Arizona Sports Fans Network  

Go Back   Arizona Sports Fans Network > Other Stuff > Movies and Entertainment

Old September 2nd, 2003, 05:25 PM   #1
Ryanwb
Banned

Thumbs up

Zero Effect

WOW! Great, great movie. Really good plot and nice supportive acting. It was on cinemax last night and I stayed up till 2 am to watch it. Check it out

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120906/
Ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 10:15 AM   #2
mdamien13
Go Cardinals! Yay!!!

This is one of my all-time favorite movies. I thought Bill Pullman did an incredible job in his role. Ben Stiller was surprisingly good in a straight role. I always show this one to people I know who haven't seen it yet. Highly recommended.
Old September 8th, 2003, 09:33 AM   #3
Brian in Mesa
BIM™

Send a message via MSN to Brian in Mesa Send a message via Yahoo to Brian in Mesa
Very cool movie.
Old September 8th, 2003, 11:26 AM   #4
schutd
Regular User

Ive seen this, and I cannot remember one iota about it. Besides the box cover. Must not have had a lasting effect on me.
schutd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 11:27 AM   #5
Chaplin
Public Enemy #1

Quote:
Originally posted by schutd
Ive seen this, and I cannot remember one iota about it. Besides the box cover. Must not have had a lasting effect on me.
Exactly my response.
Old September 8th, 2003, 01:02 PM   #6
Brian in Mesa
BIM™

Send a message via MSN to Brian in Mesa Send a message via Yahoo to Brian in Mesa
Quote:
Originally posted by schutd
It's about a guy who, when he's not working, writes bad music and has no real friends...maybe you simply blacked it out.
Old September 12th, 2003, 11:29 PM   #7
jf-08
Admin

watched it tonight.

nice job by stiller & pulman.

Play hard, get dirty and never make eye-contact with the man you're going to blind-side. - Hardy Brown

RIP Skkorp, KoC, Danny_L, jstadvl, and O.

jf-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:58 AM   #8
Bada0Bing
Don't Stop Believin'

Recently watched it. I love dark comedies, so naturally I enjoyed this little gem. Nice slow steady pace to it and as mentioned above a couple of good performances.

Apparently it almost became a TV show (it was going to be a prequel tracing the early adventures of Zero).
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:01 AM   #9
AzStevenCal
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bada0Bing View Post
Recently watched it. I love dark comedies, so naturally I enjoyed this little gem. Nice slow steady pace to it and as mentioned above a couple of good performances.

Apparently it almost became a TV show (it was going to be a prequel tracing the early adventures of Zero).
I missed it the day it was in the theaters but it was one of the early titles to the DVD market and like so many early adopters I bought just about everything that came out back then. I was pleasantly surprised by the movie and it gets my vote for the best use of a Nick Cave song.

The only downside to the movie comes from listening to the commentary. It loses a little bit of it's glamour when the director tells you how he just made up some of the best stuff in the movie. It's definitely worth watching though and I'm a Kim Dickens fan for life because of it.

Steve
AzStevenCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:21 AM   #10
Bada0Bing
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzStevenCal View Post
It's definitely worth watching though and I'm a Kim Dickens fan for life because of it.

Steve
You're not alone there. The first time I saw her was in Friday Night Lights. Since then I've seen her in Deadwood, Lost, and Treme. I somehow didn't notice her in a few of the movies she's been in. Not sure how that happened, she's damn good looking for 45.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:52 AM   #11
Gaddabout
Plucky Comic Relief

It's one of my favorite movies of the 90s. The direct is Jake Kasdan, son of Lawrence Kasdan. (I threw that in there to impress Chaplin). I was really impressed with his ability to hold together a challenging story. He then went on to direct Orange County, and I thought this guy was going to have a prolific career.

Then he did the Dewey Cox movie and I've been cursing his name ever since.
Gaddabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:15 AM   #12
AzStevenCal
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Self View Post
It's one of my favorite movies of the 90s. The direct is Jake Kasdan, son of Lawrence Kasdan. (I threw that in there to impress Chaplin). I was really impressed with his ability to hold together a challenging story. He then went on to direct Orange County, and I thought this guy was going to have a prolific career.

Then he did the Dewey Cox movie and I've been cursing his name ever since.
I knew it was directed by Silverado Junior but I really just assumed it ended his career. Despite it's cult status on DVD it really tanked at the box office.

After you mentioned his other movies I checked him out on IMDB. I didn't even realize they'd made a TV pilot out of this movie. I was also surprised to see he's done several TV episodes including 5 Freaks and Geeks. And the Dewey Cox movie should have ended several careers although hopefully not John C Reilly's.

Steve
AzStevenCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:03 AM   #13
Gaddabout
Plucky Comic Relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzStevenCal View Post
I knew it was directed by Silverado Junior but I really just assumed it ended his career. Despite it's cult status on DVD it really tanked at the box office.
Yeah, it was a $5 million movie and only opened on 100 screens. That was a crime. It bombed because Castle Rock appeared to want it to bomb. I think they didn't know how to market it because they didn't know what demographic it belonged to.
Gaddabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:06 AM   #14
Mulli

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutd View Post
So it had zero effect?

I am the best corner in football.
Mulli is offline   Reply With Quote