Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old April 18th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #1
RugbyMuffin
DS Baby!

I was talking to my friend who is a Giants fan and.....

He said that Clancy was used more as a UT than a NT.

I was explaining the Cardinals defense and how we needed a good NT to stuff up the middle.

Which cause him to ask the question "Why did you pick up Clancy then ?" "William Joseph was the Giants "NT" and Clancy was used more like we use Dockett."

That really got me angry. Yes, it is just two guys talking and neither of us are proffessional sports analysts.

But truth be told our Offensive line is not improved, our DL is still lacking a monster NT, we have a 104 year old FS, and even Dennis Green is nervous about Gerald Hayes at MLB.

Furthermore, the smart thing to do is go for a QB with the 10th pick but that will not help solve ANY of the problems above.

If you take a step back this team will be had pressed to go 8-8 next year.

Let's hope they prove me wrong.

Peace

2014 Current Roster: Click Here
Cardinals Instagram: Click Here
RugbyMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #2
blindseyed
So many activities

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyMuffin

That really got me angry. Yes, it is just two guys talking and neither of us are proffessional sports analysts.
Neither are all the actual 'Professional Anlaysts...
blindseyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #3
Redsz
We do this together

Sorry, but your friend has no idea what he is talking about in regards to Clancy. And we will never have a 'monster' NT on our roster.

All of our NT's are just over 300lbs and 6'ft tall. They are 'bowling balls' who play low to the ground and are hard to move around.

Last edited by Redsz; April 18th, 2006 at 05:50 PM.
Redsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #4
joeshmo
Kangol Hat Aficionado

I dont know who your firend is or how big of a fan he is of the Giants but he is completely wrong on how the giants used Clancy. He was without a doubt their NT. He was Pitts NT in the 3-4 when Hampton was down to injury. The Giants signed him to be their run stuffing NT after that season, and Tim Lewis his coach at Pitt who made him a NT there, then brought him in just for that reason when Lewis left for the Giants the same year.

Both his ESPN and NFL profile call him a NT as well.

And we did upgrade the OL. We grabed the best OL(Brown) from the 8th best run blocking team in the league(houston)

Last edited by joeshmo; April 18th, 2006 at 06:18 PM.
joeshmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #5
BigDavis75
Making a Comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmo
I dont know who your firend is or how big of a fan he is of the Giants but he is completely wrong on how the giants used Clancy. He was without a doubt their NT. He was Pitts NT in the 3-4 when Hampton was down to injury. The Giants signed him to be their run stuffing NT after that season, and Tim Lewis his coach at Pitt who made him a NT there, then brought him in just for that reason when Lewis left for the Giants the same year.

Both his ESPN and NFL profile call him a NT as well.

And we did upgrade the OL. We grabed the best OL(Brown) from the 8th best run blocking team in the league(houston)
The only year Hampton went down to injury was the 04-05 season and Chris Hoke took over the bulk of the NT work. Also, Tim Lewis was already gone at the time that the Steelers went 15-1, he was let go after the Steelers went 6-10 in 03-04.
BigDavis75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #6
joeshmo
Kangol Hat Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavis75
The only year Hampton went down to injury was the 04-05 season and Chris Hoke took over the bulk of the NT work. Also, Tim Lewis was already gone at the time that the Steelers went 15-1, he was let go after the Steelers went 6-10 in 03-04.
I stand corrected but the point remains the same he was a NT in a 3-4 scheme brought over to the Giants to play NT by a coach who coached him as a NT.

Last edited by joeshmo; April 18th, 2006 at 06:28 PM.
joeshmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #7
BigDavis75
Making a Comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmo
I stand corrected but the point remains the same he was a NT in a 3-4 scheme brought over to the Giants to play NT by a coach who coached him as a NT.
I wasn't arguing you're point, but I agree that guys his size can be very solid at the POA. For example, how big is Booger, 305ish? He is one of the most solidm players at the POA. It isn't that much about size in today's Ds and any way you look at it Clancy is an upgrade.
BigDavis75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #8
CardinalChris
Big Man Himself

Unless some odd thing happened to Joseph, I think he was considered a penetrating DT, not a NT type at all.
Old April 18th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #9
lobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyMuffin
He said that Clancy was used more as a UT than a NT.

I was explaining the Cardinals defense and how we needed a good NT to stuff up the middle.

Which cause him to ask the question "Why did you pick up Clancy then ?" "William Joseph was the Giants "NT" and Clancy was used more like we use Dockett."

But truth be told our Offensive line is not improved, our DL is still lacking a monster NT, we have a 104 year old FS, and even Dennis Green is nervous about Gerald Hayes at MLB.

Furthermore, the smart thing to do is go for a QB with the 10th pick but that will not help solve ANY of the problems above.

If you take a step back this team will be had pressed to go 8-8 next year.

Let's hope they prove me wrong.

Peace

i agree in part with some of the concerns but NOT the draconian approach..OL is improved...but NOT ENOUGH....however we do it we need to improve run defense whether we find a beached whale or look for a short bowling ball type we have to do something...and your third point, griffith is serviceable BUT NOT THE ANSWER....you came up with the same need in order that i have so that is a good thing...the clancey comments of your friend are off base....he will be a big plus for us but we need someone else in the rotation as well...we will know in 10 days or so..
lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #10
kerouac9
Doooonnnntttttt caaaaaarrrreee

It would seem to me that this defense ranked in the Top 10 in the NFL against the run. What we need is better play at the goal line and not give up so many long returns/turnovers this season.

The problem wasn't so much rushing yardage as it was short fields. I think you're overrating the problem with the offensive line. I think we do need more depth at DT, but I don't think that this is a starting personnel problem as much as it is a depth problem.

Thanks, DesertDawg
kerouac9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #11
JeffGollin

our Offensive line is not improved, our DL is still lacking a monster NT,
Suggest you visit the official Cardinal website and (if you have RealAudio or whatever) listen to Dennis Green's interview from Sirius Radio.

Dennis discusses Clancy at length within the context of what he expects from his NT.

Specifically, he (a) values Clancy as a penetrator and (b) believes the role of the NT in his defense is to occupy the C and G and force the offense to choose it's poison - i.e. if they occupy Clancy, our LB is freed up to make the play. Or if they insist on ISO blocking the LB, Clancy gets to make a play 7-yards into the backfield.

Assuming that the 9 top guys (at least on my board) - Bush, Young, Leinart, Cutler, Ferguson, M Williams, Davis, Hawk, Huff - are gone when we pick at #10, I could see us drafting Bunkley (i.e. low risk, big enough, strong enough, penetrates - could give us depth both behind Clancy and Dockett).

It could very well boil down at #10 to Justice, Sims, Bunkley or Trade Down.