Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old April 30th, 2003, 05:51 AM   #1
40yearfan
DEFENSE!!!!

Cards undecided about Robinson

Cards notebook: Cards undecided about Robinson
By Darren Urban, Tribune
The Cardinals are still deciding whether to pursue free-agent receiver Marcus Robinson, who is scheduled to visit Baltimore today.

Even without Robinson, the Cardinals already have 12 receivers on the roster. The Arizona front office and coaches want to make sure Robinson is likely to make the team before committing to a deal in the neighborhood of $1 million to $2 million.

It helps that Robinson is only looking for a one-year contract. If Robinson were to sign, the Cards would like to have him in place by this weekend for minicamp. It will take time for the host of new receivers and new quarterback Jeff Blake to come together.

ďItís an art form to get everything to be natural,Ē offensive coordinator Jerry Sullivan said of the passing game

Old April 30th, 2003, 06:05 AM   #2
AZCB34

What this tells me is Robinson will not be a Cardinal. The team isn't completely sold on the idea of signing him and they will move on. Specualtion on my part obviously but if the REALLY wanted him, they would be in serious contract talks right now.
Old April 30th, 2003, 06:08 AM   #3
Russ Smith
The Original Whizzinator

Quote:
Originally posted by AZCB34
What this tells me is Robinson will not be a Cardinal. The team isn't completely sold on the idea of signing him and they will move on. Specualtion on my part obviously but if the REALLY wanted him, they would be in serious contract talks right now.
Agreed. I think they were interested up to a point, that if the draft didn't go as expected they would sign Robinson. Instead we got 2 guys we like, so we're less interested in signing a guy who would take PT away from the young guys early on.
ďYour expectations always exceed outside expectations. I feel like you just canít stop working, canít stop getting better, because Iíll be a failure in my eyes before Iím a failure in someone elseís eyes.Ē -- Arron Afflalo
Russ Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 06:08 AM   #4
arthurracoon
The Cardinal Smiles

The Cards should just develop their own WR's. Were not ready to win this year, why not allow youngsters to play.
arthurracoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 06:18 AM   #5
AZCB34

Quote:
Originally posted by arthurracoon
The Cards should just develop their own WR's. Were not ready to win this year, why not allow youngsters to play.
To an extent I agree with you. May as well devote all your energy to the players who will be here for the next few years. I would say that a vet WR would really be nice to kind help these guys along from a player perspective. I think Robinson (or another vet) could provide them with valuable info and advice to help them grow.
Old April 30th, 2003, 06:30 AM   #6
spanky
Registered

I have to agree......passing on MR is a strong likelyhood. Bringing in the three UDFA WR's and trading our 7th for Foster sends a strong message that Sullivan thinks he adds little value. It wouldn't kill me not to bring in anyone else.......let's see if we can't focus on a DT (or a vet QB) going forward to June 1st cut day.

Another thread had mentioned that one of the UDFA WR's from Oklahoma (Savage) may have the adaptability to switch to defense and might make a "killer" CB. We could use more talent in this area.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 06:58 AM   #7
Reddog
Registered

Quote:
To an extent I agree with you. May as well devote all your energy to the players who will be here for the next few years. I would say that a vet WR would really be nice to kind help these guys along from a player perspective. I think Robinson (or another vet) could provide them with valuable info and advice to help them grow.
I think a one year deal would just enable him to audition for his next team at the expense of our young guys. I don't know much about him personally, but how much would he invest in the younger guys if he is out of hear next year.
Reddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 07:51 AM   #8
JeffGollin

I disagree. I want him here.

Everyone else - including the guys who were already on our roster before the draft - remain unknown factors so far as being the go-to guy is concerned.

I'd rather see Robinson a Cardinal and our go-to receiver until someone else on our roster takes it away from him.

What's wrong with Marcus, B-John, Boldin, Gilmore and McAddley/or Kasper as our top 5 wideouts?

You've got to figure that at least one of these guys is going to pull a hammy anyway during some part of the season.

Worst comes to worst (or best comes to best) - the other 5 guys outperform Robinson and we have to cut him.

Let all these guys duke it out and the best 5 (or 6) prevail!
Old April 30th, 2003, 08:20 AM   #9
AZCB34

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffGollin
I disagree. I want him here.

Everyone else - including the guys who were already on our roster before the draft - remain unknown factors so far as being the go-to guy is concerned.

I'd rather see Robinson a Cardinal and our go-to receiver until someone else on our roster takes it away from him.

What's wrong with Marcus, B-John, Boldin, Gilmore and McAddley/or Kasper as our top 5 wideouts?

You've got to figure that at least one of these guys is going to pull a hammy anyway during some part of the season.

Worst comes to worst (or best comes to best) - the other 5 guys outperform Robinson and we have to cut him.

Let all these guys duke it out and the best 5 (or 6) prevail!
Don't get me wrong, I want him to be signed too. Even a one year deal cannot hurt in the long run. He is a very good lockerroom guy (Brian Piccolo Award winner) and I think he can help. The problem as I see it now, though, is the Cards have essentially committed alot of training camp roster spots to WRs and I now think it unlikely they will sign him. There is no reason to bring all these guys if you don't think the one's currently drafted/signed aren't going to make the team. I mean the Cards have created a log jam at WR. We keep talking about Gilmore/Kasper/McAddley but they themselves could theoretically get pushed out of a roster spot depending on how camp goes.

Reddog, Robinson is a great lockerroom guy as witnessed by his winning the Piccolo Award...which is an award based on performance, teamwork, team dedication and community involvement. Even on a one year deal, I think it is worth it...although the point that his presence for one year taking away from the development of the young guys, I admit, does have some merit.
Old April 30th, 2003, 08:21 AM   #10
CardAvenger
Screaming At A Wall

Nice post, Jeff. I agree 100%. It would also be nice to have some sort of vet leadership at WR. Who's our oldest player at the position? Kasper? I think we need someone to show these guys the ropes.
Old April 30th, 2003, 09:19 AM   #11
Capital Card
The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid

Quote:
Originally posted by CardAvenger
Nice post, Jeff. I agree 100%. It would also be nice to have some sort of vet leadership at WR. Who's our oldest player at the position? Kasper? I think we need someone to show these guys the ropes.
Sort of like Emmit Smith for our young RB's.

Go Cards!!!
Old April 30th, 2003, 09:34 AM   #12
bratwurst
on double secret probation

What about Muhsin Mohammed? If we had to pick one vet WR to come in, would we rather have him over Marcus Robinson if he gets cut June 1st?

I think Robinson would be better if he is as good in the lockerroom as you guys say he is. Besides, I think we need to jump on whats available now, instead of waiting and running the risk of getting neither.
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:20 AM   #13
Reddog
Registered

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I want him to be signed too. Even a one year deal cannot hurt in the long run. He is a very good lockerroom guy (Brian Piccolo Award winner) and I think he can help. The problem as I see it now, though, is the Cards have essentially committed alot of training camp roster spots to WRs and I now think it unlikely they will sign him. There is no reason to bring all these guys if you don't think the one's currently drafted/signed aren't going to make the team. I mean the Cards have created a log jam at WR. We keep talking about Gilmore/Kasper/McAddley but they themselves could theoretically get pushed out of a roster spot depending on how camp goes.

Reddog, Robinson is a great lockerroom guy as witnessed by his winning the Piccolo Award...which is an award based on performance, teamwork, team dedication and community involvement. Even on a one year deal, I think it is worth it...although the point that his presence for one year taking away from the development of the young guys, I admit, does have some merit.
Based on that he must be a wonderful guy. It doesn't change the fact that he wants a one year deal to relaunch his career. I doubt he or the players around him will fully invest in a relationship knowing he will likely not be here in the future. Jeff, I dont see how given MR's injuries that you can be so confident in his ability to be there as our number 1WR.
Reddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:30 AM   #14
Red Air Force
DILLIGAFF

I really like Robinson, but at this point I would rather wait until June 1st to see if Mushin gets released.

If I had to choose, I would pick Muhammad, but if it comes down to it and neither are available, I'd still be content with what we've got.

Yes, its spelled

W-H-I-S-E-N-H-U-N-T
Red Air Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #15
BuckeyeCardinal
Cantankerous Curmudgeon

Would Be Nice

If he wanted to be here....as he said.....maybe he should have taken our offer......but if "Ifs and Buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a hell of a Christmas".

He's out for the money....can't blame....he doesn't care if he's the #1 or #2 or #3 receiver on a team....just:

SHOW ME DA MONEY
BuckeyeCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote