Who IS the top NBA center right now?

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Yuma, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Yuma

Yuma Out of posting retirement!

2. The Commish

The Commish youknowhatimsayin?

Nice. I don't know why Amare is so against playing Center. He has better matchups against them and is simply torching everyone he plays. The only guys he seems to struggle with are Yao and Shaq for obvious reasons. Who says we need a Center? Why don't we just get another PF to play along side Amare?

I would also like to note that Steven Hunter is rated higher that Eric Dampier. :D

3. fordronken

fordronken Registered User

And I'm sure we'd all rather havee P.J. Brown than Ben Wallace.

4. lancelet's cousin

lancelet's cousin Registered

Looking at that list makes me realize how badly the talent at center has dropped. AND HE AIN'T NO CENTER! :D :D :D

-or at least don't tell him that. :)

But seriously, Shaq is still the best center in the game. But it's cool to know that Amare can play Shaq's position at such a high level with him. He's the only 5 in the league that can keep score with him now.

5. Yuma

Yuma Out of posting retirement!

along those lines, Pavel Podkolzin is the WORST rated NBA center. Some guys on this board were enamored with him before the draft! :D

6. JPlay

JPlay JPlay

He's a PF playing Center. He can't match up agains Shaq or Yao.

7. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

He matches up with them better than anyone else does.

BTW, they can't match up with him. Oh, and we do have the best record in the league with him at center.

8. SunCardfan

SunCardfan Registered

What other centers match up well against those two then? There are 32 teams right :confused: I guess there are only two centers in the league :confused:

9. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Outside of a few exceptions, Yao has never dominated Amare and vice versa.

10. fordronken

fordronken Registered User

11. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

That would be me :(

12. JPlay

JPlay JPlay

No, his team matches up better. He can't guard Shaq or Yao straight up. Yao ate him up when they played a couple of weeks ago. He can outquick most centers, but guys like Shaq, Yao and Duncan give him problems w/ their shot blocking ability. The Suns are much better served to have him play like he did last Rockets game when he faces them. Play tough D, rebound and not try to force shots inside. That's that rookie year Stoudemire that would fight for boards and block shots. Let the perimeter guys win us the game.

13. JS22

JS22 Say Vandelay!

Thats great news! I was one of the few here who was TOTALLY against signing Dampier, and even got called "stupid" for stating my opinion. Guess I was right, huh?

:moon:

14. cly2tw

cly2tw Registered User

Agree. That's the reason I prefer facing Dallas than Houston in the playoffs. With Yao healthy, we lose the weapon of having Amare bail us out when things get tougher, which he can do at will vs. Mavs. And when TMac gets hot like in their win against us, it'd be really tough for us to beat Houston. Now, it's unlikely to happen in most games but the chance is there. Dallas is better than Houston on average but they have no super weapon like TMac to surprise us. They are more steady in their play, consistently below our beloved Suns.

15. nothin' but net

nothin' but net Registered

Interesting too where the entire starting 5 place.

Amare #1
    Matrix #3
    JJ #5
    Q #12
    Nash #7

Can't agree with their rating system though. First, Marion should be ranked 3rd among PF's, not SF's. That would move Q up to #11 among SF's. However, I can't put a lot of stock in a rating system that puts Nash at #7. I think any PG that has his other 4 starters ranking 1,3,5,and 11 in their positions automatically becomes a #1 in my book. It is that elusive "making your team better" category that some players (read Kobe) can't grasp.