Tyrann Mathieu says he’s best defensive player in NFL when healthy

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by BullheadCardFan, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Mitch

Mitch Crawled Through 5 FB Fields

This Just In: Golden Tate is one of the speediest, most difficult slot WRs to cover in the NFL, especially when you are playing man to man without a heckuva lot of help underneath. Badger was close with him all game. Too bad some passes weren't hurried better or deflected because Badger may have gotten his hands on a couple of them.

BYW---I thought Bettcher would put Patrick Peterson on Tate and bracket Marvin Jones with Bethel and the FS. He refused to. Even when Tate was clearly the one doing the most damage, Bettcher never countered.

2. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

That too, on golden Tate

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. eastcoastSUN

eastcoastSUN Registered

HB looked really good in the preseason and absolutely terrible in coverage on Sunday. Gonna chalk this one up to the scheme and not the player's ability. Not worried about HB. More worried about 100 year old Bethea supposedly covering behind him.

4. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Registered

It is also the truth of the matter.

Tyrann Mathieu is an average player at best after his injuries. I would compare him to Bob Sanders, but at least Sander was still effective when healthy.

Between Mathieu and John Brown the Cardinals literally are living a worse case scenario......oh, and the best thing they had going for them is currently hurt and out for most the season.

Again, this team doesn't get normal injuries, its like there is a sniper out there and he is just taking down the most important pieces of the team. It started with Tyrann Mathieu's injury against the Eagles in 2015, and it has been a complete nightmare since.

It REALLY sucks.

5. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

I wasn't seeing the Badger others did. He had that one nice pick but what really caught my eye there was how slow he looked on the running back. That was a pick six for a corner who still had decent speed.

But I agree on Bethea as well.

eastcoastSUN likes this.
  6. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

The 8 for 8 stat contains a hidden factor - i.e. What the freak was Bettcher doing having our slot corner/safety covering arguably their best receiver on 8 patterns and who knows how many other plays?

Mitch likes this.
  7. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Registered

He has his 8 million dollar, "best defensive player in the NFL when healthy" cornerback on their best receiver. The only place I see where the coach is at fault there is for having the player out there on the field.

But, to be fair, it is the GM that is paying a very average player, big money. Mathieu's role on this team is to be able to cover and make plays, and he has not done either since 2015.

If he puts Peterson on him, then Marvin Jones would be open.......and it goes on from there.

I am NOT a huge Bettcher fan, not in the least, but talent issues are not his problem.

8. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

9. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

10. Catfish

Catfish Registered

talk is cheap---------time for everyone on this team to shut-up and put-up now.

cardpa likes this.
  11. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

Mathieu has a lane, but stumbles after the catch: “Had I caught it clean, I probably would have got to the sideline and I may have scored. I didn’t catch it clean, so I had to run through traffic a bit. At that point, it’s all about securing the ball. You definitely don’t want to give the ball back to them, because at that point, all they would need is three points to win. We were already in field goal range. Me and Phil had a conversation on the sideline before the play. He owes me a bottle of wine (for giving him a second chance at a game-winner)."

12. daves

daves Registered Contributor

Hmm, i'm really not sure how seriously to take this:
    I really hope Mathieu doesn't ever use this "close my eyes" technique again!

...dave

cardncubfan likes this.
  13. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

I really think he is still just messing with Karlos since he stole his 20th from him. That's my theory & I'm sticking to it. :)

daves likes this.