Enjoy an Ads-Free ASFN - lighter and faster too! Become an ASFN-Contributor and help support the site.
Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > More Sports > World Sports

Old February 12th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #136
Zeno
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Man, you beat me to the punch! I like these games. Sure, I think we'll be humbled quite a bit, but it's only before we play Barbados or Dominica, whom we should beat out of hand. I think Bradley needs a few wake-up calls, and we either get those wake-up calls, or we somehow get great overnight.
Yeah that'll be a great measuring stick--Poland, Spain, Argentina & England, all teams from the past WC. Spain(9-1-2 in Euro qualifiers) & Argentina probably as good as anyone in the world right now and England at Wembley is awesome.

Hopefully we can find some answers at the outside backs prior to those matches.
Enjoy an Ads-Free ASFN - lighter and faster too! Become an ASFN-Contributor and help support the site.
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #137
gr000000vy
I scored against Derby

Send a message via AIM to gr000000vy Send a message via MSN to gr000000vy Send a message via Yahoo to gr000000vy
I'm hoping the other teams take the game some what seriously because these could be huge for us..

Spain will be getting ready for the Euro 2008 and will want some momentum going in....

England will most likely use the match as a way to highlight Beckham getting his 100th cap...

Playing Argentina would just be great... even there 3rd -4th team would take us to school.....
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #138
coyoteshockeyfan
Fool In The Rain

According to Soccer By Ives, the US will play Argentina at Giants Stadium on June 8th, 4 days after playing Spain (in Spain).
coyoteshockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:19 PM   #139
coyoteshockeyfan
Fool In The Rain

It is also likely the the USMNT will play England at Wembley Stadium sometime this year. That would be a way cool game to watch.

http://ukpress.google.com/article/AL...poar3eohzH3SXg
Old March 16th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #140
gr000000vy
I scored against Derby

Send a message via AIM to gr000000vy Send a message via MSN to gr000000vy Send a message via Yahoo to gr000000vy
Just Gotta love watching the Fulham/Everton match and watching old man McBride out playing Johnson and Dempsey (even though Dempsey only got like 4 min)... also love how Keller out plays Howard... wooo hoooo!!!

Still wish we could use Friedel and McBride at least for qualifying to help these younger kids out....
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #141
Milgod
Registered

McBride is a legend, but Dempsey has been Fulham's best player this year.
Milgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #142
cardfaninfl
Registered

What has been written by Fulham supporters is that EJ played very well, his speed caused problems for Everton all day. His shots were off the mark and is still out of position on some plays, but he seems to have regained his aggresion and shooting confidence.

McBride's value may be much more than his play on the pitch. Bocanegra was vastly improving when playing with Brian. When McBride went down, Carlos' game declined. Now, Johnson is beginning to show signs of potential with a good game and being named to the starting XI.
cardfaninfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #143
gr000000vy
I scored against Derby

i don't understand why people say EJ had a good match.... every time he had space on the outside he slowed down and then tried to do scissor moves like he was ronaldo without the great cross...

dempsey HAS been Fulhams best player all season... i am a huge Dempsey supporter, but you have to wonder why he isn't getting on the pitch with McBride at all....
Old March 17th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #144
Compa
Registered

I didn't think Johnson had a good game, but he was constantly involved. That should be somewhat promising. There have been plenty of games where he has been completely MIA when playing for the US.
Compa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 12:32 AM   #145
Milgod
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr000000vy View Post
i don't understand why people say EJ had a good match.... every time he had space on the outside he slowed down and then tried to do scissor moves like he was ronaldo without the great cross...

dempsey HAS been Fulhams best player all season... i am a huge Dempsey supporter, but you have to wonder why he isn't getting on the pitch with McBride at all....
He will, I think he needs a rest more than anything. He will get back in the team soon enough, hopefully out wide this time.
Milgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #146
English on tour
Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compa View Post
I didn't think Johnson had a good game, but he was constantly involved. That should be somewhat promising. There have been plenty of games where he has been completely MIA when playing for the US.
he looked out of his depth to me - imho!

i am sure it was just that game as i i havent seen them pleay too much in the last few months. I i'm sure he will knock one in the onion bag against Sunderland in two week time now i've siad that too
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #147
Zeno
Ancient

May 28th at Wembley is now official.

Tough stretch for the Nats...

May 28 at England
June 4th at Spain
June 8th home Vs Argentina

Its great to see a tough measuring stick, we'll definitely face the A teams of England and Spain being thats they are hosting...no telling what we'll see from Argentina.

Twellman & Rolfe better not make any of those rosters.
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #148
Stout
Aw, season isn't here yet :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
May 28th at Wembley is now official.

Tough stretch for the Nats...

May 28 at England
June 4th at Spain
June 8th home Vs Argentina

Its great to see a tough measuring stick, we'll definitely face the A teams of England and Spain being thats they are hosting...no telling what we'll see from Argentina.

Twellman & Rolfe better not make any of those rosters.
I hate to say it, but we'll get massacred in those games. We might only lose by 1 or 2 at England, but Spain will romp on us, and Argentina...*shudder*...I don't even want to think about it.

We aren't going the direction we need to go, and as such, we'll retain the status quo: Giants of CONCACAF, minnows in the world. Arena got us some respect, and brought us to the top of CONCACAF, but that's all he was going to do. When he left, we had our chance to bring in a bona-fide, big-time coach that could bring a European or South American style and experience to our team. Instead we hired Arena's assistant. ??? Stupid then, stupid now. Add to that some players *cough cough* Donovan *cough cough* who do not try nearly hard enough to improve and instead play it safe, and we're a long way from true respectability.

There, rant over. Whew, I didn't even know that was coming!
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #149
coyoteshockeyfan
Fool In The Rain

People said the same thing before the US played Brazil last year, but they did alright. They certainly played a lot better than the score would indicate. I'd say more, but I'd just wind up ranting about diving. Again.
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #150
ASUCHRIS
ONE HEART BEAT!!!

Send a message via AIM to ASUCHRIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stout View Post
I hate to say it, but we'll get massacred in those games. We might only lose by 1 or 2 at England, but Spain will romp on us, and Argentina...*shudder*...I don't even want to think about it.

We aren't going the direction we need to go, and as such, we'll retain the status quo: Giants of CONCACAF, minnows in the world. Arena got us some respect, and brought us to the top of CONCACAF, but that's all he was going to do. When he left, we had our chance to bring in a bona-fide, big-time coach that could bring a European or South American style and experience to our team. Instead we hired Arena's assistant. ??? Stupid then, stupid now. Add to that some players *cough cough* Donovan *cough cough* who do not try nearly hard enough to improve and instead play it safe, and we're a long way from true respectability.

There, rant over. Whew, I didn't even know that was coming!
I feel the same frustration...with so many decent options on the table why pick Bradley?
ASUCHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eddie johnson