walking in circles

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by oaken1, Oct 17, 2017.

1. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

went to the orthopedic surgeon today. He says I need a knee replacement. But I am too young for a knee replacement and I am too big for a knee replacement. So lets give it steroid shots and PT for a few years until I am older,...see if we can make it keep working.

I aint hating on him for it...I dont want a knee replacement honestly. It puts too many limits on what you can do...as long as I have my natural knee there are things I can still do occasionally...play hoops,...lift heavy things once in a while...things like that...and if in so doing, I still have the option of getting the knee replaced... however once the knee is changed I cant do that stuff because if I ruin the new knee there is a chance I lose my lower leg.
    but I have this funky cist on my "tibial plateau" I think it is... hurts like hell ...apparently we are just gonna leave that there and hope PT reduces it enough that it stops hurting.
    The thought process is, if PT and corticosteroids can get the "extreme" arthritis under control it will reduce the pain enough to make the cyst "livable"

dudes.

Getting old really suxx azz

2. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

I'm sorry to hear about your knee troubles. The only advice I have is to really give PT a shot.

A couple/few years back, I had some intense neck pain that was giving me issues down to my shoulder and arm. Got tests done, etc, and discovered I have bone spurs in my vertebrae that might have been digging into my nerves. Doc didn't seem to think that they were the cause of my issue, though.

I also have malformed bones in my shoulder that limit the room the nerves have to feed through to my arm. Weird. Anyway, doc sent me to try PT first to see if that could alleviate my problems before resorting to surgery to get rid of the bone spurs. I was super pissed and felt it was a waste of my time and money. (I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.)

Three to four weeks later, all pain was entirely gone. I did do all of my exercises pretty religiously, because I wanted to be able to tell my Dr, truthfully, that I did everything they said and it didn't fix anything, lol.

I am a completely changed woman and believe fully in trying PT first when possible.

Good luck, I truly hope it works for you.

3. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

PT worked for my knee. The trick is to stay with it. You can't give up after a couple of weeks if it doesn't feel better. A slow strengthening of the muscles is what it takes.. At least it worked for me... Took months, not weeks.

I also had tennis elbow. Whenever I would bump into a wall or something I thought I would start to cry. PT worked for that also.

One of my golf buddies, 60 years old, had both knees replaced. Took a few months but he's back to playing.

Listen to your instincts, your body knows what it needs.

Good luck Oak!

4. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

I plan on putting my all into some PT... simply because I dont want a new knee right now, lol.
    I understand there will never be a full recovery per se..too much damage..as it stands, that cyst is the only padding in my knee which is likely why the doc wants to leave it there as it cuts down on the tibia and femur grinding away at each other.

my biggest challenge is trying to drop weight while dealing with the pain. The combination of neck, back, and knee makes it difficult to find exercise that does not add further injury.

did a pain management assessment today and the doc prescribed 60 percocets monthly.... didnt want percocet, the stuff scares me a little bit.. but she would not give me vicodin because I would need too many apparently.

Linderbee likes this.
  5. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

Good luck to you...I have pretty bad arthritis in my knees; I'm sure if I managed to drop all the extra weight I'm lugging around they'd feel better, so I feel your pain. It's hard when everything you try to do makes it hurt more.