Update: David Johnson sits out, wants contract extension

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by MadCardDisease, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

I agree with many others that I don't mind DJ doing this, that he should hold out for his...to a point. I feel it is an absolute MUST for him to get it done before 2 things happen: Le'Veon Bell's contract situation is resolved and training camp starts. Since Bell isn't going to sign, if at all, by very late in TC or into the season, the FO should be fired if they don't manage to get the deal done by then.

Now, getting it done by TC might be more difficult, but it really needs done by then. This is a new coach and a new system, and Johnson's a young player and key cog in the offense. He needs to be there for t he duration.

I hope he gets his money and we get him on a reasonable deal and in camp on time.

2. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

That’s discounting CTE too much. The disproportionate percentage of football players who committed suicide points to it being factors other than just “doing it to themselves.”

3. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

But it works in the inverse too. NFL teams can cut a player for zero reason and not be on the hook for that contract (other than the guaranteed bonus) either. So these NFL contracts are really almost just gebtkemen’s Agreements beyond the guaranteed money.

4. kerouac9

kerouac9 Blocked by @Cardschatter

David Johnson doesn’t deserve Le’Veon Bell money. Bells been better for longer.

5. BurqueCardFan

BurqueCardFan Registered

But that's the point. The players know the amount of guaranteed money they are getting when they sign the deal. For all intents and purposes, they are signing the deal based on the guaranteed portion of it and nothing else. They know this going in. So if the player gets hurt and only plays two out of the 4 years, does he give back a portion of his guaranteed money? No.

6. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

2016 stats DJ - 2,118 yds & 20TD's Bell - 1,884 yds & 9TD's

I would say DJ was better unless you prefer 9TD's over 20. Yes DJ was injured last year but that doesn't mean Bell is a better player.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/rushing.htm

Ronin and unseenaz like this.
  7. unseenaz

unseenaz Registered

still been doing it longer, more of a sure thing. no one wants to hear it, but RBs flash early in their careers all the time, not all of them continue it over a career

WisconsinCard likes this.
  8. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

To me guaranteed contracts are a slippery slope. On one hand, players do deserve some security for the risk they take but on the other say a guy signs a big extension with a big cap number and then goes down with a season or career ending injury. There needs to be some protection for both sides. Paying a guy $10M+ on IR sucks because he is getting paid for nothing. I think there should be injury insurance that kicks in on season ending injuries so that the team gets some sort of salary relief and insurance picks up say 50% - 60% of that year’s salary that way it helps a team use that money on a replacement if they don’t already have one.

9. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

The suicide rate, from what I've read, is no greater than in the general population.

10. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

It's simple really.

Rookie contracts today are unfair because they are now slotted. So a rookie player who lights up the NFL is forced to play on a sub par contract for at least 3 years.

David Johnson has played out the first 3 years of that slotted contract and is now eligible to negotiate a contract extension. He has every right to hold out for a new contract. He deserves a new contract. He is vastly underpaid.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 8:48 AM
    daves likes this.
  11. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

Guaranteed contracts under a CAP system works in the NHL

12. Ronin

Ronin Quick to point out the obvious Contributor

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcwest/po...r-david-johnson-are-wrong-in-contract-impasse

13. Ronin

Ronin Quick to point out the obvious Contributor

14. kerouac9

kerouac9 Blocked by @Cardschatter

How about the last three years? Does production count only every other year?

Bell is twice an All-Pro. He's been to the Pro Bowl three times. He's gone over 1300 yards rushing three times in 5 NFL seasons. And he's two months younger than David Johnson. Bell has 8 fumbles in 5 seasons. David Johnson has 11 in 2 1/16.

There's no world where David Johnson is as good or better than Le'Veon Bell.

unseenaz, WisconsinCard and daves like this.
  15. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

[​IMG]

:cool: BIM

masterphomeg likes this.