You're the Cards GM

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by GimmedaBall, Feb 8, 2018.

1. GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall Registered

Kudos to the great posts regarding proposed GM moves. Lots of effort and evaluation.

Have to come back to this thread after FA and the draft to see who MB needs to hire.

2. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

Don't forget they have the #4 pick too. They could go all hyper Browns and draft a QB at #1 and #4 :D :eek:

3. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

Cutting Veldheer, Gresham, Dawson and AP would free up an additional $11mil.

Getting rid of the Williams duo would save 700k. I'm not including Mathieu, since he's under contract.

Oh and #31 is due a decent raise soon.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  4. AZfaninMN

AZfaninMN Registered

I’m not for cutting Veldheer because I think he’ll help our oline in his last season and I think he’ll do it cheaper than he’s getting paid now. Gresham cut would leave us with a bunch of dead cap so we might as well use him. He doesn’t really hurt us minus some bonehead penalties. AP is said to already be cut so I didn’t include him. Lastly, we need a kicker and I didn’t look into any replacements, but would be all for a cheaper replacement because they can’t be any worse than he was last year.

5. WisconsinCard

WisconsinCard Herfin BIg Time Contributor

You know I'm going to whoop your behind next weekend for even thinking about cutting my boy #20. :clapping::moon:

6. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

I'm not necessarily for cutting Veldheer either, but if they need to free up some space, those are players who could be under consideration.

I've seen enough with Gresham and would be fine cutting. Move on to Momah and Seals-Jones and find more TE help in FA or the draft.

AZfaninMN likes this.
  7. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

dont care if he bombs at the combine... I have watched the kids play. For me, Darnold is the clear cut first QB off the board.

... now...if he bombs at the combine and somehow manages to slide to 15... be ecstatic, because we just scored big time.

Chopper0080 likes this.
  8. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

Cutting Gresham frees up no money. It actually costs you several million to cut him.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/jermaine-gresham-6530/

7.2 million if he plays 9.25 dead cap if you cut him.

wa52lz likes this.
  9. Gandhi

Gandhi Registered

You are absolutely right, Chris. My bad. I simply forgot them. It’s probably the best example of them all.

10. Gandhi

Gandhi Registered

Well, because I don’t believe three picks is that many if you hit on a franchise quarterback. I get that the first round is a very big deal to a lot of people, including me, but I think it might be more about how your first round rookie is this shining face of the franchise. Somewhat of a poster boy, if you will. I believe that you build your potential championship team in the other rounds, which makes them even more important. To me, those are just as exciting, if not more, than the first round, and keeping most of your picks on the second and third day is of the utmost importance to me. Multiple first round picks aren’t really if they are spent correctly.

I don’t know about that. If we are only going back to the last two drafts, the Rams traded up to get Jared Goff, the Eagles traded up to get Carson Wentz, the Bears traded up to get Mitch Trubisky, the Chiefs traded up to get Patrick Mahomes and the Texans traded up to get Deshaun Watson. I think all five teams are happy about their decision. I understand you wrote that it was in a historical context, but I just think the draft is a dynamic thing and a lot of factors concerning the draft and rookies often change, and thus I like to only look a couple of drafts back when analyzing anything related to it. That said, you are obviously right that there have been some huge misses not that long ago, but that goes into my overall premise that you have to gamble big when it comes to the quarterback-position if you want someone really good. No risk it, no biscuit.

Chopper0080, Cardiac and oaken1 like this.
  11. POISON

POISON Formerly known as Okieguy

Darnold isn't worth 2 #1 picks much less 3, that would be horrific......

12. POISON

POISON Formerly known as Okieguy

The guy is a turnover machine. He needed another year in college at least. I watched him play and he has moments and then screws up....

13. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

14. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

I don't see any sense in cutting Veldheer. It would just create another hole you need to fill. I doubt there would be any FA T's available that would be as good.

15. AZfaninMN

AZfaninMN Registered

They’re better FA that’ll take less than he’s going to make this year. If he’s willing to take less I’d be willing to keep him. He’s not very good in coverage and always trailing the play instead of making plays in the backfield. I’m gonna put u to work next weekend so the butt whooping will be worth it :mrgreen: