RIP George

Card currently #4 on rush D

Who woulda thunk it

DogTv
nidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #2
PoolBoy
Jahiisus

me. our rush defense was good last year too.
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Shane
I'm Coming for YOU!

Our rush D always been pretty good. Its the pass D that has let us down.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #4
overseascardfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane H View Post
Our rush D always been pretty good. Its the pass D that has let us down.

Namely DRC. He had the interception to seal the win but he gave up a lot of big plays to a no name WR. He better get it together as he will probably be matched up on Wayne next week.
Old September 20th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #5
TJ
W.W.R.G.D.

Send a message via Skype™ to TJ
We've contained two of the best RBs in the game in consecutive weeks. I'm not concerned about that part of the defense. I just wish our secondary would play more man coverage. We have the personnel to do so, its a matter of execution.
Old September 20th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #6
Pariah
H.S.

I'm actually surprised we're not higher. If not for that one 40 yard scamper by MJD he did literally NOTHING all day.

Next week with be a tough test for us--Indy doesn't have to run to be successful.
Pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #7
moklerman
Warner = Playoffs

Send a message via AIM to moklerman Send a message via Yahoo to moklerman
Considering what SF did to Seattle today, I think the Cardinals defense has held up it's end of the deal so far. The pass rush is still a little weak for my taste but the run defense has been pretty stellar.

It's a bit of a double edged sword with Indy though. If Addai is completely shut down, I don't know that forcing Manning to beat you is a good plan of attack. Can't let them run it but I don't know that a shootout is the way to go either. It's gonna be tough.

At least the team gets to watch Indy on MNF. A short week, traveling west and an unusual playing time might all be little things to work against the Colts.
moklerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 05:24 AM   #8
CaptTurbo
Registered

Send a message via AIM to CaptTurbo
Im shocked we are not #1. Who is?
CaptTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 06:17 AM   #9
Brighteyes
Nothing but blue skies

What's funny to me is reading some of the folks at ESPN and CNNSI -- they think the 49'ers are great because Gore just got 207 yards against Seattle. BUT the Cards aren't good at all -- even though we held Gore to 30 yards. We're not even a good team according to them.

Television by dogs for dogs -- about the issues dogs care about.
Brighteyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 06:52 AM   #10
CaptTurbo
Registered

Send a message via AIM to CaptTurbo
Why is our pass D not better? Is Wilson providing a big + on run D giving a bigger - on pass D than we think? Or is it Rolle?
CaptTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 07:18 AM   #11
Hypothesis
Draft Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
Considering what SF did to Seattle today, I think the Cardinals defense has held up it's end of the deal so far. The pass rush is still a little weak for my taste but the run defense has been pretty stellar.

It's a bit of a double edged sword with Indy though. If Addai is completely shut down, I don't know that forcing Manning to beat you is a good plan of attack. Can't let them run it but I don't know that a shootout is the way to go either. It's gonna be tough.

At least the team gets to watch Indy on MNF. A short week, traveling west and an unusual playing time might all be little things to work against the Colts.
We're second in the NFL in total sacks with 8...only behind the Bengals who have 9. Not too mention there were a few missed sacks we could have had. We also lead the NFL with 6 FF's.

We're getting to the QB, and I believe we also have quite a few TFL. We just need to stay aggressive all game long.
Hypothesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 07:20 AM   #12
DoTheDew
Registered

I'm more impressed that we are #2 in sacks and #1 in forced fumbles. Keep this up and Bill Davis deserves a statue.
DoTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 07:21 AM   #13
jaguarpaw81
Banned

Quote:

Normally, I'd agree, but you gotta look at the situations for each team. I'll take a hot-handed Warner + Fitz, Q and Stevie B at home over Peyton + Wayne, Clark and Hank Baskett coming off a short week any day.
jaguarpaw81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 07:28 AM   #14
Duckjake
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd1974 View Post
Why is our pass D not better? Is Wilson providing a big + on run D giving a bigger - on pass D than we think? Or is it Rolle?
All of the above. Just like last year. Doesn't help that our DB's like to miss tackles either.

But our run D has not allowed a back to gain 70 yards since Peterson woke them up last year. No back has gone over 60 without the Cards letting him get around half of his yards on one run.

The leading rushers for our opponents during that stretch averaged 2.7 ypc.

Of course some of that is attributable to our offense. They scored so much teams had to abandon the run to try to keep up. Only Gore had 20+carries for instance and Morris (SEA),DAWilliams,Westbrook and Drew, had 15 or fewer.
Duckjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 08:59 AM   #15
slanidrac16

Quote:

I knew somebody would respond to this with stats, however, I agree with you on our pass rush. Of the 8 sacks I'm almost willing to bet none came without a blitz.
A good pass rush team can generate pressure with just 4 guys.