What is fair for J.D Martinez’s next contract? Some one suggest...

Discussion in 'Arizona Diamondbacks' started by Ronin, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Yeah, thanks for the memories, JD

2. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

I'm guessing 5 years in the 27 mil AAV range. Man he would absolutely kill it in Fenway or Houston.

3. DWKB

DWKB Registered

That's insane IMO. Injuries and defensive liability alone should dictate a curb on his AAV, but like I said, AL teams can slide him to DH when his defense becomes an issue.

Boras quote from Piecoro calls out DBacks and makes a lot of sense if you ignore the self interest of the commenter:

The way Boras sees it, the Diamondbacks have, in a way, already committed themselves to spending on Martinez by signing right-hander Zack Greinke two offseasons ago to a six-year, $206.5 million deal.

“You don’t sign Greinke and not sign this guy,” Boras said. “I mean, once you drop in the pool, you’re in the water. Once you’re in the water, it’s kind of hard to say you’re not wet. It sends a message to the fan base about being competitive – all the things we talk about as a player.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...artinez-free-agent-scott-boras-mlb/842483001/

4. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

ARZ figures the offense was going to be fine and were so desperate for a true ace to carry them into the playoffs that they paid a 32 year old whose best days most likely are behind him the kind of money you spend on a 27 year old ace. If Greinke’s contract was the only one ARZ had to worry about then yeah they could afford Martinez but a lot of guys are arbitration eligible and big deals loom for Goldschmidt, Pollock & Ray so long term ARZ can’t afford Martinez.

5. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

Which is why I changed my opinion about the DH rule in the National League after all these years. 'Just another way that it puts NL teams at a disadvantage.

Boras' quote makes sense. You have Goldy. You add Greinke. Then you add JD. And we advance to the post-season via the wild card for the first time in years.

With Greinke's disappointing post season-performances and the emergence of Robbie Ray as a potential ace, we can afford to lose Grienke more than JD if we don't want to fall back to mediocrity, which we will without JD Martinez.

6. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

7. unseenaz

unseenaz Registered

holy smokes, lol. he's already posturing for a huuuge deal.

8. Ronin

9. unseenaz

unseenaz Registered

10. DWKB

DWKB Registered

Yeah, to squash any remote possibility we were even players in this contest:

Hall said the Diamondbacks’ payroll will be “close to where we’ve been the last couple of years.” The club ended last season somewhere above $105 million and next year’s roster projects north of $115 million. That would appear to leave little room for another big-ticket item like Martinez, whose agent, Scott Boras, seems to be positioning his client for a major payday.

“(We had) some good conversations (before free agency began) and since then he’s sought new representation, so things have changed from those initial conversations,” Hall said. “But J.D. is such a great guy and we’re just glad to know that he enjoyed his time here because we enjoyed him being here, too.”

Hall said the club’s target 2018 payroll could rise as the offseason progresses depending on whether the club’s anticipated revenues increase, but he said that wouldn’t be a significant jump.

“You’re not talking about $10 million,” he said.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ks-payroll-wont-see-steep-increase/854217001/

11. Ronin

At least he is being reasonable.:)

12. Dude

Dude Registered

If we are to spend 210 Million I would rather go after another ace. He can't keep up what he did this year.

Ronin likes this.
  13. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

That is one opinion. The other, as I've been posting, is 'yes, he can'.

I maintain that the most important thing he gave the Suns was protection for Goldy in the batting order. Without that, does anyone think that Goldy would have put up the numbers he did?

There is no one else on the Suns roster who can fill that role. Lamb, who shriveled up the 2nd half of the past two seasons? Tomás, c'mon. We'll need to sign someone else to fill that role if we expect the D-backs to hold even (Wild Card), let alone improve in 2018.

14. DWKB

DWKB Registered

So you throw it at Jake Arrieta instead? I think he's the best SP option.

Go with an OF of Pollock, Peralta, and Brito?

15. Dude

Dude Registered

I haven't thought about who plays right. I'm just saying if we're going to pay out another 200 million plus deal I would want it to be another ace.

I'm stuck thinking about Greinke, Ace 2, Ray, Walker, Godley, and maybe even Miller pulling his head out.

That will win a lot of games. I think you can bring up a bat that plays outfield. IMO you have to buy pitching it's to hard to get in any fashion.

Also move Bradley to closer and Chafin set up in the 8th.

You can work me over on this I'm winging it. I just think it's money better spent and we don't have a lot to spend.