Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Other Stuff > Everything Else

View Poll Results: Do you keep your porch light on all night?
Yes 17 39.53%
No 18 41.86%
Sometimes 8 18.60%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 11th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #1
thirty-two
Frell.

Do you keep your porch light on all night?

Curious.
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #2
Brian in Mesa
BIMô

Send a message via MSN to Brian in Mesa Send a message via Yahoo to Brian in Mesa
Yes.

It is always "on," but it is light sensitive so it comes on only at night or very overcast days.
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Shane
I'm Coming for YOU!

Hell no. Why would you do that?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:31 AM   #4
RugbyMuffin
2014 Offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Mesa View Post
It is always "on," but it is light sensitive so it comes on only at night or very overcast days.
+1

Big believer in timers, and montion/light sensitive auto-matic switching.

2014 Current Roster: Click Here
Cardinals Instagram: Click Here
RugbyMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #5
Louis
DJ Roomba

Location: Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyMuffin View Post
+1

Big believer in timers, and montion/light sensitive auto-matic switching.
+2
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #6
AZZenny

Send a message via AIM to AZZenny
No. Attracts bugs, and contributes to overall light pollution. I have a neighbor who leaves a front and back light on all night, and it actually makes a significant difference in the ability to see the stars from my yard. (I know because my ex used to go unscrew the bulbs sometimes.)

And between javelina, coyotes, and rabbits etc. a motion-sensor would be a pita out here.
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #7
Cardinals.Ken
Come Tip Cows With Me!

Send a message via MSN to Cardinals.Ken Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinals.Ken
Nope.

I turn off our porch lights when I'm done expecting people at the door.

-Henry Rollins
Cardinals.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #8
100%CardsFan
100% embarrassed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZZenny View Post
No. Attracts bugs, and contributes to overall light pollution. I have a neighbor who leaves a front and back light on all night, and it actually makes a significant difference in the ability to see the stars from my yard. (I know because my ex used to go unscrew the bulbs sometimes.)

And between javelina, coyotes, and rabbits etc. a motion-sensor would be a pita out here.

I leave my front,back and side lights on all night. It deters thefts from breaking into a well lit area. I even leave some lights on in the house too so if someone is ballsy enough to come in I can recognize them before I blow their body in half! well if I recognized them then I wouldnt so I guess that sounds wrong LOL
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #9
Shane
I'm Coming for YOU!

Porch lights do not deter thief's in the least. You are better off getting lights with sensors. That way they come on when someone approaches. Your more likely to get the startle effect as compared to the constant on. That MAY make them think someone just put the switch on themselves and is home.

A good burglar watches the house and knows whether the lights are on as a deterrent or not and they quite frankly don't care.

Especially guys that get off on doing hot prowls. Lights aren't deterring them.
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:25 AM   #10
DemsMyBoys
Birdgang

No. Same reasons as AZZenny.

The javelinas especially seem to be on a perpetual stakeout.
DemsMyBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #11
Jersey Girl
Stand down

Send a message via Yahoo to Jersey Girl
I never did when I had my house.

Rest in peace, Jenn.
Rest in peace, Bill. Slainte!
Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #12
100%CardsFan
100% embarrassed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane H View Post
Porch lights do not deter thief's in the least. You are better off getting lights with sensors. That way they come on when someone approaches. Your more likely to get the startle effect as compared to the constant on. That MAY make them think someone just put the switch on themselves and is home.

A good burglar watches the house and knows whether the lights are on as a deterrent or not and they quite frankly don't care.

Especially guys that get off on doing hot prowls. Lights aren't deterring them.

If I hear a noise outside and look out my window and cant see anything then it is harder for me to recognize a threat. If you ask a burgler who is attempting to break into a front door if they would rather do it with a 75 watt bulb exposing them or in the darkness I think they would pick the dark. but I might be wrong...Thats what this is all about.
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #13
Shane
I'm Coming for YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%CardsFan View Post
If I hear a noise outside and look out my window and cant see anything then it is harder for me to recognize a threat. If you ask a burgler who is attempting to break into a front door if they would rather do it with a 75 watt bulb exposing them or in the darkness I think they would pick the dark. but I might be wrong...Thats what this is all about.
A burglar especially a good one does not care about that 75 watt bulb. Like I said you are better off getting the motion sensor type preferably of a halogen spotlight that projects out with a large wide range. That way if it detects motion the light will turn on and immediately project a bright light in the direction the movement came from. It will give the intruder pause. Because they wont know for sure whether or not it was the sensor or the owner that turned it on. In that pause they may just think twice about hitting your home.

Food for thought.
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #14
40yearfan
DEFENSE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane H View Post
A burglar especially a good one does not care about that 75 watt bulb. Like I said you are better off getting the motion sensor type preferably of a halogen spotlight that projects out with a large wide range. That way if it detects motion the light will turn on and immediately project a bright light in the direction the movement came from. It will give the intruder pause. Because they wont know for sure whether or not it was the sensor or the owner that turned it on. In that pause they may just think twice about hitting your home.

Food for thought.
At our block watch meeting, the Phoenix cops told us to leave our outside lights on all night. Funny how different areas have different thoughts on the idea.
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #15
DemsMyBoys
Birdgang

I lived in a town where motion detectors were given out for free. Apparently, the money they saved on not having to paint over grafitti because the lights were on, paid for them. They even installed them for free if you said, "Pretty, please."
DemsMyBoys is offline   Reply With Quote