Well, It Turns You Might Need Your Appendix After All

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by Brian in Mesa, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

http://www.simplemost.com/research-...partner&utm_campaign=scripps&utm_content=KNXV

Appendix removal is a common treatment for appendicitis, but research is suggesting that we may need to rethink the whole “take-it-out” method as the one and only cure.

According to Time magazine, a recent study published in the “Comptes Rendus Palevol” journal by Heather F. Smith, PhD, took a close look at the presence or absence of the appendix in 533 different mammals.

The study revealed that while not all mammals have the organ, the ones that do seem to need it. So, perhaps it’s not as useless as we once thought. Here’s what Time reported about the study:

Species who had an appendix tend to have higher concentrations of lymphoid tissue in their cecum, a pouch that connects the small and large intestine. This type of tissue can play a role in immunity, and can also stimulate growth of healthy gut bacteria.

The appendix essentially serves as a “safe house” for the healthy bacteria, Smith told Time.

According to Science Focus, a study conducted back in 2015 revealed similar information: Keeping that “good” bacteria around is important for our health.

“A balanced microbiome is essential for recovery from bacterial threats to gut health, such as food poisoning,” Gabrielle Belz, a professor at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute in Melbourne, Australia, told Science Focus.

Southpaw likes this.
  2. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

Yeah, I believe we're just scratching the surface on the importance of the microbiome.

3. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Awesome lady. I taught her how to make anatomy videos for her students. :)

Here is a radio interview she did with NewsTalk Dublin a few weeks ago on the subject:

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Moncrieff/Highlights_from_Moncrieff/172226/Do_we_need_our_appendix

jf-08 likes this.
  4. Bodha

Bodha Registered

Broken study. 533 Mammals? Why not 533 humans?

Me and an aardvark dont have the same diets, thus our bodies digest different materials differently and our organs have difference profiles. I dont care how my medicals compare to a sea leopard.

But we're both mammals so that makes us totes the same.

5. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

Above is the title. No one said it was a fact Therefore, the study is not "broken". Beyond that, if you don't understand science, the scientific process, testing and how these things get figured out over time, it is probably best to just leave it to the science people and instead tinker with your fantasy football roster.

Southpaw and ozzfloyd like this.
  6. Bodha

Bodha Registered

Nah, its trash.

Appendectomy's have been done for 250 years. All of those doctors were wrong?

More likely this broad needed something to publish, so she threw together a study full of "perhaps", "maybe", "might" IE baseless, unsupported BS.

Hey look im a doctor too "humans might be immortal as evidenced by some jellyfish".

7. BigRedRage

Yeah, just a clear misunderstanding of the scientific process. Its ok, masking it by calling out the scientist is a good way to go for it. Maybe trump will put you in charge of science or something.

8. Bodha

Bodha Registered

Nah, her studies trash, youre attempts to combat me are trash, Trump is trash.

Argue with me on other stuff. This ones a wrap.

9. BigRedRage

its not combat, I said its OK to not understand the scientific process.

10. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

Keep politics out of here, and tone it down, please.

11. puckhead

:rolleyes:

12. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

I guess based on that argument doctors should still be performing bloodletting. How could those doctors be wrong for a thousand years. :)

I've been reading about this topic since 2011 and it seems the evidence is generally pointing in the direction of the appendix being used to store good bacteria.

bankybruce likes this.
  13. Bodha

Bodha Registered

Nah, report is trash and doctor lady just needed to publish something so her doctor friends would quit making fun of her.

A study I just made up right now says penguins might be the secret to space travel.

You put "might" on anything, and it makes it valid. It also makes it garbage and worthless. Tell Doctor Becky to come back when shes got a more sure thing.

14. puckhead

Wow, you got it. I just went and spoke to her today and she admitted this is exactly what happened. I did mention that you were the one who tipped me off, and she was hoping you would share your last published research so she could learn something. Thanks in advance.

15. Bodha

Bodha Registered

Thats a lie, you dont know her.