Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Other Stuff > Everything Else

Old February 14th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Lefty
Registered

With the weather about to get warm, when will scorpions come out?

Does anyone know when scorpions start to come out in Arizona?

Old February 14th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #2
azmike74
Registered

Scorpions suck. I have had an exterminator the last 2 years and have had much fewer problems with scorpions.

Edit: I don't really know the correct answer to your question, but I would look for them when highs get in the mid 80s although, it depends on where you live and how many of those bastards live in your area.
azmike74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #3
jw7
Woof!

Send a message via AIM to jw7
Are you asking when they come out or how to prevent them?

I have read that when the high gets around 70 or above (i.e. now), they start to come out. But they can come out in winter in AZ as well.

azmike has a point about an exterminator, but you have to understand that pesticides have a minimal direct effect on scorps. What they do is destroy their food source (other insects) so they go to your neighbor's house instead of yours. The pros call these "food paths" and can attract many scorps if left untreated.

My worst year (before getting a good exterminator) was about 8-9 in the house. Now I see maybe 1 in the house and about 2-3 outside per year. But it really varies where you live. Some AZ folks just never see them.

jw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #4
azmike74
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw7 View Post
azmike has a point about an exterminator, but you have to understand that pesticides have a minimal direct effect on scorps. What they do is destroy their food source (other insects) so they go to your neighbor's house instead of yours.
Yeah, I didn't mention my neighbors have much more of a problem than I do!
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #5
82CardsGrad
7 x 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw7 View Post
Are you asking when they come out or how to prevent them?

I have read that when the high gets around 70 or above (i.e. now), they start to come out. But they can come out in winter in AZ as well.

azmike has a point about an exterminator, but you have to understand that pesticides have a minimal direct effect on scorps. What they do is destroy their food source (other insects) so they go to your neighbor's house instead of yours. The pros call these "food paths" and can attract many scorps if left untreated.

My worst year (before getting a good exterminator) was about 8-9 in the house. Now I see maybe 1 in the house and about 2-3 outside per year. But it really varies where you live. Some AZ folks just never see them.
Ditto... We have lived in the same house for 9 years now and have always had an exterminator - mainly because the damn crickets were out of control!
We get maybe 2-3 Scorpions in the house per year, and about the same in the garage... My wife was stung for the first time last summer and it was no big deal at all. Some tingling and numbness on her foot where she was stung, but that was it...
82CardsGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #6
AZZenny

Send a message via AIM to AZZenny
Saw one in the kitchen under a rubber dish-drainer mat a few weeks ago. Mild winter, they're out. Biggest attractants are palm trees and having lots of river stone around your house.

Long ago in the interests of science we experimented to see just how hard they were to kill. We sprayed them with a couple common pesticides, deprived them of air for days, used hair spray (works on spiders) -- conclusion was only crushing them works.

I won't have an exterminator in the house, but ever since I started scattering a little seed in the yard for quail and doves, maybe see one scorpion inside or out per year -- and almost no crickets
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #7
thirty-two
I Want To Believe

azmike, I see that you live in Peoria. What are your cross streets? Just curious because I live in Peoria too and have since last June. This will be my first spring in this house, and I have no idea if there are scorpions in my area or not.
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #8
82CardsGrad
7 x 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZZenny View Post
I won't have an exterminator in the house, but ever since I started scattering a little seed in the yard for quail and doves, maybe see one scorpion inside or out per year -- and almost no crickets.

Just curious Zenny - why no exterminator?? Ours only does the outside permimeter of our home so he never comes inside...
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #9
DemsMyBoys
Birdgang

I've seen exactly one scorpion in my three years here. Walking across the floor of my garage. In southern California, by contrast, I saw them all the time while working in the garden. Pick up a rock, see a scorpion. I also don't have spiders here for some reason. In fact the only bugs I have are the occasional crickets and the cats nail those.

I moved here with this stereotyped notion that I'd be seeing snakes and scorpions all the time. So far the only snake I've seen had been squashed dead in the parking lot of a Target. Saw more of those in my garden in L.A. too.

Mind you I am not complaining....

And Zenny I feed the birds and put out quail blocks but it brings in the javelinas.
DemsMyBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #10
82CardsGrad
7 x 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemsMyBoys View Post
I've seen exactly one scorpion in my three years here. Walking across the floor of my garage. In southern California, by contrast, I saw them all the time while working in the garden. Pick up a rock, see a scorpion. I also don't have spiders here for some reason. In fact the only bugs I have are the occasional crickets and the cats nail those.

I moved here with this stereotyped notion that I'd be seeing snakes and scorpions all the time. So far the only snake I've seen had been squashed dead in the parking lot of a Target. Saw more of those in my garden in L.A. too.

Mind you I am not complaining....

And Zenny I feed the birds and put out quail blocks but it brings in the javelinas.

Man, not sure where in Cave Creek you are located, but I llive very close to Cave Creek - between Scottsdale and Pima Rd, just off Happy Valley Rd - and in my 9 years here, I have seen a TON of snakes!! Loads of Javelinas (they eat our pumpkins each Halloween), tons of Coyote (they take a crap in my driveway once a week!!!), and now, we have two Bobcats that have taken up residence in the wash area direction in front of our house...
The snakes suck the most... We've had 7 Rattle Snakes, countless Bull (Gopher) Snakes and last summer for the first time, a Red Racer which was really cool, but still didn't want him around!!
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #11
Gaddabout
Plucky Comic Relief

For scorpions, geckos are wonderful pets. And when the geckos take over the neighborhood (and they will after a few years if you have a lot of watered lawns) the scorpions will all but disappear. Then they'll start eating the crickets and other bugs. Geckos are nature's best exterminators!
Gaddabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #12
DemsMyBoys
Birdgang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82CardsGrad View Post
Man, not sure where in Cave Creek you are located, but I llive very close to Cave Creek - between Scottsdale and Pima Rd, just off Happy Valley Rd - and in my 9 years here, I have seen a TON of snakes!! Loads of Javelinas (they eat our pumpkins each Halloween), tons of Coyote (they take a crap in my driveway once a week!!!), and now, we have two Bobcats that have taken up residence in the wash area direction in front of our house...
The snakes suck the most... We've had 7 Rattle Snakes, countless Bull (Gopher) Snakes and last summer for the first time, a Red Racer which was really cool, but still didn't want him around!!
I'm by Cave Creek Road and Carefree Hwy.

So I guess the, "Dear Lord, please bless my house and do not let anything bite me" prayer that I say every morning before I get out of bed is doing the trick?

Lots of javelinas, a few bobcats and last night was just one more night the coyotes woke me up at 3a.m. with their yodeling.

A few weeks back I had to stop my car to let a couple of buffalo, for pity's sake, pass in front of me. They came in off the desert and walked over to a park to eat the grass for a couple of hours.
DemsMyBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #13
Lefty
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZZenny View Post
Saw one in the kitchen under a rubber dish-drainer mat a few weeks ago. Mild winter, they're out. Biggest attractants are palm trees and having lots of river stone around your house.

Long ago in the interests of science we experimented to see just how hard they were to kill. We sprayed them with a couple common pesticides, deprived them of air for days, used hair spray (works on spiders) -- conclusion was only crushing them works.

I won't have an exterminator in the house, but ever since I started scattering a little seed in the yard for quail and doves, maybe see one scorpion inside or out per year -- and almost no crickets
How many times a month do you scatter the bird seed and how far from the house?
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #14
azmike74
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
azmike, I see that you live in Peoria. What are your cross streets? Just curious because I live in Peoria too and have since last June. This will be my first spring in this house, and I have no idea if there are scorpions in my area or not.
I live near 91st Ave and Northern, our first few years in the house we didn't have scorpion problems, then the woman next door landscaped here backyard with nothing but rock and apparently scorpions. I've had an exterminator for a couple years now and I only see a few scorps per year in our house whereas the neighbors always have many more.
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #15
AZZenny

Send a message via AIM to AZZenny
I scatter a scoop of seed in the back yard every morning, and a small scoop in the afternoon if I get home from work in time -- if I don't, the cardinals get really indignant (they have a special spot for a handful of sunflower seed just for them and the Albert's Towhees, although the Thrashers muscle in, too). I enjoy seeing the quail come running in from all corners while I sip my morning coffee. I feed the hummers, of course, and I have a small finch feeder of thistle seed hanging out front that is literally covered with tiny goldfinches all the time. Doves, purple finches, and quail hang around for any slop, and all the birds scour the yard while they're waiting. Pity the poor cricket that shows it's face.

And yes, the javelina come through, but they usually come at night when there's no seed left. Occasionally in winter they come by in the morning, much to the dogs' excitement. I get rabbits, but the great horned owls look very favorably on that, and also get Harris and Cooper's Hawks, and occasional Barn Owls.

I got rid of all the packrat nests in my immediate vicinity, and the rattler population dropped from very frequent (2-3 a week) to rare (2-3 a summer). I see a couple racers and some gopher snakes around a few times a summer.

Other than a termite guy every 8-10 years (and I'm due for that) I just haven't needed an exterminator. When I had one every month many years ago, I'd have a little trouble breathing, sort of like mini-asthma, for a couple days, and one of my dogs would get sort of barfy, so just decided I'd deal with it organically whenever possible. Once a year or so I sprinkle diatomaceous earth and neem around the outside of the house, use boric acid and orange peels for ants (I'm allergic to ant bites) and I keep a can of Raid for the occasional spider (totally phobic).