Enjoy an Ads-Free ASFN - lighter and faster too! Become an ASFN-Contributor and help support the site.
Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Other Stuff > Politics and Religion > Polls

View Poll Results: Will you watch the Olympics in China?
I definitely will 21 50.00%
I probably will 9 21.43%
I probably won't 7 16.67%
I definitely won't 3 7.14%
This poll is stupid 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 11th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #76
Zeno
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcastrocks View Post
baseball is still an olympic sport? Or is this the last year of it?

Ugh you are right, I forgot about that... The US didn't even have a team in the last Olympics because we were elminated by Mexico in our region. I found it strange there was no mention of a regional olympic baseball tournament yet. Now that you mention I remember them planning to eliminate baseball.
Enjoy an Ads-Free ASFN - lighter and faster too! Become an ASFN-Contributor and help support the site.
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #77
Mulli
Banned

In my opinion, the time to protest or express outrage was before they got the Olympics at all.

Sorry if this has been posted.
Mulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #78
Linderbee
Goodbye, Sir. Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulli View Post
In my opinion, the time to protest or express outrage was before they got the Olympics at all.

Sorry if this has been posted.
No, it hadn't. I hadn't heard about it before they got it.
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #79
Mulli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linderbee View Post
No, it hadn't. I hadn't heard about it before they got it.
Boycotting at this point does nothing. China is still a "most favored nation."
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #80
AZZenny

Send a message via AIM to AZZenny
VERY interesting -- for the first time, the IOC has said that although athletes may not make political, religious, ethnic, etc. statements 'in an Olympic venue,' they MAY do so during press conferences, interviews, etc., AFTER their competition is completely over, even if they are in an Olympic facility or setting. THAT is a very big change, and it may just get me to watch, since it seems likely I'll end up making that $50 donation after all.

He also said the games are in a 'crisis' because of the protests, the growing international disapproval of China's behavior, and some problems with readiness.

meanwhile, if Bush goes to the games, he will be the first sitting US president to attend an overseas Olympics, which is actually not the message I'd like my country to send.

Yes the protests should have been held before China got the games -- well, guess what -- they were, and that's why China was granted the games with the 'understanding' they would work to improve their human rights record before 2008.
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #81
Mulli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZZenny View Post
VERY interesting -- for the first time, the IOC has said that although athletes may not make political, religious, ethnic, etc. statements 'in an Olympic venue,' they MAY do so during press conferences, interviews, etc., AFTER their competition is completely over, even if they are in an Olympic facility or setting. THAT is a very big change, and it may just get me to watch, since it seems likely I'll end up making that $50 donation after all.

He also said the games are in a 'crisis' because of the protests, the growing international disapproval of China's behavior, and some problems with readiness.

meanwhile, if Bush goes to the games, he will be the first sitting US president to attend an overseas Olympics, which is actually not the message I'd like my country to send.

Yes the protests should have been held before China got the games -- well, guess what -- they were, and that's why China was granted the games with the 'understanding' they would work to improve their human rights record before 2008.
This is CHINA right? Once they have the Olympics, why would they bother changing a thing?
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #82
dreamcastrocks
Chopped Liver Moderator

Quote:
This is CHINA right? Once they have the Olympics, why would they bother changing a thing?

That's like giving a bum $20 and loaning it to him with the expectation that he will get a job and pay you back. In all likelyhood, he will probably buy some beer and some smokes with that money and hope to never see you again.
dreamcastrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #83
Shane
I'm Coming for YOU!

Quote:

The US president attending the Olympics would be an incredible statement for our athletes which is all that matters.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #84
Mulli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane H View Post
The US president attending the Olympics would be an incredible statement for our athletes which is all that matters.
Meh.
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #85
Shane
I'm Coming for YOU!

Quote:
Meh.
Whether you like Bushy or not having POTUS in the arena cheering you on on a world stage while competing for your country would be pretty damn cool.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #86
Mulli
Banned

Quote:
Whether you like Bushy or not having POTUS in the arena cheering you on on a world stage while competing for your country would be pretty damn cool.
Just being in the Olympics would be awesome enough, but I suppose I see what you are saying.
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #87
dreamcastrocks
Chopped Liver Moderator

Quote:
I hope it can be a sign of good faith if you will that can be used in trade agreements........

I don't know what in the hell they would want from us in trade, as they make everything themselves anyway........
dreamcastrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #88
AZZenny

Send a message via AIM to AZZenny
Well, I agree who would expect China to change a thing -- I was just addressing the timing of the protests. They were protested initially, China told the IOC they'd clean up their act, they didn't, and the protests are back. Seems perfectly fair to me.
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #89
Mulli
Banned

Quote:
Well, I agree who would expect China to change a thing -- I was just addressing the timing of the protests. They were protested initially, China told the IOC they'd clean up their act, they didn't, and the protests are back. Seems perfectly fair to me.
Yeah, I suppose.
Old April 12th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #90
CaptTurbo
Registered

Send a message via AIM to CaptTurbo
I cant think of a bigger waste of time. Bring the Olympics back to what it was in Ancient Greece and Ill watch. 7 or 8 main events all based on war. Skip the nudity would be ok expect for female events.
CaptTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote