Tyrann Mathieu: "No way I'm taking a pay cut."

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Mitch, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Registered User

That is freaking easy, professional athletes get paid too damn much to begin with, but most especially the 'superstars'... no, I have never seen one player in the modern age outperform the value of their contract :)

2. ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals Registered

David Johnson - rookie year

Patrick Peterson his first 3 years

Badger his first 2 seasons.....he's getting it all back now.

That's just the Cards....

it does happen

3. Wellthatsjustfine

Wellthatsjustfine Free Agent

Bethea got brought back. Baker is the other starter. Matthieu is gone. Sad but true. JMHO

4. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

Now this is something I agree with.

5. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

Avatar bet that if he doesn't restructure & he stays I choose yours & if he doesn't restructure & is cut you choose mine? For a month. I just don't see the Cards cutting him under any circumstance. His instincts are still off the charts.

If he agrees to a restructure then all bets are off.

6. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

No...and here is why.

I am a Cardinal fan. My hopes, dreams, and wishes are all tied in to how well the Cardinals do... not bob safety or danny DE.
    Those guys are people, and as such there is a certain amount of self preservation, and also greed in their motivations. Thats fine... but I as a fan am not invested in their happiness..just their play...I love them just so long as they help the Cardinals win...as soon as they dont they need to go.
    There isnt a player in the league that would be okay with getting paid strictly based on their performance...some might say they are..right up until they get hurt and cant play.
    Player contracts are based partly on what a guy has already done and partly based on the speculation that they will continue to develop and perform. If that development and performance stop then the player is being over paid.

rookie contracts are actually paying a guy for what he did in college without ever knowing if he will perform in the nfl. Prior to the rookie scale it was ridiculous what some of those kids were getting paid. Matt Leinart got $50mil for a good rookie season and a great college career.
    Players are assets. Just like you or I may go into a mutual fund and move money away from stocks that are under performing so we can invest more in better performing stocks, a team has to take money from an under performing asset and move it where it can do more good.

as a fan, my investment is in the teams success. I dont care if the players go broke when their career is over... Thats why they get signing bonuses, thats why they get guaranteed money.
    Ever notice that?? They player gets guaranteed money but the team doesnt get guaranteed performance?

I notice nobody is jumping up and down trying to defend Josh Mauro... that guy way out performed his contract... got a modest raise...and after one down year everybody is cool cutting him to save $2mil on the cap

7. BW52

BW52 Registered

8. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIMâ„¢ Contributor

Rookie contracts are based off of your draft position. They are for a set amount. You sign and play. It's what you are paid whether you ride the bench or go to the Pro Bowl.

Those drafted earlier make more than those who did drugs, were kicked off their college team, and fell to the 3rd round in the draft...or those who were not drafted.

It is what it is.

You get drafted, you sign, you play, and you get a bigger payday on your next deal based on your performance.

9. AZ Native

AZ Native Living is Easy with Eyes Closed Contributor

But couldn't cutting him save the Cards a lot of bucks? Per the contract.

10. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

Paul Goldschmidt

WisconsinCard and CardsFan88 like this.
  11. Cardiac

Cardiac Registered User

HB is still a quality starting safety in the NFL. Currently he is over paid based on last seasons performance which was solid but not 14 million worth. He had played the most snaps of any player so he does have value and I think his locker room presence is a positive one.

The reason I want him to rework his deal and take a pay cut is the Cards need the cap space. Nothing against or for him, it's about the team getting better. BA loved HB and it's my impression that SK does as well. Will that help or hinder the situation?

Go Cards.

BillsCarnage likes this.
  12. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

Please. We save 4.8 mil vs the cap this year keeping him. Cutting him next year would be similar. The only thing I care about in 2020 is keeping a roster good enough to not have to fire my head coach. I don't give a damn about the cap dollars then.

SO91 likes this.
  13. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

You have to sign a slot CB and a S to replace what he does every week. That is not cheap or easy.

cardncubfan likes this.
  14. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

We have a safety who plays like him

slot CBs who are behind their receiver every down are a dime a dozen.

I LOVE HB pre injury but he was bad last year.