Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Other Stuff > Everything Else

Old May 10th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #1
kerouac9
Ready or Not

Engagement Ring Shopping in Phoenix

Hello, all. I know I usually don't post on this board, but I couldn't think of a better place to ask.

I'm going to be (originally wrote "considering" for some reason) proposing to my long-term girlfriend in the next month or so. But I have to go shopping for the damn engagement ring. I know very specificially what she wants (3/4 carat round or square cut, gold setting with antique band, etc.), but I don't really want to spend an entire day looking at these things and feeling bad that 2 months' salary isn't going to get her the kind of ring that she probably deserves.

Anyone gone through this process semi-recently and can point me to a few places in the Phoenix area where they had good experiences. I have a girl-friend that wants to shop with me, but this doesn't seem like a great time.

Also, do you, like, haggle over the price of the ring like you do with a car?

Thanks, DesertDawg
kerouac9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:21 AM   #2
Ryanwb
Banned

Don't go in there without researching.

The "square" cut is called a princess cut, the round is "round", the football shape is the Marquise and the triangle cut is called the trillion (which is really gaining in popularity)

I would go with the princess cut because smaller karats especially the 3/4 look larger in this cut.

I recommend the Shane co. that is where I bought my wife's ring and you can haggle with them. Don't go to a mall, you'll get ripped off
Ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #3
dreamcastrocks
Chopped Liver Moderator

Jared is a pretty good place to shop for engagements. Gold and diamonds are at a premium right now, so the pricing may be a bit more expensive.

What my wife and I decided when we were shopping, was that she would shop for the ring. With something as important as an engagement ring, I wanted to make sure that she picked out something that she wanted. We mutally decided on a budget that we would not eclipse, so that we could spend more money on the wedding/honeymoon.

You can haggle a bit with the pricing, but it depends on where you go, and your salesperson. The Shane Co. is another good place to go. You cannot haggle with them as much, because they do not play their employees on commision, but you can still haggle some.

Hope that this helps.
dreamcastrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #4
D-Dogg
A Whole New World

Send a message via MSN to D-Dogg
The Shane Company is great...I bought earrings there...great service and no pushy people. Good quality too.

Advice...buy your stone seperate and pick one with lots of facets...the more cuts the more brilliant it shines. My wifes is only a .75 carat, but the cut of it is so nice and the clarity and color is great, so that most people think it is at least a full carat or more. She loves her ring.

Get the perfect stone set into a setting of your choice...it is too hard to find a great stone in a great setting, from my experience. I found the perfect stone, and then bought a crap stone in a great setting, traded the stone in for a rebate and had my stone set into it.

Also, try and get some bagettes (sp?) in the setting as that enhances the centerpiece stone.

Good luck, and congratulations! Big step, my man.

edit to correct the size of the diamond I bought...it's been almost 7 years...

Last edited by D-Dogg; May 10th, 2006 at 11:27 AM.
D-Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #5
NEZCardsfan
Banned

I went to Jared. I always go to Jared. I like the service I get in there....plus I can always ask for the same sales lady and she'll usually hook me up. I'd be horrible at doing it on my own.

As far as haggling, I never do in this case. Can't tell you why I don't though.
NEZCardsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #6
bratwurst
on double secret probation

I don't know shops in phoenix, but my wife wanted an "antique band" and we ended up choosing something made by Whitehouse Brothers. http://www.whitehousebrothers.com/index_flash.php

There are probably dealers in town that sell their stuff, you can't go wrong with these settings imo.

Here's the one my wife chose, and the best thing about it was that the setting only fit a .8 carat diamond so I didn't have to go crazy with the size of the stone. That was decided for me. Also, the store I got the setting from sent it back to Whitehouse Brothers and they did the filigree and etching all the way around the rest of the band for no extra charge.

Last edited by bratwurst; May 10th, 2006 at 11:27 AM.
bratwurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #7
D-Dogg
A Whole New World

Also, I got the princess cut, but instead of having it set as a square in the ring, I had it set with the edge point up, so it looks like a diamond shape on the setting.

It looks great.

I actually enjoyed ring shopping and learned a great deal about diamonds.

Google diamonds and really educate yourself about the stones before you talk with a retailer (Shane Co..all the way). The more knowledgeable you are, the more likely you will be happy with your purchase, and more importantly, the more happy she will be.
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #8
NEZCardsfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dogg

(Shane Co..all the way).
You're dull...but you're brilliant.
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #9
Ryanwb
Banned

do threads like this make single women depressed
Ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:28 AM   #10
DjaugheOld
Ads by Google

Congrats!

I got me wifey's ring at Jared's Jewelers over in Chandler. They have a price range from the affordable to the obscene.

This link should help you with store locations jared.com - home.

If you bring yer girlfriend...watch out that they don't play the game of "if you really love her...or isn't she worth it?"...the folks at Jared didn't play that game - for that reason I recommend them.

I also recommend to go in advance to learn the layout of the store and get to know a salesperson. Its really important that you feel comfortable with the salesperson and make them understand your budget and expectations. Perhaps actually setting up a payment account in advance (if you want to go that route)...so you don't get bogged down with paperwork and worrying what yer credit line is.

Then you can set up an appointment to bring her and look like the cool customer that doesn't break into "sweats" when the price tags are being turned over. Sometimes it may take more than one visit to select a ring...remember be cool about it.

I also recommend setting up a dinner date with yer girl friend after the ring is selected in order to make the moment more romantic...perhaps having a bouquet of flowers available at the restaurant.

Hope this helps and again congratulations!
DjaugheOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #11
D-Dogg
A Whole New World

I've heard that every kiss begins with Kay, but don't believe the hype. I've kissed a lot of women, but never any named Kay.
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #12
NEZCardsfan
Banned

What was that Valley Jewelry commercial....that had the guy who crooned??

"I love her sooooo.................
.........and she must know"

Weissfield Jewelers??
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #13
MigratingOsprey
Thank You Paul!

definitely do some research on what you're buying

I ended up buying the stone separate

I actually bought it online @ blue nile and was really happy with the process - you can view the full certs on the stone, sort by every single possible option, etc

ended up buying a carat round ring and setting it in just a basic band to propose with - then we had a custom band made at her preferred jewler up in minnesota

looks great and ended up appraising for $5k more than what I actually paid to get it done
MigratingOsprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:34 AM   #14
vince56
Registered

Also, you may want to check out Capri Jewelers over at Arizona Mills. I bought my wife's engagement ring there, and I was able to haggle the price down about 30% just by being willing to pay cash instead of charge.

As such, we went back there for our wedding bands as well, and got great deals on those too.

Oh, and Marquise cut all the way. The woman's got to remember she married a football fan
vince56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #15
krepitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanwb
do threads like this make single women depressed
krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote