Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old April 16th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #1
kerouac9
Doooonnnntttttt caaaaaarrrreee

OT: Gruden's QB Camp with RG3

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7760128

Four minutes of video and they never for a second actually talk about football. Topics covered:

- Heisman announcement
- RG3's socks
- "How about Washington?"
- The #1 overall pick

Considering that RGIII is a guy who's coming out of a gimmick offense and has some real question marks about how he'll transition to the pro game, ESPN should be ashamed of themselves.

Remember last year how Gruden went after Cam Newton about being able to call out a play in the huddle? This is a complete stroke job next to that.

ESPN has lost all credibility as a journalistic enterprise. Jon Gruden is a clown.

Thanks, DesertDawg
kerouac9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #2
AsUpRoDiGy
Magnanimous

Redskins will be 4-12 with RGIII as the starting QB

AsUpRoDiGy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #3
juza76
Registered

Cam newton was impressive last season.RGIII will be even better.and better then Luck.
juza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Holian
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac9 View Post

Four minutes of video and they never for a second actually talk about football. Topics covered:

- Heisman announcement
- RG3's socks
- The #1 overall pick

Considering that RGIII is a guy who's coming out of a gimmick offense and has some real question marks about how he'll transition to the pro game, ESPN should be ashamed of themselves.

Remember last year how Gruden went after Cam Newton about being able to call out a play in the huddle? This is a complete stroke job next to that.

ESPN has lost all credibility as a journalistic enterprise. Jon Gruden is a clown.
I think alot of people are really eating their words right now in regards to Cam Newton. Nolan Nawrocki of Pro Football Weekly even suggested that Newton couldn't be trusted because he always smirked when doing interviews.

RGIII is a super smart, articulate guy who is in many ways the anti-Cam Newton at least in the eyes of the media. Newton has alot of qualities that makes him easy not to like.

I made a statement last year suggesting that Cam Newton gets ripped apart for the same things Andrew Luck gets praised for. If Newton dives over the top in the BCS Championship when Auburn already has the game in hand, he is described as selfish, but if Andrew Luck does the same thing he is praised as being super competitive.
Holian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Russ Smith
The Original Whizzinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holian View Post
I think alot of people are really eating their words right now in regards to Cam Newton. Nolan Nawrocki of Pro Football Weekly even suggested that Newton couldn't be trusted because he always smirked when doing interviews.

RGIII is a super smart, articulate guy who is in many ways the anti-Cam Newton at least in the eyes of the media. Newton has alot of qualities that makes him easy not to like.

I made a statement last year suggesting that Cam Newton gets ripped apart for the same things Andrew Luck gets praised for. If Newton dives over the top in the BCS Championship when Auburn already has the game in hand, he is described as selfish, but if Andrew Luck does the same thing he is praised as being super competitive.
And who can forget Oliver Luck asking Miss State for 200K to sign his son?

Wait, that never happened?

Let's be real the reason people questioned Cam is that his dad was openly trying to sell him to the highest bidder so nobody believes they didn't get paid.

Add in him getting booted from Florida for cheating and people rightfully wondered. It carried over to on the field because of the offense he ran at Auburn.

Turned out he's MUCH better but that doesn't mean people were wrong to wonder about him.
ďYour expectations always exceed outside expectations. I feel like you just canít stop working, canít stop getting better, because Iíll be a failure in my eyes before Iím a failure in someone elseís eyes.Ē -- Arron Afflalo
Russ Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Holian
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Smith View Post
And who can forget Oliver Luck asking Miss State for 200K to sign his son?

Wait, that never happened?

Let's be real the reason people questioned Cam is that his dad was openly trying to sell him to the highest bidder so nobody believes they didn't get paid.

Add in him getting booted from Florida for cheating and people rightfully wondered. It carried over to on the field because of the offense he ran at Auburn.

Turned out he's MUCH better but that doesn't mean people were wrong to wonder about him.
I agree that Cam has his issues. What I was trying to get at is that there were alot of peope who really piled on just because that was the thing to do.

The thing that always bothered me were the comments about Newton not having enough upstairs to handle the qb position in the NFL. He couldn't read defenses, etc.. RGIII runs a very similiar gimmick offense and yet he seems to get a pass.
Holian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #7
52brandon
Registered

Quote:
I agree that Cam has his issues. What I was trying to get at is that there were alot of peope who really piled on just because that was the thing to do.

The thing that always bothered me were the comments about Newton not having enough upstairs to handle the qb position in the NFL. He couldn't read defenses, etc.. RGIII runs a very similiar gimmick offense and yet he seems to get a pass.
lol, yeah, he get's a pass because he's been in zero trouble off the field... I like Cam, and think his "troubles" were overblown. He had a great rookie year and should only get better
52brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Russ Smith
The Original Whizzinator

Quote:

Because Griffin was a great student, in fact he was going to Stanford except they had this kid named Andrew Luck so he picked Baylor instead.

Newton had to steal a laptop and cheat at Florida to try and stay eligible.

Newton had a terrific year but there were legit reasons scouts questioned him.
ďYour expectations always exceed outside expectations. I feel like you just canít stop working, canít stop getting better, because Iíll be a failure in my eyes before Iím a failure in someone elseís eyes.Ē -- Arron Afflalo
Russ Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #9
TJ
W.W.R.G.D.

Send a message via Skype™ to TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Smith View Post
Agree. Cam had some major red flags coming out of college and people were fair in questioning his character and football knowledge.

As for RGIII, his success in the NFL is predicated on the situation. I'm not sure he can be successful under Shanahan and the Redskins. He could be if given a year (or even half the season) to observe. Instead, he is going to be thrown to the wolves with mediocre talent on the offensive side of the ball. Unfortunately, the FO and the fans are going to want nothing less than RGIII behind center Week 1. They cannot take another day of Beck and Grossman playing.

RGIII needs to work on his pocket awareness and reading defenses. I'm not quite sure Washington provides him with the best opportunity to learn these skills on the fly.

IMO, the only QB in this draft class capable of having a modicum of success starting Week 1 is Andrew Luck.

Last edited by TJ; April 16th, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #10
AzStevenCal
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac9 View Post

- Heisman announcement
- RG3's socks
- The #1 overall pick

I'm not sure why this is Gruden's fault. He did a much longer program than this with RGIII and Griffin came out looking great IMO. For some reason, ESPN decided to make available an edited 4 minute section but I clearly remember watching about a half hour of this stuff with Gruden and RGIII. In fact, I'm pretty sure someone linked it in a thread on this site a few weeks back.

Steve
AzStevenCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #11
Monty
2010 Cardinals Draft Guru

Already a thread on this subject. This one has the full 24 minute video.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/...mp-177656.html

Last edited by Monty; April 16th, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #12
AzStevenCal
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Yeah, that's the one I watched. He shows much better in this one than he does in the highly edited version that K9 linked.

Steve
AzStevenCal is offline   Reply With Quote