Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old March 16th, 2004, 05:08 AM   #1
az jam

Thumbs up

Manning will still be number One

IMO the Chargers will still pick Manning with the number one pick.
Manning and Thomlinson are the foundation that the Chargers will build around. They can pick up a good wr on round two as this years class of wrs is one of the best ever. They can get the other pieces needed to have a playoff team in the draft and free agency over the next couple of years. Getting rid of Boston frees up money and gets rid of a major "people" problem. The Chargers are in a rebuilding mold and having a franchise qb and rb are the key pieces to start.
Marty S. is no longer calling the shots in San Diego and most likely not be there after this season. Additionally, many think that the Cards will trade up to number one to get Fitz. Won't happened. Denny will sit at three and either get Fitz or Mike Williams.

az jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 05:20 AM   #2
CardNots

I agree.
There should be an "Arizona Cardinal principal". A never ending unexplainable phenomenon of impossible scenarios and bumbling performances resulting in a sensation not unlike being kicked in the nuts several times a year.( Quote Rivercard )
CardNots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 05:31 AM   #3
NMCardfan

That's what I'm sayin', my brother.
NMCardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 05:42 AM   #4
seesred

I agree we sit at number three unless Manning falls then we trade value.

GBR
seesred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 05:44 AM   #5
JeffGollin

They no longer have David Boston (and got spit for him).

This leaves them with as big a roster need for a dominant receiver as does the Cardinals. But that doesn't mean they'll either take Fitz, Mike Williams or, for that matter, a QB.

I think they'll trade down.

Why? Because suddenly there's a lot of buzz about the Chargers really wanting to draft Gallery. I think it's all subtrefuge. Just the mention of Gallery's name as a possible top pick will throw blind panic into the hearts of teams like the Giants.

IMNSHO - If they keep the pick, I think they'll draft a receiver. But I really think they'll do everything they can to trade down.
Old March 16th, 2004, 05:49 AM   #6
Garthshort

Win-Win Situation

At #3 the Cardinals are in a very good situation. Let's assume they want a WR with their 1st pick and have ranked the WR's as follows:
1. Fitz
2. Mike W.
3. Roy W.

If Fitz and Mike W. go 1-2 there will be at least two teams (Giants and Browns) who will look to trade up in order to get Gallery and are probably willing to give up a 3(Giants) or a 2(Browns). By taking the 3 they are assured of getting Williams and picking at #7 they might get him. What would everyone do?
Garthshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 06:05 AM   #7
ajcardfan
I see you.

Re: Win-Win Situation

Quote:
Originally posted by Garthshort
At #3 the Cardinals are in a very good situation. Let's assume they want a WR with their 1st pick and have ranked the WR's as follows:
1. Fitz
2. Mike W.
3. Roy W.

If Fitz and Mike W. go 1-2 there will be at least two teams (Giants and Browns) who will look to trade up in order to get Gallery and are probably willing to give up a 3(Giants) or a 2(Browns). By taking the 3 they are assured of getting Williams and picking at #7 they might get him. What would everyone do?
If I had to take either deal, I'd take the second rounder and pick at #7.
We live in a world which is full of misery and ignorance, and the plain duty of each and all of us is to try to make the little corner he can influence somewhat less miserable and somewhat less ignorant than it was before he entered it.

T.H. Huxley
ajcardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 07:33 AM   #8
Red Air Force
DILLIGAFF

Re: Re: Win-Win Situation

Quote:
Originally posted by ajcardfan
If I had to take either deal, I'd take the second rounder and pick at #7.
I'd take the Giants 3rd, and THEN take the Browns 1st next year and 2nd this year for them to take Manning.

Yes, its spelled

W-H-I-S-E-N-H-U-N-T
Red Air Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 07:52 AM   #9
spanky1

I just posted an analysis as to why I didn't think Boston leaving San Diego would steer them to a
spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #10
spanky1

Quote:
Originally posted by spanky1
I just posted an analysis as to why I didn't think Boston leaving San Diego would steer them to a
Somehow I hit the wrong button.......oops!

What I wanted to say was that I posted an analysis about why I didn't think SD will go the WR route in the draft over on another thread......Poll: WR's....it was meant for this thread....FWIW
Old March 16th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #11
Rats
Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffGollin
They no longer have David Boston (and got spit for him).

This leaves them with as big a roster need for a dominant receiver as does the Cardinals. But that doesn't mean they'll either take Fitz, Mike Williams or, for that matter, a QB.

I think they'll trade down.

Why? Because suddenly there's a lot of buzz about the Chargers really wanting to draft Gallery. I think it's all subtrefuge. Just the mention of Gallery's name as a possible top pick will throw blind panic into the hearts of teams like the Giants.

IMNSHO - If they keep the pick, I think they'll draft a receiver. But I really think they'll do everything they can to trade down.
The Chargers would be a good candidate to trade down with the Browns and take Couch(if he would rework his contract for the chance to start) and Northcutt and a pick. This would give Marty a seasoned QB and a reciever. With Lt , Couch and Northcutt all good young players. And Couch with a running game might not be to bad.
Old March 16th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #12
spanky1

Quote:
Originally posted by Rats
The Chargers would be a good candidate to trade down with the Browns and take Couch(if he would rework his contract for the chance to start) and Northcutt and a pick. This would give Marty a seasoned QB and a reciever. With Lt , Couch and Northcutt all good young players. And Couch with a running game might not be to bad.
I all my draft and trade down mascinations (sp?), I never once thought of this scenario.......shame on me as it makes ALL THE SENSE IN THE WORLD! Fills alot of positions of need with no risk and still gets them a #7 pick which they could use on their defensive line......brilliant, and this is the first time I 've read such a plausible option for the Bolts
Old March 16th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #13
vikesfan
Banned

Folks I think NFL people are realizing now after years that:

1. The odds of a round 1 QB busting is huge.

2. You no longer need that franchise QB to win a SB.

3. Even if the round 1 doesn't bust he likely will be with another team when he becomes good. Since QBs develop much later than other players.

4. I think SD did not want Manning (Leaf, Brees) Marty is in a win now or lose his job position.

5. CLE just dumped their frachise QB you think they want to try again? I kind of doubt unless they are gluttons for punishment.

6. I think Al Davis is the anti-trend guy he might take Manning cause other people are saying don't take QBs.
vikesfan is offline   Reply With Quote