Enjoy an Ads-Free ASFN - lighter and faster too! Become an ASFN-Contributor and help support the site.
Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old October 7th, 2005, 01:44 PM   #1
Mitch
Badger & Hulk

Josh McCown: An Enigma?

If Josh McCown didn't make a name for himself when he scrambled right, threw on the run and hit Nathan Poole in the corner of the end zone to knock the Vikings out of the playoffs in ultra dramatic fashion...he certainly made a name for himself Sunday night as he brushed off a "here we go again" 14-0 deficit to lead the Cardinals to 31 unanswered points in a 31-14 Mexican fiesta on national TV.

To those of you who quickly attribute McCown's performance to playing against a poor defense...you really aren't giving McCown enough credit here. The fact that McCown had only played one half of football in three games prior to this nationally televised game...the fact that McCown had to dig the Cardinals out of their usual hole...the fact that some of his receivers were dropping perfectly thrown passes in some key situations...the fact that he tucked the ball in and ran for key yardage when he needed to...the fact that he did it all and persevered like a resilient prize fighter underneath the big lights...all suggest that McCown's performance was more than noteworthy, and was even special, under the circumstances.

How many of you have watched the tape of McCown addressing the team in the locker room after the game? Here was a young man bursting out of his shell and speaking right from the heart...yeah, he had reason to be excited...but, at least HE GOT EXCITED.

The funny thing is...the coaches and players don't appear to take Josh all too seriously...if you noticed the players' reaction at the end of Josh's speech...one would have expected the players to erupt...yet, they did not.

When the tape showed McCown telling Dennis Green on the sidelines how he scripted the TD to Fitz right before the half...Green was walking in the opposite direction and although Green was smiling somewhat, he kept walking like he really didn't want to share that moment with Josh.

When the tape showed Josh getting excited with Kurt Warner on the sidelines, telling Warner that he was stepping up because he knew Warner would step up...Warner wouldn't even look Josh in the eyes...although...Warner was cordial. I'll give him that.

But one thing the tape showed very clearly...was that when Josh was in the huddle he said all the right things and tried his gut level best to fire up the offense...and the line in particular. Josh McCown was clearly in command of that huddle.

This begs the question...why doesn't Josh act like this all the time? Why, for example, did he have the deer in the headlights look the week before against Seattle? Why does he look uninspired and lackadaisical sometimes?

The answers to these questions may be the reason why the coaches and players don't seem to take Josh all too seriously.

Josh's humility is hard to read...especially for today's self-promoting athletes. When Josh said that he was glad the team signed Kurt Warner so he could learn from one of the best, was he being disingenuous? I don't really believe he was. I think Josh IS humble...perhaps more humble than he should be.

After his excellent performance, Josh conceded that he is just trying to keep the Cardinals in the playoff hunt until Warner gets back. Disingenuous? Likely not. Josh believes in team...and he believes that he must do his part whatever his part may be. Josh McCown is a throwback of epic proportions.

The reality is that Josh McCown has major league talent. He's got an excellent arm and even better legs. He's tough and resilient...as the Panthers' coaches have been attesting to this week...that's no lie.

The issues remain: Does Josh have the temperament to be a quality starter in the NFL from week to week? Does Josh's humility help or hurt his cause in the long run? And...when will his teammates start looking him in the eye and start taking him seriously?

Backing up his fiery locker room speech in Mexico City with another first-rate performance this weekend may be just the solution that Josh needs. I hope for the Cardinals' and this fine young man's sake...he does.
Enjoy an Ads-Free ASFN - lighter and faster too! Become an ASFN-Contributor and help support the site.

Last edited by Mitch; October 7th, 2005 at 01:56 PM.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #2
imaCafan
Next stop, Hall of Fame!

And I believe he WILL back up last weeks impressive performance with yet another good game IF (see how big that if is) the OL improves from last weeks game.......that's the key, once again.

imaCafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #3
Shane
I'm Coming for YOU!

Nice write up Walter!
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 03:01 PM   #4
DeAnna
He Brought Sexy Back

He's still an enigma to me.

Gambo and Ash had Anquan on their show the other day and even they were laughing 'cuz Josh is so religious but he was yelling at the defense "step on their throats." I thought that was funny as heck!
Old October 7th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #5
TRW
Registered

Send a message via Yahoo to TRW
Nice post. It appears that Josh is a nice young man, from all accounts he's a good Christian young man as well. Your article lists many of the incidents in the Mexico City game that have stood out to me as well.

I think that the history of Josh with the Cardinals, with Denny Green in particular, leads to the reactions you note. Despite the rhetoric of the Josh backers and the "haters" as one poster calls the other side, it is apparent that Josh is just not the sharpest tool in the shed. For the flashes of brilliance he shows on occasion, there are many more instances of him failing to see what's going on down the field. That is the agony/ecstacy of Josh McCown as starting QB. In one game you see all of the promise and all of the disaster this kid can unleash on the football field.

I see the lack of respect from his coach and teamates not so much because of Josh's "humility" as you put it. I see it as a result of his PERFORMANCE in the games and probably in practice sessions. There is a reason the coach brought in Kurt Warner other than he's being "mean" to little ole Josh as some have accused. There is a reason that he hasn't won the starting job and kept it here in Arizona. Uneven performances on a consistent basis creates lack of confidence from those you are supposed to be leading and the coaches who have to rely on your skills to win ballgames. Possessing all of the phsical tools does not always equate to being able to use them in conjunction with the mental aspect of the game effectively, a la Jeff George.

Until Josh can show consistency and true leadership under fire, his career is pretty much going to be what it has been to this point, sitting on the bench whatching.

Enjoyed your breakdown and observations.
Old October 7th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #6
CardinalChris
Big Man Himself

I read this in another post. McCown was wired for the game. he seemed to pout and make excuses when things went bad, but was not confident and upbeat. Great QBs are just that. Borderline cocky. Josh doesn't seem to have that. And he seemed to be like a little kid when things were going well, and this is when the much debate Warner disinterest took place.

Did everyone see him make excuses for the high passes? I bet in film the REASON is Josh whips the ball "all arm" too much instead of using good mechanics. But Josh went on and on about how the ball just got away to Kurt.

It is easy to command a huddle when things are going good. Maybe it is a lack of this quality in adversity that hold Josh back. Again, I am not SAYING Josh is a "fair weather leader", but like Mitch pointed out, you get that impression from the game on Sunday.
Old October 7th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #7
40yearfan
DEFENSE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalChris

Again, I am not SAYING Josh is a "fair weather leader", but like Mitch pointed out, you get that impression from the game on Sunday.
Fair weather leader? After going down by 14 points in the first quarter?

He personally drug that team back to it's feet. Did you see him give up? How many times have you seen this team roll over after having something like that happen to them?

He sparked the offense and when they started playing like they wanted to win, it inspired the defense even more.

We finally get a blow out game that we win and I am hearing as many complaints as if we had lost the game. Who cares who the win was against? It counts in the standings.
Old October 7th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #8
CardinalMike
Chickens can't clap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yearfan

He personally drug that team back to it's feet. Did you see him give up? How many times have you seen this team roll over after having something like that happen to them.
What I saw on 6 days to sunday with the Quan was McCown with his head bowed looking defeated until Quan shouted at the team to sack up and play some football.

Cardinal Mike!!
CardinalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #9
vince56
Registered

I don't think Josh McCown needs an enigma. I mean... does he even have colon problems? I haven't heard anything about a blockage that would require an enigma.

Damn, some people want him hurt so bad they'd wish he go through a painful procedure like that. The nerve!
vince56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #10
Redheart
Stack 'em up!

Quote:

He personally drug that team back to it's feet. Did you see him give up? How many times have you seen this team roll over after having something like that happen to them?

He sparked the offense and when they started playing like they wanted to win, it inspired the defense even more.

We finally get a blow out game that we win and I am hearing as many complaints as if we had lost the game. Who cares who the win was against? It counts in the standings.
Josh had the rest of the team to help a little, lets not sell the receivers short. Shipp helped alot in that come back too. Oh, let's not forget the Defense or our BEST fantasy player named Rackers...

That being said, Josh played like a warrior.

He also missed a couple of long TD opportunities that points to his not looking for those kill-shots. He played short to mid-range. Kurt loves the long-ball and he looks for it...and then sees everything else.

Put Kurt's head on Josh's body and you would have your franchise QB.
Old October 7th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #11
Duckjake
Registered

The trouble with guys wearing recording devices is that you don't know if it's real or bad acting.
Founding member #2 of the n'er do well club.
Duckjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #12
Redsz
We do this together

Quote:

Josh is a fair weather leader except when the team comes from behind to beat the Vikings...

Or when the team comes from behind to meat Miami to give us our first road in years...

Or when the team comes from behind to beat the 9er's in Mexico...

Last edited by Redsz; October 7th, 2005 at 05:05 PM.
Redsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #13
Red Dawn
Go Big Red!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheart
Put Kurt's head on Josh's body and you would have your franchise QB.
Would he fumble twice as much?

I want Josh to succeed because it is best for the team. The real irony here is that if Josh becomes the successful starter I want him to be it is now going to cost major dinero to keep him here.
RIP #40
Red Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 06:04 PM   #14
justAndy
Jolly Nihilist

humble christian lad?
that's all nice if you want a babysitter or chaperone at an 8th grade dance.
I want Lemmy, Iggy, Hitler, Rumsfeld characters for MY NFL QB.
justAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 06:48 PM   #15
40yearfan
DEFENSE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince56
I don't think Josh McCown needs an enigma. I mean... does he even have colon problems? I haven't heard anything about a blockage that would require an enigma.

Damn, some people want him hurt so bad they'd wish he go through a painful procedure like that. The nerve!

Tags
jake plummer, jeff george, josh mccown, julian peterson, kurt warner, nathan poole, neil lomax, win football games

You may also search for: