million dollar offers. Get him signed now.
what are you possibly basing this on? He's on other team's radar because he looked okay against guys who probably can't even make CFL teams? He'll get some multi-million dollar offers? I just don't see how anyone could make such statements about a guy who's not only never seen action in a NFL football game, but has never even been a #2 somewhere.

Old October 7th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #11
TheCardFan
Things have changed.

Quote:
With always an eye to the future...as Cardinals' GM I am considering the following moves:
Your fired with cause.

Last edited by TheCardFan; October 7th, 2008 at 04:18 PM.
TheCardFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #12
abomb

I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #13
Denny Green Fan
Registered

Thanks Mitch. I enjoy reading your posts. Who would you like the Cards to get in next years draft and free agency? Do you think the Cards will keep paying Rolle if he continues to struggle?

Last edited by Denny Green Fan; October 7th, 2008 at 04:20 PM.
Denny Green Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #14
joeshmo
Kangol Hat Aficionado

Quote:
Name one other QB who has got that kind of money without starting a single game in the NFL. There isnt a one of them. The only buzz around this guy is the one you keep trying to make. I would bet all of my ASFN bucks on him not getting a multimillion dollar deal from any team in the league. In fact I would bet them all that he only gets a veteran minimum deal from any team.

Quote:
As for Dansby...he's not playing like a captain. The distinction means little. What means everything is his $9M cap hit...and he's not playing well enough to warrant even half of it.
The guy leads the team in tackles. His 9 Mill is gauranteed so its a moot point.

Quote:
I still think he should be played on the edge...and have all along. As I predicted on another post, the team that gets him next will play him where he belongs. The Cardinals' defensive coaches are clueless.
He had his best season a pro bowl caliber season at his current position last year. So I am not so sure how you can call the coaches so clueless.

Last edited by joeshmo; October 7th, 2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #15
joeshmo
Kangol Hat Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebeef View Post
what are you possibly basing this on? He's on other team's radar because he looked okay against guys who probably can't even make CFL teams? He'll get some multi-million dollar offers? I just don't see how anyone could make such statements about a guy who's not only never seen action in a NFL football game, but has never even been a #2 somewhere.
Never has a QB gone from #3 QB where ever he went, to a multi million dollar contract the next season.