Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Other Stuff > Politics and Religion

Old May 20th, 2003, 09:51 PM   #61
Brian in Mesa
BIMô

Send a message via MSN to Brian in Mesa Send a message via Yahoo to Brian in Mesa
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Sanders

Brian, ever served in the military? Somehow I am guessing you haven't.
No, I haven't. But both my grandfathers did, my Dad served in Nam, and my cousin served in Germany in the 90's. My step-father was also in Nam and then the Guard. What's your point? None of them go on and on about their service. From my experience, most veterans don't go around thumping their chests. They didn't serve for the praise and adoration of others. It rings hollow when a veteran can't stop mentioning their service...

Old May 20th, 2003, 10:20 PM   #62
KingofCards
My Hero

My impression of McCain is that he is a bit of a carpet bagger, that used his great service of this Nation and Republican label to gain a seat in the Senate.

Does he have any true ties to Arizona? (does anyone anymore? Where have you gone Barry Goldwater our State turns its crowded eyes to you or Bruce Babbitt.)

To answer my question: I don't think so. But I do love Republicans with views that aren't accepted by the right wing Conservatives. As I am sure Republicans love Democrats that have views that swing to the right of the middle.

I think most of us are in the same boat: A little left or a little right of the middle. Hence the results from the last election.

I think 3 parties would be perfect. 1. The far left. 2. The far right. 3. The moderate majority. Once the parties stop having to bow to extremists (from both sides), the Government will be able to work for the Country effeciently. Right now it is a thunderfvck.

If anyone had the balls to start a Moderate Party it might have a significant change in party politics. All of the 3rd parties that have been started have been to one side or the other. We need the Middle Party. Hell the Middle should be what makes the decisions anyway. Whoops I am exposing my idealist views, take me away I am a closet Communist.

I would join it. Until then I am a Democrat.

Last edited by KingofCards; May 20th, 2003 at 10:24 PM.
KingofCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:30 PM   #63
Brian in Mesa
BIMô

Send a message via MSN to Brian in Mesa Send a message via Yahoo to Brian in Mesa
Good call, King. McCain is a carpet-bagger. He's been connected to Arizona for a lot of years now, but was NOT openly accepted when he first came here...and was labeled a carpet-bagger.
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:26 AM   #64
WaywardFan
Even Better Than You Know

Quote:
Originally posted by KingofCards
You've stated a similiar assertion in the past? What IS considered rich based on this tax cut/"liberals'" definition. I find it hard to believe how anyone that cannot purchase a house would be considered rich.
Actually, until recently I wasnít able to purchase a house because we werenít set financially. We are now ready to do so, to buy a modest house, but we havenít been able to (the terminology I used in this thread). The market is nuts here. The last house we put a bid on, we had a mortgage commitment (which is apparently the best you can get), we waived all inspections and bid $8K over asking price and it still wasnít good enough.

But, yes we werenít ready financially until this year to buy one. Being laid off 3 times in 4 years will do that to you.

As far as definitions, that is a major crux of the argument. The liberal leaders, the ones who keep harping on Ďtax cuts for the richí wonít define what amount of income constitutes rich. Iíve watched them be asked point blank, and they wonít answer. Their class warfare wonít work when it is found out they mean much of the middle class as well.

According to the IRSís own information, last year my household (the unit in which my taxes are calculated) AGI was above the floor of the top 10 percentile. Sorry, but I donít feel in the top 10%. I sure as hell canít spend like Iím in the top 10%. When the liberal leadership talks about tax cuts for the rich, Iíve heard and seen them use Ďtax cuts for the wealthiest ______í with that percentage being alternatively 1%, 5%, and 10%. Iíve actually seen Daschle and Gephardt use the 10%. For some reason, they donít think I could use a tax cut. That greatly offends me.

Quote:
From what I know the Bush tax cut would not cut my taxes, and I own a house and two new vehicles. I am certainly not rich.
If you pay taxes, you will get a tax cut. All brackets are reduced and the bottom bracket is expanded. If you have kids, that would be even greater, greater still if youíre married.

Now, depending on how much your household makes, King, you could very well be rich. Bet you didnít know that.

Of course, there are cost of living adjustments between where I am and where you are, so Iím leaving that out of the discussion for the time being.
Old May 21st, 2003, 08:45 AM   #65
WizardOfAz
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by KingofCards
Does he have any true ties to Arizona? (does anyone anymore?

That's a good point in a state like AZ. Senator Kyl was born in Nebraska, I believe. The Governor is not a native Arizonan. But I guess that is representative of the population as a whole. Not many folks are native to the state.
WizardOfAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 10:31 AM   #66
WizardOfAz
Banned

Buffett:
Attached Images

WizardOfAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 10:55 AM   #67
Dback Jon
Killer Snail

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
Good call, King. McCain is a carpet-bagger. He's been connected to Arizona for a lot of years now, but was NOT openly accepted when he first came here...and was labeled a carpet-bagger.
It came up in McCain's very first primary election. His Republican challenger called McCain a carpet-bagger. McCain replied that the longest he had ever lived in one place was Hanoi. The issue died right there.
For the record, his wife is a native Arizonan.

R.I.P Tim Minnick
R.I.P Bill O'Neil
Dback Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 11:57 AM   #68
SirStefan32
Krycek, Alex Krycek

Send a message via AIM to SirStefan32
Quote:
Originally posted by SECTION 11
Is that why you don't like him?

LOL

"If people would know the things I know, we'd all fall apart."

"Once again, tonight, the course of human history will be set by two unknown men standing in the shadows."

Cigarette Smoking Man
SirStefan32 is offline   Reply With Quote