Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Arizona Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old August 8th, 2005, 06:18 PM   #1
clif
Registered

Aeneas Williams' hit on Steve Young

Jeez... years later.. I forgot how freakin hard that hit was

It's kind of ironic that his career would end by a cardinal since I heard that he nixed a trade to the cards years earlier.
clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #2
abomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by clif
Jeez... years later.. I forgot how freakin hard that hit was

It's kind of ironic that his career would end by a cardinal since I heard that he nixed a trade to the cards years earlier.
Also the Cards last MNF appearance.

A-Bomb
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #3
RedViper
Registered

I never liked Young and that Cardinal rumor has made me like him even less. The one thing however is it doesn't seem like the timing is right on the Cards rumor. Why the hell would we be trying to pick up Young in 97 when we had Lomax?
RedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #4
AzCards21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedViper
I never liked Young and that Cardinal rumor has made me like him even less. The one thing however is it doesn't seem like the timing is right on the Cards rumor. Why the hell would we be trying to pick up Young in 97 when we had Lomax?
If I remember correctly Lomax was injured and done for. We needed someone to take over.

I do love the hit by Williams though.
AzCards21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #5
RedViper
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzCards21
If I remember correctly Lomax was injured and done for. We needed someone to take over.

I do love the hit by Williams though.
Lomax got hurt midway through the season in 88. The first year in AZ. At the point he went down Cards were in first place in the NFC East.
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #6
clif
Registered

yeah the rumor was in 87 or 88.. I heard that he went to 49er management and told them he didn't want to play for another (tampa being the first) bottom dwelling team.

That really sucks. I would think if a guy thought he was all that.. he would relish the idea to turn it around.
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:48 PM   #7
nathan

I did not know Aeneas was gay.

(You missed an apostrophe)
nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #8
Brian in Mesa
BIMô

Send a message via MSN to Brian in Mesa Send a message via Yahoo to Brian in Mesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm132
Really?
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #9
Alan

Send a message via AIM to Alan
I was a big fan of Steve Young and I never like it when a player gets injured, but...

Yesterday I was in my apartment with my three roommates and two of their parents. All of them are big 49ers fans who make fun of me because I love the Cardinals. Anyway, they were glued to the TV when Young was giving his HOF speech. I kept saying "Remember that corner blitz by Aeneas Williams?" For some reason they didn't like it.
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #10
okcardzona
Registered

I think the Cards last Monday night game was against the cowboys. Christmas edition, Buddy Ryan, Centers jumping over the player.
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #11
40yearfan
DEFENSE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm132
I did not know Aeneas was gay.

I once had a girlfriend that missed a period also.
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #12
RedViper
Registered

Cards-Dallas on MNF where Centers does his hurdle and Fat Basterd abandons his team: Christmas Night 1995.

Cards-SF where Williams sends Young to retirement was 1999.
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:48 PM   #13
Russ Smith
The Original Whizzinator

Quote:
yeah the rumor was in 87 or 88.. I heard that he went to 49er management and told them he didn't want to play for another (tampa being the first) bottom dwelling team.

That really sucks. I would think if a guy thought he was all that.. he would relish the idea to turn it around.
I readily admit to a bias with young he went from a guy who scared the heck out of me as a QB to in my opinion the best QB in NFL history(his peak I realize his total career was not as good as some others but at his peak I don't think anybody was ever that good).

Young's first year in SF was 87 so it makes little sense to me that they were already trying to trade the guy. 87 was arguably Montana's best year of his career (31 td passes nearly 67%) but I know I sure don't recall any rumors that Steve Young was nearly traded to the Cards that year.

88 I can sort of believe it because Young was REALLY good in 87 in limited action (10 td's 0 picks) and would have improved his market value but again I sure don't recall those rumors. The most common rumors I recall were later and all involved trading Joe to make room for Steve which was highly controversial and I don't think has ever been confirmed.

People forget the reason the 49ers picked up Steve Young was that in 86 Montana got hurt and played only half the year. He ruptured a disk in his back in the opener, missed half the year, and then came back and played the rest of the year. That was the year he got crushed by Jim Burt in the playoff blowout against the Giants. The back injury had doctors advising him to retire, the hit by Burt had his wife begging him to retire, so the 49ers saw a chance to get Young and seized it figuring they weren't sure how long Joe would play.

Of course he played 7 years after that.

I do recall some rumors late in Montana's career that included talk he might become a Cardinal, but I sure don't recall any link to Young and us?
Here's a quote from a local article on young, talks about asking to be traded but doesn't name any teams.

- On the perception that he waited patiently behind Montana to become the 49ers' starter after Bill Walsh traded with Tampa Bay to get him in 1987, a year after Montana's back surgery: not exactly. Young said he asked several times to be traded, but "I don't know if I meant it or not," he said.

"As hard as it was in Tampa Bay, in many ways, it was harder to not play, " Young said. "Many times, I said I'd rather be a lawyer than sit here and twiddle my thumbs. I was kind of mad at Bill because he made it sound like Joe was not going to be playing very long.

"As I look back, I appreciated the time, because they were very important years to learn, to really understand the depths to which you have to go to play great quarterback by watching Joe. But at the moment, it was frustrating, it was tough. I didn't know that was the way it was going to end up being."
ďYour expectations always exceed outside expectations. I feel like you just canít stop working, canít stop getting better, because Iíll be a failure in my eyes before Iím a failure in someone elseís eyes.Ē -- Arron Afflalo
Russ Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:06 PM   #14
clif
Registered

I found this piece

Quote:
Walsh 'stole' Young

Ira Miller, Chronicle Staff Writer

Saturday, August 6, 2005

It's a good thing the statute of limitations has expired. Bill Walsh's 1987 decision to pursue a trade for Steve Young to the 49ers was clinched when he arranged for Young, still under contract with Tampa Bay, to work out privately for him in Utah.

Walsh said the other day that the workout "obviously, to this day, is tampering."

Until Walsh saw Young up close, the team most interested in dealing for Young was the-then St. Louis Cardinals, who were to move to Arizona the following year.

The Cardinals had offered a first-round draft pick. Young, put off by the Cardinals' long record of ineptitude, did not want to go there. He got the late Hugh Culverhouse, Tampa Bay's owner, to honor a pledge Culverhouse had made when he signed Young: If it didn't work out, he would allow Young some leeway in working out a deal.

At the time, Joe Montana was just a few months removed from major back surgery and, even though he had come back to finish the 1986 season, there was question about his future. At least that's what Young said Walsh told him. Walsh says now, "I didn't make the trade thinking to replace Joe."

As it turned out, Montana played four more years for the 49ers, his San Francisco career essentially ending after the 1990 season because of an elbow problem. Things might have been much different had Young known what was to come.

"I don't think I was emotionally set up for sitting around," Young said in a recent interview. "If they had said Joe was going to play a year or two, I probably would have hung in there, but if they had said, 'He's going to play four,' I don't know what I would have done. I think I would have looked for a spot to get on the field right away."

Young was at Tampa Bay after playing two seasons in the defunct United States Football League. After his second season with the Bucs, coach Ray Perkins decided to use the first pick in the draft on Vinny Testaverde. Young was on his way out.

The word was that St. Louis would make the deal.

"I really fought hard for it," said Larry Wilson, the Cardinals' general manager at the time. "I thought he would make our team, make us a winning organization."

But Young, having seen one league fold from under him and then playing for a rag-tag organization that was an NFL laughingstock, wanted something better. He pressed Culverhouse to find another team for him. Young was able to get the trade killed; he said the Bucs gave him a week to find another suitor.

"Mr. Culverhouse had told me that he loved me as his quarterback, that he wanted me for life, so when it was apparent that it wasn't going to be for life, and when it looked like there was a trade that was consummated (with the Cardinals), I called (him)," Young said. "I don't know why I thought he'd even listen to me."

Culverhouse did, however.

Then Walsh had held his workout for Young in Utah.

"I just had to see him throw the ball," Walsh said. "I had to stand right next to him and watch him do it. It took four or five throws and I thought, 'We've got something.'

"He was accurate, throws the ball sharply, a super athlete, and there isn't a reason why he can't be successful," Walsh recalled thinking. "They just never used him properly" at Tampa Bay.

So the 49ers went to work on a trade. Their offer eventually was second- and fourth-round draft picks, plus $1 million of owner Eddie DeBartolo's cash. The Buccaneers accepted. Still today, Wilson bemoans the fact that Tampa Bay never even called back to allow the Cardinals a chance to match the 49ers' cash bounty. Not that tightwad owner Bill Bidwill was likely to put cash into the deal, anyway.

Further, the Cardinals' situation was no better than Tampa Bay. In fact, they were such a dysfunctional organization that Gene Stallings, the team's coach at the time, said recently that he knew nothing of the effort to make the trade. "But," Stallings added, "I wasn't always in the loop."

Old August 8th, 2005, 08:26 PM   #15
clif
Registered

Quote:

yeah so it turns out it was before young became a niner...