Some Good things
We played terrible yesterday. The Raiders played worse. I think it is worth noting the good things we did even though our bad things out number them.
1. We won. That tops it all.
2. Cowling having a 103 yard kickoff return after having a 98 yd punt return called back last week.
3. Fitz finally got a ball thrown in his bread basket for a TD. It was down and low and probably the only place it could have been thrown so he could catch it. Of course it was a bullet. In this case it had to be.
4. Beanie returned and looked good. I really liked that play where he jumped over the potential tackler who was going in low. Beanie makes tacklers pay when they come at him head on.
5. Our punter. I would think he could be an all pro if he continues with his great kicking. He got us out of some deep holes.
6. Our kicker. He has not missed a kick or extra point all year. I think. He split the goals post on a 48 yard-er.
7. Fitzgerald. Did not catch many passes but if you watched closely he continually blocks down-field and is downright ferocious on fighting with defenders and with his blocking. I think he was fighting the last man who could have caught Cowling on the kickoff return. He does not get the credit he deserves even when he is not making great catches. He continually has two men on him taking away defenders from other receivers. He is a tough receiver and a very good blocker. Seems to always be around blocking for receivers.
8. Anderson threaded a ball through defenders to hit Fitz who was almost on his knees for an important TD.
9. On several stands our defense stood tall. The Raiders had it first and goal on the one and could not score.
10. Anderson may not be accurate but no one can ever say he is not tough. He takes a beating every game but continually gets up to fight again. The players respect that.
11. Lastly, God who must have intervened when one of the best kickers in the NFL missed a very short field goal after hitting a 56 yard one. What were the odds on that?
The announcers had it right. He had previously missed wide right. On this one, those misses were in his head and he adjusted to make the kick go left. It did and it went to far left. Accident or divine intervention? Did any of our defenders on that kick get even close? To be honest I was so upset I walked out of the room on the kick thinking I had seen the worst game ever and we lost. I heard a lot of screaming and walked back in the TV room just in time to see all the Cardinals running off the field in joy. From hell to heaven in seconds.
12. We are due to play a good game soon.
13. Darren McFadden has a second consecutive 100 yd+ game. I am a big McFadden fan and was glad to see Darren doing well. Still a 4.4 runner at around 230 lbs. He is one of the good guys in the NFL and gives back to his home state of Arkansas. His full back at Arkansas ran for 156 yds yesterday. At Arkansas he was largely a blocking back as they also had Felix Jones. Some of these blocking backs in college turn out to be good pro running backs. I think Ronnie Brown was more of a blocker than a runner?
Last edited by john h; September 27th, 2010 at 07:52 AM.