Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old January 7th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #1
Shogun
Never doubt Mitch. EVER.

Knowshon Moreno = Clinton Portis

After watching Moreno this season, I've finally come to a solid comparison. The way he runs hard between the tackles, pass protects, and his intensity remind me a lot of former Miami great Clinton Portis. Both had similar builds (Moreno 5-10, 207; Portis 5-10.5, 211) and had similar similar questions about them. Here is an old scouting report on Portis on draft day:
Quote:
Patient runner with great vision and a sense of awareness. Sees the field, waits for blocks to develop then follows them. Displays top footwork in a small area; sidesteps opponents, has some swivel to his runs, showing elusiveness in a small area. Leaves opponents grasping for air and weaves his way through the traffic, finding the small spaces in the defense and getting through them. Looks to set up his blocks either at the line of scrimmage or down the field. Adjusts off the initial hit, breaks arm tackles and quick regaining his balance and getting back to running form. Solid receiver out of the backfield that catches the ball cleanly and runs well after the reception. Does not translate his stop watch speed onto the football field; can not bounce it to the outside, run to daylight nor does he show a burst. Best between the tackles but may not have the size to take an every down pounding. Very productive and a runner who will produce if put in a rotational system that shuffles its backs in and out of the lineup. Late Second Round.
Link

Portis slid to #51, disproved the scouting report and came on like gangbusters, instantly becoming one of the best in the league and for a few years second only to LT. I think the talk of Moreno being extremely overrated is too premature. You can see that the kid has "it". I think that he is the best running back in the draft and if (yes, if) he's available at 21 with the lack of quality runners in this draft I think that we should think long about him. I fully endorse this guy as our first round pick.

Shogun approves this message.

Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Shzm13
Registered

Send a message via AIM to Shzm13
Id say Knowshon is a little more athletic, and Portis is definitely more of a power runner.

All that can change if Knowshon adds about 20lbs of muscle.. Particularly in his legs.

But he does have great balance and agility, similar to Portis.
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Arizona's Finest
Your My Favorite Mistake

I actually agree with you but have been hesitant to speak up because of all the negative talk of "Know-sho".

You don't start as a Redshirt Frosh at a school like UGA and put up silly numbers unless there is something to your style. He didn't have the best year this year but I think he is more cut out for the next level anyway.

I like your comparison and I have seen him make plays (there was a divein the ASU game especially) that only special players make.

I won't be crying if we draft him and he seems bound to fall.
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #4
82CardsGrad
7 x 70

So hard to tell... at the surface there does appear to be similarities...
I honestly can't recall how I felt about Portis when he came out. But I just can't help but feel that Moreno is a bust waiting to happen...
82CardsGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #5
Shogun
Never doubt Mitch. EVER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shzm13 View Post
Id say Knowshon is a little more athletic, and Portis is definitely more of a power runner.

All that can change if Knowshon adds about 20lbs of muscle.. Particularly in his legs.

But he does have great balance and agility, similar to Portis.
Portis put on 20lbs of muscle (mostly lower body) and transformed his running style to be more physical when he was traded to Washington because of the demands of the Gibbs running system. Portis was just as nimble as Moreno while at Miami and his Denver years.

Old January 7th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #6
TheCardFan
Things have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
Portis put on 20lbs of muscle (mostly lower body) and transformed his running style to be more physical when he was traded to Washington because of the demands of the Gibbs running system. Portis was just as nimble as Moreno while at Miami and his Denver years.
Portis now weighs 221 (NFL.com). I liked Portis much more than I do Moreno, coming out of college.

I think Moreno is more like Cadillac Williams but if we draft him, I hope your right.

My favorite back this year is Greene from Iowa.

Not that it's the ultimate comparison but Iowa and Georgia both played Mich State and South Carolina. The stats are not close.

South Carolina

KM 20 / 79 yards 1 TD
SG 29 / 121 yards 3 TD

Michigan State

KM 23 / 62 yards
SG 30 / 157 yards
TheCardFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #7
CardLogic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCardFan View Post
My favorite back this year is Greene from Iowa.
Me too! Thing I like about Greene is his tenacity. Even when defensed well, he just keeps bringing it every play!

"...fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
CardLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #8
Shogun
Never doubt Mitch. EVER.

Shonn Greene screams a smoother Rudi Johnson to me, He's a workhorse guy with really good vision, but his hands are really spotty and not quite polished in other areas. I'm leaning towards putting him as the second best back in the draft. I will need to see how fast he'll run. I won't front, his age bothers me. I'm not a fan of picking a RB who would be almost 30 at the end of his rookie deal.

At this point, he's a second rounder with the chance to sneak into the first with good workouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardLogic View Post
Me too! Thing I like about Greene is his tenacity. Even when defensed well, he just keeps bringing it every play!
Knowshon has that same characteristic...
Quote:
Portis now weighs 221 (NFL.com).
Exactly, he wasn't nearly as big when he came in the league, illustrating my point that Moreno could gain weight if desired.

Last edited by Shogun; January 7th, 2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old January 7th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #9
TheCardFan
Things have changed.

I don't expect Greene to be very fast...4.5? His vision, instincts, and forward running style make up for it in college...not sure how it translates to the NFL.

On Portis...you were saying he added 20#s of muscle...he was drafted at 211 and weighs 221 now.

Quote:
Shonn Greene screams a smoother Rudi Johnson to me, He's a workhorse guy with really good vision, but his hands are really spotty and not quite polished in other areas. I'm leaning towards putting him as the second best back in the draft. I will need to see how fast he'll run. I won't front, his age bothers me. I'm not a fan of picking a RB who would be almost 30 at the end of his rookie deal.

At this point, he's a second rounder with the chance to sneak into the first with good workouts.

Knowshon has that same characteristic...
Exactly, he wasn't nearly as big when he came in the league, illustrating my point that Moreno could gain weight if desired.
Old January 7th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #10
Shogun
Never doubt Mitch. EVER.

Quote:
On Portis...you were saying he added 20#s of muscle...he was drafted at 211 and weighs 221 now.
Quote:
Dave Curtis, of the New York Times, reports Washington Redskins RB Clinton Portis said he has added 20 pounds of muscle in his chest and shoulders. Portis, who weighed about 200 pounds all last season, is listed at 212 pounds on the team's 2005 roster.
Link
Quote:
"Washington head strength coach John Dunn has finally begun to make some headway with Portis' apparent disdain for weightlifting. During the 2005 off-season, Portis committed wholeheartedly to Dunn, hitting the squat rack and the bench with zeal and packing on more than 20 pounds of muscle--up to 225 pounds from 204 last season."
The scouting report I linked to said 200, but I figured he was bigger than that. I must have gotten the wrong weight.

Last edited by Shogun; January 7th, 2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old January 7th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #11
TheCardFan
Things have changed.

Quote:
I'm not a fan of picking a RB who would be almost 30 at the end of his rookie deal.
Not trying to change your opinion...

but Shonn Greene is only two years older than Knowshon.

Knowshon July 1987
Greene Aug 1985
Old January 7th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #12
Shogun
Never doubt Mitch. EVER.

Quote:
Not trying to change your opinion...

but Shonn Greene is only two years older than Knowshon.

Knowshon July 1987
Greene Aug 1985
And age is a lot when it comes to running backs. Knowshon in four years - 26, Green in four years - 28. Two years before the precipice of 30, where all running backs begin to decline dramatically.

Old January 7th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #13
General Chaos
Gronko = Man Beast

If Moreno runs well at the combine, I don't see the Cards passing on him. From everything I've read it seems like they want a speed back after seeing how well Chris Johnson has done this year.
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #14
82CardsGrad
7 x 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Chaos View Post
If Moreno runs well at the combine, I don't see the Cards passing on him. From everything I've read it seems like they want a speed back after seeing how well Chris Johnson has done this year.

Moreno is not a "speed" back....
82CardsGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #15
Buckybird
The Fitz farewell tour 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82CardsGrad View Post
Moreno is not a "speed" back....
not at all. Moreno reminds me of a young Edge more than Portis.