WRs that block

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by AntSports Steve, Apr 29, 2003.

1. AntSports Steve

AntSports Steve Cardinals Future GM

Everyone should notice that both of the drafted WRs are very good downfield blockers. It's looking like the Cards might try to beat up some secondaries this year. Also, I see a lot of running plays for 2003.

How much do these new WRs help out in the running game?

2. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

Everyone should notice that both of the drafted WRs are very good downfield blockers.

Excellent - particularly since the three UDFA receivers apparently are not.

I didn't think D-Bo or Frankie were particularly good blockers. And while Mar Tay was at least physical, I'm not sure he was all that good a blocker either.

The lack of blocking by our wideouts has not helped our running game any for many a year.

3. Pariah

Pariah H.S. Contributor

I saw Jaws breaking down some Steelers plays when talking about Hines Ward and what an incredible blocker he is for a WR--he said something to the effect of every long run has at least one close-off WR block. Maybe we'll start seeing some plays that might normally go for 10-15 yards go the distance.

That said, I hope these guys can catch better than they block, as good as that may be.

4. SECTION 11

SECTION 11 vibraslap

All receivers should block on every play.
    It should be warfare near the play, away from the play, all over the field. There's no excuse for not blocking, unless of course you're a wuss prima dona.

5. CardinalChris

CardinalChris Big Man Himself

They also have better hands than previous receivers.... They won't burn past anybody, but they run routes well, quick in an out of breaks and above average hands.

6. bratwurst

bratwurst on double secret probation

The most amazing things about the Thomas Jones run in the seattle game last year were the two HUGE blocks. One of which was by D-Bo down the field. I watched that play over and over and over and everytime I just keyed in on those blocks. It was extremely rare to see that kind of block thrown by a Cardinal receiver in the past couple of years.