Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old April 6th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #1
Russ Smith
The Original Whizzinator

How do they measure vertical jump at combine/pro days?

Looking at Maryland's reported verticals from their pro day got me skeptical about Merriman's 40 inch listed vertical. Little known TE Robert Abiamiri, 247 pounder, put up a 39 inch vertical, unheralded WR Curtis Williams a 42 inch vertical, that's David Thompson numbers FYI.

Why do I get the impression these guys are all folding their knees up when jumping and someone's measuring it that way?
ďYour expectations always exceed outside expectations. I feel like you just canít stop working, canít stop getting better, because Iíll be a failure in my eyes before Iím a failure in someone elseís eyes.Ē -- Arron Afflalo
Russ Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #2
clif
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Smith
Looking at Maryland's reported verticals from their pro day got me skeptical about Merriman's 40 inch listed vertical. Little known TE Robert Abiamiri, 247 pounder, put up a 39 inch vertical, unheralded WR Curtis Williams a 42 inch vertical, that's David Thompson numbers FYI.

Why do I get the impression these guys are all folding their knees up when jumping and someone's measuring it that way?
I thought David Thompson posted a 48 inch vertical
clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #3
TheCardFan
Things have changed.

Quote:

The measurement is at the height of their jump. The player has to jump up and tip with their fingetips the highest horizontal stick and that is the actual height measured. Hard to explain.

TheCardFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #4
ColorWerx
PANTONE 194 C

Send a message via Yahoo to ColorWerx Send a message via Skype™ to ColorWerx
I believe they measure it by having the player jump up and hit a flag on a pole that measures how high they can touch...not the amount of space under their feet.

You're right though...these vertical measurements are getting ridiculous...Michael Jordan's was around 42-43", and some of these bigger guys are close to him. Spud Webb's (when he was MUCH younger), was around 46" or so...

EDIT: TheCardFan beat me to it!
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:13 AM   #5
ColorWerx
PANTONE 194 C

Send a message via Yahoo to ColorWerx Send a message via Skype™ to ColorWerx
Quote:
Originally Posted by clif
I actually though SkyWalker was 44"...
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #6
clif
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCardFan
The measurement is at the height of their jump. The player has to jump up and tip with their fingetips the highest horizontal stick and that is the actual height measured. Hard to explain.

That pic reminds me of basic training..

*shutters*
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #7
Russ Smith
The Original Whizzinator

Quote:
Nope 42, Darrell "Dr Dunkenstein" Griffith had a 48. When I was in highschool I had a picture of Griffith in my locker, he was playing in a HS all star game against a Euro team and some 5'8" Bulgarian guy tried to take a charge on him, he folded his knees up and went right OVER the guys head to dunk! I had that picture for 2 years and then my senior year a friend of the guy I shared my locker with trashed it not knowing it was mine.
ďYour expectations always exceed outside expectations. I feel like you just canít stop working, canít stop getting better, because Iíll be a failure in my eyes before Iím a failure in someone elseís eyes.Ē -- Arron Afflalo
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #8
Russ Smith
The Original Whizzinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTONE194C
I believe they measure it by having the player jump up and hit a flag on a pole that measures how high they can touch...not the amount of space under their feet.

You're right though...these vertical measurements are getting ridiculous...Michael Jordan's was around 42-43", and some of these bigger guys are close to him. Spud Webb's (when he was MUCH younger), was around 46" or so...

EDIT: TheCardFan beat me to it!
I guess I'm just doubting them really doing it I'm sure they do it as you say, reach and touch a spot, then jump and touch a spot, and measure the difference in the 2 touches. But it's just amazing how many guys have 40 + verticals.

If you watch a lot of basketball even now a 40 inch vertical is outstanding and a 42 and you're a "great leaper", so it's just hard for me to believe all these guys are such great leapers.

Maybe they cheat on the first reach so that when they fully extend on the jump the difference between the 2 seems great? In other words if I can standing reach 8 foot 4 I cheat and just reach 8 feet, then my vertical comes out 4 inches higher?
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:26 AM   #9
cards 24-7-365
Registered

The CardFan is right. First the athlete stands flat footed reaching as high as he can. This measurement is recorded (lets call this number "A"). Then the athlete stands flat footed and jumps straight up tapping these plastic slats (each one being 1/2" appart, see the picture of the apparatus in The CardFan post above). This height is then recorded (Lets call this number "B"). Note that the athlete can not take a step when measuring the a "true" vertical.

To get the vertical jump height simply subtract "A" from "B". As an example I can reach 91 inches and my total jimp height is 116 inches making my vertical 25 inches.

There are a couple ways to cheat the test: 1) short arm the standing reach measurement. 2) as soon as the standing reach measrement is recorded stretch out the lats and hip flexors which will increase can increase the length of the reach by a little bit.
cards 24-7-365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #10
Russ Smith
The Original Whizzinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards 24-7-365
There are a couple ways to cheat the test: 1) short arm the standing reach measurement. 2) as soon as the standing reach measrement is recorded stretch out the lats and hip flexors which will increase can increase the length of the reach by a little bit.
Call me a skeptic but I think guys are doing number 1, except they measure reach too so you'd think doing that would short you in that area?

I don't know, I just have a hard time believing there's more great leapers on Maryland's football team than on their basketball team. Merriman is 274 pounds and has a 40 inch vert, that's just sick if true.
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #11
clif
Registered

Quote:
I guess I'm just doubting them really doing it I'm sure they do it as you say, reach and touch a spot, then jump and touch a spot, and measure the difference in the 2 touches. But it's just amazing how many guys have 40 + verticals.

If you watch a lot of basketball even now a 40 inch vertical is outstanding and a 42 and you're a "great leaper", so it's just hard for me to believe all these guys are such great leapers.

Maybe they cheat on the first reach so that when they fully extend on the jump the difference between the 2 seems great? In other words if I can standing reach 8 foot 4 I cheat and just reach 8 feet, then my vertical comes out 4 inches higher?

The problem I have with the measuring system is that if you have a guy with a really long wingspan that really could make a difference.

Edit: cards 24-7-365 beat me too it
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #12
BIGDADDY_REDBIRD
Registered

The height is measured from the tip of your extended arm straight above your head in a standing position. after it's recorded then your allowed to jump from a standing position with the same arm extended. example if the right arm extended in standing position measures 75 inches in height, The right arm extended in jumping position measures 114 inches thus a 39 inch vertical jump. Some test vary. Some are stationary where you cannot move once your feet are placed on the floor .others are given 1 step to approach the jump.
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:39 AM   #13
Russ Smith
The Original Whizzinator

Quote:
The problem I have with the measuring system is that if you have a guy with a really long wingspan that really could make a difference.

Edit: cards 24-7-365 beat me too it
Doesn't work that way though. If I'm 5'11" but have a long reach it'll show when I first reach up to touch.

Who knows maybe guys really can jump out of the gym like that. I can remember as a soph in HS at 5'9" I could standing start touch the rim. I just measured my reach at roughly 7'5" and I'm 2 inches taller now so assuming my reach grew 1 inch I had about a 32 inch vertical at that time. Then I partially tore my patellar tendon and by the time I was a senior I couldn't touch the rim even with a running start.
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #14
joeshmo
Kangol Hat Aficionado

I believe these vert numbers. Football players legs are built for power and explosion, while Basketball players legs are built for endurance.

Last edited by joeshmo; April 6th, 2005 at 09:34 AM.
joeshmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:30 AM   #15
CaptTurbo
Registered

Send a message via AIM to CaptTurbo
Quote:
That pic reminds me of basic training..

*shutters*

I wish those were my instructors.
CaptTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote