Warren Buffet calls Bush tax plan "Voodoo Economics"

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Dback Jon, May 20, 2003.

1. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

No, I haven't. But both my grandfathers did, my Dad served in Nam, and my cousin served in Germany in the 90's. My step-father was also in Nam and then the Guard. What's your point? None of them go on and on about their service. From my experience, most veterans don't go around thumping their chests. They didn't serve for the praise and adoration of others. It rings hollow when a veteran can't stop mentioning their service...

2. KingofCards

KingofCards My Hero

My impression of McCain is that he is a bit of a carpet bagger, that used his great service of this Nation and Republican label to gain a seat in the Senate.

Does he have any true ties to Arizona? (does anyone anymore? Where have you gone Barry Goldwater our State turns its crowded eyes to you or Bruce Babbitt.)

To answer my question: I don't think so. But I do love Republicans with views that aren't accepted by the right wing Conservatives. As I am sure Republicans love Democrats that have views that swing to the right of the middle.

I think most of us are in the same boat: A little left or a little right of the middle. Hence the results from the last election.

I think 3 parties would be perfect. 1. The far left. 2. The far right. 3. The moderate majority. Once the parties stop having to bow to extremists (from both sides), the Government will be able to work for the Country effeciently. Right now it is a thunderfvck.

If anyone had the balls to start a Moderate Party it might have a significant change in party politics. All of the 3rd parties that have been started have been to one side or the other. We need the Middle Party. Hell the Middle should be what makes the decisions anyway. Whoops I am exposing my idealist views, take me away I am a closet Communist. :rolleyes:

I would join it. Until then I am a Democrat.

Last edited: May 20, 2003
  3. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

Good call, King. McCain is a carpet-bagger. He's been connected to Arizona for a lot of years now, but was NOT openly accepted when he first came here...and was labeled a carpet-bagger.

4. WaywardFan

WaywardFan Even Better Than You Know Contributor

Actually, until recently I wasn’t able to purchase a house because we weren’t set financially. We are now ready to do so, to buy a modest house, but we haven’t been able to (the terminology I used in this thread). The market is nuts here. The last house we put a bid on, we had a mortgage commitment (which is apparently the best you can get), we waived all inspections and bid $8K over asking price and it still wasn’t good enough.

But, yes we weren’t ready financially until this year to buy one. Being laid off 3 times in 4 years will do that to you.

As far as definitions, that is a major crux of the argument. The liberal leaders, the ones who keep harping on ‘tax cuts for the rich’ won’t define what amount of income constitutes rich. I’ve watched them be asked point blank, and they won’t answer. Their class warfare won’t work when it is found out they mean much of the middle class as well.

According to the IRS’s own information, last year my household (the unit in which my taxes are calculated) AGI was above the floor of the top 10 percentile. Sorry, but I don’t feel in the top 10%. I sure as hell can’t spend like I’m in the top 10%. When the liberal leadership talks about tax cuts for the rich, I’ve heard and seen them use ‘tax cuts for the wealthiest ______’ with that percentage being alternatively 1%, 5%, and 10%. I’ve actually seen Daschle and Gephardt use the 10%. For some reason, they don’t think I could use a tax cut. That greatly offends me.

If you pay taxes, you will get a tax cut. All brackets are reduced and the bottom bracket is expanded. If you have kids, that would be even greater, greater still if you’re married.

Now, depending on how much your household makes, King, you could very well be rich. Bet you didn’t know that.

Of course, there are cost of living adjustments between where I am and where you are, so I’m leaving that out of the discussion for the time being.

5. WizardOfAz

WizardOfAz Banned

That's a good point in a state like AZ. Senator Kyl was born in Nebraska, I believe. The Governor is not a native Arizonan. But I guess that is representative of the population as a whole. Not many folks are native to the state.

6. WizardOfAz

WizardOfAz Banned

Buffett:

Attached Files:

7. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

It came up in McCain's very first primary election. His Republican challenger called McCain a carpet-bagger. McCain replied that the longest he had ever lived in one place was Hanoi. The issue died right there.
    For the record, his wife is a native Arizonan.

8. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

LOL:D