You're the Cards GM

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by GimmedaBall, Feb 8, 2018.

1. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

we only have a lot of cap space coming up because we only have about 15 players under contract next season

2. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

I'd rather stick with Stanton...... and I hate Stanton.

cardncubfan likes this.
  3. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

Re-sign
    Kareem Martin
    Tyvon Branch
    Kerwynn Williams
    EFA's
    RFA's

Cut
    Tyrann Mathieu
    Mike Iupati
    Deone Bucannon
    Josh Mauro

Sign
    Jordan Matthews - WR
    Albert Wilson - WR
    Andrew Norwell - OG
    Navarro Bowman - ILB
    Malcolm Butler - CB

Trade 2018 1st, 2019 1st, 2020 1st round pick to Browns for #1
    1-Draft Sam Darnold QB
    2-James Daniels - C
    3-Brian O'Neill - OT

GimmedaBall likes this.
  4. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

That's a lot to give up when there's no clear #1 QB in the draft. I'd hate for that to become Ricky Williams pt2. On one hand Cleveland would be foolish to not take that. On the other hand Keim would be foolish to offer that, imo. But, on the other, other, other hand Keim hasn't had much success with the first round.

5. azcardsfan1616

azcardsfan1616 Fist Pumping With Arians

If Sam Darnold is on this team I may not even watch. He to me is not even close to a good prospect and should have stayed in school given his horrible year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POISON likes this.
  6. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

Thats aggressive Chopper...I like it...and if Daniels can start right away at center it makes our offense instantly competitive.
    In that scenario I would start Sam day one and let him learn as he goes...if McCoy adjusts the offense as he claims there is no reason to think Sam wouldnt be able to take us to the playoffs with that roster.

7. azcardsfan1616

You must not have watched USC football this past year.

POISON and Solar7 like this.
  8. Buckybird

Buckybird Hoist the Lombardi Trophy

Imo it’s not selling the farm if you hit on that QB! It’s just not! If you’re team has a top 5 QB, your going to be in the hunt within a few seasons unless you just blow goats on your other selections.

Would you trade 3 1st rounders & possibly a few middle round picks for Rodgers right now? I would. How about Brady, Big Ben or Ryan in their prime? Imo if not, you’re a fool.

Btw who’s team would you rather have the Iggles or Browns? They “traded the farm” & have a pretty good roster just 3 years later!!! Spare me Wentz didn’t play in the SB because he guided them to the best record in the NFC.

Oh & the Browns still don’t have a QB despite all those high draft picks lol

Chopper0080, Gandhi and oaken1 like this.
  9. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

thats the misconception. There is a clear #1 QB in this draft and that is Sam Darnold

there are also lots of guys who will be good starters and a couple who will be stars... but Sam is hands down the best choice...mostly because his floor is the highest... the worst you get with Darnold is "average starter"... but he also has a high ceiling

Chopper0080 likes this.
  10. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

I watch lots of USC football,..its on every week up here where I live.

anyone who thinks Sam Darnold is not the real deal...hasnt watched enough USC football.

Chopper0080 and GatorAZ like this.
  11. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

What if he bombs at the combine; then who are you drafting at #1 in this scenario? He might have the highest ceiling of the group, but that doesn't necessarily make him the clear #1. Most mocks have a combo of Darnold/Rosen/Allen at the #1. They all have their flaws and hopefully the combine will sort things out.

12. azcardsfan1616

I watched every game this year and his lack of ball protection and not slashing middle of the pack D1 defenses is not a good sign for the NFL. It’s USC it’s not like he didn’t have good weapons all year. He only had 4 games all year that he didn’t throw a pick. Go look at the tape of the WSU and the bowl game. He is going the give the ball up a ton at the next level. He doesn’t feel the rush.

POISON likes this.
  13. Solar7

Solar7 Optimist

If. And yeah, this is the year the Browns need to take a QB and not trade it away. If Darnold is the surefire guy, we just can't get him. Nonetheless, if we do, what if he turns 21 and loves going to the bar too much? What if he just can't hang?

Sure I'd trade away a bunch for Rodgers - for Brady in his prime (with the right coach). They're proven commodities. Almost every traded for QB in the past 20 years has flopped hard. The other two? Nah. Not in a vacuum.

But no, I'm not going to "spare you Wentz," because their team won without him, and now he has a torn ACL.

14. Mitch

Mitch Crawled Through 5 FB Fields

1. Trade CB Patrick Peterson to the Eagles for QB Nick Foles, CB Rasul Douglas and a 2019 3rd round pick.

2. Release Tyrann Mathieu, Mike Iupati, Jared Veldheer, A.Q. Shipley, Josh Mauro, Deone Bucannon and reach an injury settlement with TE Jermaine Gresham.

3. Sign the following UFAs: (1) G Andrew Norwell (Panthers); (2) G Josh Klein (Titans); (3) G/T Earl Watford (Cardinals); (4) WR Paul Richardson (Seahawks); (5) TE Trey Burton (Eagles); (6) DE Kareem Martin (Cardinals); (7) LB Zach Brown (Redskins); (8) LB Josh Bynes (Cardinals); (9) CB Tramon Williams (Cardinals); (10) Tyvon Branch (Cardinals).

4. Draft: Trade down #15 into the mid-to-late 20s to pick up extra 3rd rounder: Draft: (1) Billy Price, C, Ohio St.; (2) Darius Leonard, LB, South Carolina St. (3A); Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa; (3B) Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond.; (3C) D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland; (4) Jaylen Samuels, TE/FB, North Carolina St.; (5) Kamrin Moore, CB/S, Boston College; (7) J.T. Barrett, QB, Ohio St.

Starting Lineups:

QB: Nick Foles (Kyle Lauletta)
    RB: David Johnson (Akrum Wadley)
    FB: Jaylen Samuels (Elijaah Penny)
    TE: Trey Burton (Ricky Seals-Jones)
    WR: Larry Fitzgerald (Carlos Agudosi)
    WR: Paul Richardson (Chad Williams)
    WR: D.J. Moore (J.J. Nelson)
    LT: D.J. Humphries (Will Holden)
    LG: Andrew Norwell (Earl Watford)
    C: Billy Price (Andrew Munyer)
    RG: Josh Klein (Evan Boehm)
    RT: John Wetzel (Will Holden)

LDE: Marcus Golden (Kareem Martin)
    LDT: Robert Nkemdiche (Corey Peters)
    RDT: Olsen Pierre (Rodney Gunter)
    RDE: Chandler Jones (Praise Martin-Oguike)
    SAM: Hasaan Reddick (Josh Bynes)
    MIKE: Zach Brown (Scooby Wright)
    WILL: Darius Leonard (Gabe Martin)
    LCB: Rasul Douglas (C.J. Goodwin)
    SS: Budda Baker (Rudy Ford)
    FS: Antione Bethea (Tyvon Branch)
    RCB: Tramon Williams (Kamrin Moore)

K: Phil Dawson
    P: Andy Lee
    LS: Aaron Brewer

GimmedaBall likes this.
  15. AZfaninMN

AZfaninMN Registered

Cap space is one of our biggest issues coming into this season. I know fitz means a lot to the franchise, but if he’s about winning he could take less money. His cap hit is over $16m placing him 3rd in the league. I’m not saying he isn’t worth it, but he’s not what he was 5 years ago.

A couple others I’d restructure if possible:
    Jared Veldheer- he played great at the end of the year, but he’s on the right side now and he’s being paid to play the left. His $10m cap hit could be more like $7m and he’d still be in the top 10 for his position.

Mike Iupati- to get DJ rolling we need Iupati, but he can’t stay healthy. Another guy with a $10m cap hit that could easily be dropped $3-4m and still be top 10 in his position. Hard to gauge if he’s still a top 10 guard when he hasn’t been on the field much, but his run blocking will help our qb situation.

Tyrann Mathieu- obviously. Everyone knows it... I still think he can play, but he hasn’t had a full offseason to become himself, until this year. You can’t fault him for signing a contract offered to him by the gm. I wouldn’t mind seeing his number somewhere around $10m instead of $14.

Deone Bucannon- another guy who has fallen off these last 2 years. I’m not 100% sure, but Since were exercising his 5th year option on his rookie deal can he be restructured? If so his number should be cut in half.

Players I’d bring back:
    Justin bethel- special team exclusive

Tyvon Branch- he was playing outstanding before his injury.

Tramon Williams- need a number 2 and he played great.

Troy Niklas- cheap blocking TE.

Alex Boone- playing him at right guard will help solidify our guards.

Josh Bynes- our best interior LB last year I thought.

Jaron Brown- 2 years after his knee injury could have a breakout season with his size.

Kerwynn Williams- solid backup and good on ST.

Kareem Martin-Depth

Last year our qbs threw for 3600 21 TDs and 18 ints and we went 8-8 in a qb driven league. Having said that I wouldn’t mind a game manager as a bridge while our #15 pick(Lamar Jackson) learns. If our bridge qb struggles or the team does, you bring in the rookie.

Qbs I like:
    Tyrod Taylor- not a big fan of his since he throws for around 200 a game, but he doesn’t turn the ball over. I think that could be a huge boost with our d if we win the turnover battle every game.

Matt Moore- I never really understood why he didn’t get a chance to start in his career since his breakout year in 2011. He’s been a solid backup and he’s someone that can fill that role again if he is benched for a rookie.

Chase Daniel- He’s been behind Drew Brees for most his career, so I’m hoping he picked up a thing or 2 from the future HOF’er. Worst case scenario he could be a backup.

A couple of other FA I like:
    Bashad Breeland(CB)- played opposite Norman in Washington and has good size and for a zone d.(assuming we run a lot of zone with Wilks D)

Jarvis Landry (WR)- tough hard nosed wr that brings some attitude to the offense.

Nigel Bradham(LB)- big LB who is good in coverage. Bigger and better version of Bucannon.

Allen Robinson (WR)- Considered a top 10 WR a couple years ago, he hasn’t had consistent QB play to repeat. Coming off a knee injury, could be a prove it contract

Ross Cockrell (CB)-I thought he was the most consistent CB for the Giants last year and got a lot of playing time late in the season.

Austin Sefferien-Jenkins(TE)- still young and a huge red zone target at 6’ 6”

Tahir Whitehead (LB)- run stuffing LB that is a good tackler.

Haloti Ngata(DT)- another run plugger and could serve as a 1st and 2nd down DT while Pierre gets the interior sacks on the inside.

Draft I like:
    1- Lamar Jackson QB Louisville
    2- Anthony Miller WR Memphis -or- Billy Price OG Ohio State
    3- Christian Sam ILB ASU

That’s all I got for now.

WisconsinCard and GimmedaBall like this.