Tyrann Mathieu: "No way I'm taking a pay cut."

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Mitch, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Mitch

Mitch Crawled Through 5 FB Fields

I would love to see what Wilks and Holcomb and Merritt can do with the Honey Badger. I just hope that HB can agree to a revised contract.

Honey Badger appears to be at a crossroads with regard to his career right now. He stopped writing up his personal and team goals last season. There is no question that he has lost some of his passion---he often looked like he was brooding on the field, when in the past he would be bubbling with excitement. Sure, the knee injuries were dispiriting, no question. But, what's hard to know for sure is whether his knees were preventing him from making plays he normally would make, or whether it was a deflated psyche. Too frequently, he looked mentally and physically fatigued. Of course, they practically never took him off the field...which is part of it. But the other part is that even coming into the season he didn't look like he was in very good shape, not at least to his accustomed standards.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    WisconsinCard likes this.
  2. BW52

BW52 Registered

I can always hope they rid themselves of his sorry ass overpaid underproducing self.

3. football karma

football karma formerly known as En Fuego

there is a well known phenomenon in the NFL:

1. Existing team offers reduced contract to player that is still market or better
    2. Player's ego doesnt want to accept such reduction
    3. Player gets cut
    4. Player accepts market deal from another team that is no better or even worse than No. 1 above

for some reason, its easier for guys to take lower deals when its a new team offering

not every player reacts this way -- but plenty do.

its where a good agent can be a team and player's best friend: providing an accurate take on market, and, constructing a ego saving way to get it done

Jetstream Green, gimpy and Mitch like this.
  4. SO91

SO91 Registered

I'm curious if you, or any of the other posters demanding he take a pay cut because he's underperforming his current contract are okay with players demanding a better contract when they overperform their current deal. Or is that when the "he signed a contract, he needs to honor it" mantra comes in?

5. Arz101

Arz101 Registered

requesting :ban: for this user for making a logical statement on a fan forum

6. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

If he refuses to budge on his current contract, he certainly will be going. If he does budge, then he might stay.

jason_0891 and Brian in Mesa like this.
  7. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIMâ„¢ Contributor

I am not demanding anyone take a pay cut. Just saying - he either takes a pay cut or he is cut. It's his choice.

As for over-performing, I don't buy into that at all. You sign it, you play it out. If you put in the time and work and seriously feel you got the best contract available to you - then play it out. Don't get tied into a lengthy low-ball contract and you should be fine. If you think you'll be all-world then have incentives in your deal so you get paid if you hit all your goals, etc. It's usually all about ego. One guy gets paid and is happy until another player signs a bigger deal. Then, suddenly, the original player feels slighted and underpaid. It can get ridiculous rather quickly. Be careful what you sign.

8. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

and be careful what contracts you sign players to...right? Because they just may expect you to honor them as well.

cardncubfan, WildBB and SO91 like this.
  9. iRobot

iRobot Registered

I dunno about y'all but if my employer gives me a fat contract and then asked me to take a pay cut I would just laugh. Especially knowing I can go to just about anywhere and get paid the same and at worst, close to the same.

10. SO91

SO91 Registered

You don't buy it, as in you don't believe a guy can over-perform their current deal? The market is the market, and if you think a player ought to restructure and take a pay cut because he's no longer performing to the level of that contract, then shouldn't that same logic apply when the opposite happens?

cardncubfan, daves and GuernseyCard like this.
  11. WildBB

WildBB BB - BIG BIRD

All parties, gitRdone.

12. TRW

TRW Registered

It's a bad situation but it's best to cut him than pour any more $$$$ down that sinkhole. HB just has lost a step and maybe 2 and just can't consistently make the play. Love the kid, great story, don't have a problem with him saying he won't take a pay cut and don't have a problem with the team saying "Thank you and good bye." if he doesn't.

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  13. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

On a roster that looks like it is going to have to be elite defensively to be competitive, and with no QB locked in, how is it better for the team's chances to win by cutting Mathieu? What are you going to do with the 4.8 mil that we save against the cap that will impact our team as much as having Mathieu playing will?

cardncubfan and SO91 like this.
  14. football karma

football karma formerly known as En Fuego

its more than just the $4.8mm this year -- its the $14mm in 2019 and $14mm 2020 as well

for that cap hit over time -- you likely sign a replacement level DB and an average starting WR or OL

so: do you want HB on the books for $14mm per, or, do you want, lets say:

a Josh Sitton, OG for $7mm per + a DJ Swearinger at $4.5mm per

Stout likes this.
  15. TRW

TRW Registered

I don't think having HB gives the Cards a better chance to win at all. He is a shell of his former self.

dreday likes this.