Tyrann Mathieu: "No way I'm taking a pay cut."

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Mitch, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Dan H

Dan H Registered User

The Saints just cut a guy with a heart condition. Don't think it will impact their ability to attract talent.

kerouac9 and Brian in Mesa like this.
  2. redheat

redheat Registered

If he gets released he won’t get that high money so it’s like taking a pay cut anyways. Hopefully we find a trade partner if it comes to that.

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  3. wit3card

wit3card Registered

I don't think they cut HB or trade him, maybe they restructure his deal to a longer deal with more garantee and maybe a bit more incentives for Pro Bowl or so. And so that we have more money now that we can add a good QB or O-line or CB or ILB or .... yeah you get the idea

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  4. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

Mathieu was guaranteed 21 mil when he signed his contract. He then gets 13 mil guaranteed if he is on the roster the first day of the league year (5 this year, and 8 next year). He will take a reworked deal, but you are going to have to come close to still guaranteeing him 13 mil over the next two years. And let's not kid ourselves, Mathieu will not be out of the league if the Cardinals cut him. He will get another deal with guaranteed money. I doubt you would boldly declare that you would rework your deal if you were scheduled to get paid 13 mil in 60 days as you agreed per your contract.

Now, if Keim told him he would re-work the remaining 4 years of his deal at a 10.5 mil cap hit, and guarantee the first 3 years at 7.4 mil per year (+ the 3.1 mil already counted by his signing bonus = 10.5 cap hit), Mathieu would agree to that. He would be guaranteed 22.2 mil instead of 13 mil, and would still be a free agent at 29 (28 if the Cards cut him on the last yera of his deal). However, that would bind the Cardinals to Mathieu for 3 years, with no outs if he got injured or cut him.

5. DVontel

DVontel Registered

This is in no way a shot or remark to you, Brian, but this easy to say when we’re not the ones on field playing a rough game like football. I believe if you’re a professional athlete, you should aim as much as you can every deal.

kerouac9 and unseenaz like this.
  6. Azlen

Azlen Registered

They should definitely try to max out as much as they can but that also doesn't mean that a pay cut isn't in his foreseeable future. Maxing out his pay may mean restructuring his deal with the Cards rather than testing the open market.

Ouchie-Z-Clown and Brian in Mesa like this.
  7. Arz101

Arz101 Registered

TM hopefully accepts to restructure the way Gronk did. Meet the escalators in 2018 and get all the money back and 2019 free agency.

Doubt he will do it but that will be a way out for both parties.

Mitch likes this.
  8. WisconsinCard

WisconsinCard Herfin BIg Time Contributor

I think HB would be open to a restructure, like the one chopper outlined. What I wonder is would he be open to an out right pay cut? To me restructure mean he still gets all his money, an possibly more guaranteed if he signs it. Taking a pay cut would be just that, so if the Cards went to him about restructure, it is just to free up cap space.

9. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

Taking a pay cut may be the best way for HB to maximize his earnings. Being stubborn, refusing it, and getting cut may end up in less pay on some other team away from his support system. Just saying.

10. football karma

football karma formerly known as En Fuego

I think the real problem with HBs contract is the very high guaranteed salaries in 18 and beyond relative to his good, but not "top 3 safeties in the game" performance. Restructuring cant fix that

WisconsinCard likes this.
  11. Buckybird

Buckybird Hoist the Lombardi Trophy

Exactly.

Lesson learned, NEVER give a player a mega deal coming off a major injury I don’t give a damn who it is unless it’s a franchise QB & then I’m not breaking the bank.

One of the worst moves by Keim yet! Oh & giving Gresham huge $$$

jason_0891 and Chris_Sanders like this.
  12. Mitch

Mitch Crawled Through 5 FB Fields

The Cardinals have had horrible luck when it comes to big second contracts. What, was it a mere week or two after they re-signed Carson Palmer to his lucrative extension that he blows out his knee? Just as you said, look at Gresham this year. When they gave Whiz and BA lucrative extensions both a year before they had to, and both suddenly start losing. Go figure.

13. WisconsinCard

WisconsinCard Herfin BIg Time Contributor

I agree, that is what I was thinking when a poster said he heard on the news that the cards had approached him about a "restructure".

14. BW52

BW52 Registered

Just cut hois overpaid sorry ass and move on to someone who can run and tackle and cover people.Enough wasting time with a guy who is vastly overpaid and a simply can`t do the job required .Get him the hell out of dodge.Same with any of these guys.Time to re-tool and rebuild without overpaid coasting veterans.

15. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

He isn't going anywhere & there's no need to ''cut his sorry ass'.

gimpy likes this.